The Student Room Group

Prove sin(x) + cos(x) /=/ 1

Scroll to see replies

@Mihael_Keehl

cosx+sinx=2sin(x+π4)cosx+sinx=\sqrt{2}sin \left(x+\dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)

2sin(x+π4)=1\sqrt{2}sin \left(x+\dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)=1 only for certain values of x, certainly not for all xRx \in \mathbb{R}.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
@Mihael_Keehl

cosx+sinx=2sin(x+π4)cosx+sinx=\sqrt{2}sin \left(x+\dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)

2sin(x+π4)=1\sqrt{2}sin \left(x+\dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)=1 only for certain values of x, certainly not for all xRx \in \mathbb{R}.

nice thanks
Reply 42
Original post by Mihael_Keehl

Makes slightly more sense now, but it's a bit of a non question. It's like asking why x2+2x+10x^2 + 2x + 1 \neq 0. Sum of sinusoids are sinusoids themselves, so sinx+cosx\sin x + \cos x is a sinusoidal graph and hence varies, that is, it is not a constant (straight) line.
Original post by Zacken
Makes slightly more sense now, but it's a bit of a non question. It's like asking why x2+2x+10x^2 + 2x + 1 \neq 0. Sum of sinusoids are sinusoids themselves, so sinx+cosx\sin x + \cos x is a sinusoidal graph and hence varies, that is, it is not a constant (straight) line.

I see yea.

Why is it sinusoidal and not a combination of them both - and also is there such thing as a cosuiod?
Reply 44
I see yea.

Why is it sinusoidal and not a combination of them both - and also is there such thing as a cosuiod?

It is a combination of them both, but you need to realise that cosine is just sine shifted backwards by a bit, so it's still a sinusoid. Cosine is a translation of sine that comes in useful so often we gave it its own name.

I see.

So just by contradiction then?

Nothing we can do by induction or anytihng else.

*counterexample

If you can provide an example where it doesn't work, then you have proven the statement is false. I'm not sure whether there is a way of solving by induction or by another method, but there would be no point in doing that if you can just do proof by counterexample.
Original post by TimGB
*counterexample

If you can provide an example where it doesn't work, then you have proven the statement is false. I'm not sure whether there is a way of solving by induction or by another method, but there would be no point in doing that if you can just do proof by counterexample.

Yes I get that, thank you for your reply.

Original post by Zacken
It is a combination of them both, but you need to realise that cosine is just sine shifted backwards by a bit, so it's still a sinusoid. Cosine is a translation of sine that comes in useful so often we gave it its own name.

Thanks for the info.
Reply 47
Original post by Asklepios
True but that's not really a triangle is it. But I agree stupid question unless you exclude 0 and 2pi from the domain.

Non Euclidian geometry :biggrin:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
32+42=523+4=53^2+4^2=5^2 \nRightarrow 3+4=5

Not applicable since these are trig functions but is thinking along the right lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Add to it's derivative and divide by 2. LOLOLOLOL
Then take the derivative again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
This should work

Lets assume sinx + cos x = 1 and call it statement A

We also know sin^2 x + cos^x =1, which we'll call statement B

If we square statement A we should have (sin x + cos x)^2 = sin^2 x + cos^x +2sinx cos x = 1

minus statement B from statement A^2 leaves us wth 2sin x cos x = 0, which is only true when sin x or cos x = 0, which is also the time when sin x + cos x would equal 1.
I'm loving derivatives. How to prove sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1? Just take the blimmin' derivative. (Circular reasoning for the circular functions)
Original post by physicsmaths
Not applicable since these are trig functions but is thinking along the right lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just explaining what OP meant.

Quick Reply

Latest