The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caseyhaynez
Hi new to this forum not sure where to post, looking for some advice.

Basically I am not really happy with where I am with my job so will just explain and try to keep it brief.

After school I did a BTEC in animal management as I liked animals. This went well, got top marks and did some great work experience.

Wasn't sure what to do after this so did degree in animal management / wildlife management at same college. This went badly for various reasons and dropped out after a year and a half.

Went to university the same year to do environmental health. Found it hard but graduated with a 2.2 when I was 23.

However I chose not to do a placement year whilst at uni because of time I had already spent in HE back home. This means I don't have the experience to get a job relating to my degree.

Since I have graduated I have done various jobs and some travelling, now working in an office for the police force here.

I am turning 25 soon and have no career and still live with my parents. I don't want to do an environmental health placement year now as they tend to be unpaid.

I was wondering what the way forward would be? I was thinking of using my office experience to move up to a slightly better job then maybe look into doing my own business in a couple of years.

I have applied to a couple of jobs related to my degree but it's unlikely for the reasons I mentioned so I just want to be realistic with myself.

Hi CaseyYour story is not as unusual as you think. Lots of peoplestruggle to find their path and may bounce around a bit trying to figure it outAt this point it would seem to me that your idea of usingyour office experience to find a slightly better job is a good one. At thatpoint I would urge you to start saving so that when you are ready to start yourbusiness you have some cash to do it. Even the cheapest businesses to startstill need a bit of capital.Office experience gives great skills around organisation,people, understanding business finances, dealing with customers… all the thingsyou will need when you are ready to start somethingGood luckVivi
Original post by CrawfordDave
I really want to go self-employed (ltd company) as the job market is pretty dire at the moment.

I have a Degree in Business and Management but no actual experience of working in a business environment.

What kind of business could I do with little startup costs?

I've been thinking about a Marketing company but I only really know the theory from my degree.

Suggestions would be appreciated so I can figure it out from there.

Hi CrawfordI would be careful about starting a business with noexperience, no clients and no hard-core real skills. The marketing space isextremely crowded with people offering all levels of experience and advice. Itwill be difficult to make a dent if you don’t have, what is commonly referredto in startup land, as “secret sauce” the thing you have and can sell that noone else does
Do you have some ideas, process or methodology no one elseis doing that you could do and revolutionise someone’s business? Get them morecustomers, get them more exposure, help them make more money…Depending what kind of business you want to set up willdetermine your start up costs. If you do an online business you just need awebsite this is probably the cheapest option… but you will still need somemoney and it will take you three times as long and twice as much money to makeany money at all.Starting a business is not an “easy solution” so make sureit’s a path you really wantThere is lots of advice out there for young entrepreneurs(Princes Trust, startup loans…) and heaps of online reading and information - Iwould urge you to read as much as you can about enterprise and business and getsome ideas which might help.Good luckVivi:p:$
Original post by pinkstudent63
Everything I think of seems to have downfalls and I know there are always faults but I want to spend my time doing something that I love. I'm nearing the end of my criminology degree (if I get a good grade), I've looked into a part-time job but that is dependent on somewhere having vacancies available and myself being chosen, I've thought about starting my own business but so far haven't sold anything and it seems very difficult to sell much or get good prices online, I've thought about doing a blog but there are so many out there and it seems to require a lot of time and it is unlikely that I will earn much, if anything. I've thought about teaching but it seems to take up much more hours than they state. Even teaching assistants don't seem to earn much for the hours that they do.

Hi PinkstudentYep there are upsides and downsides to everything in theworkplace (well, to life really)The honest truth, that everyone is terrified of saying outloud to you is this: you aren’t going to get everything you want. You haven’treached a point in your career where you have no experience and can expect todo what you love and get well paid for it. Sorry…Starting a business is not the easy answer starting abusiness is a million times more tough than going into work 9-5 and getting asalary.At this stage of your career the money is likely to be rubbish(for the most part) and the work is hard (for the most part)My advice would be to figure out what you love and want todo and then finding a path that can satisfy that but figure out what you arewilling to compromise on are you happy to make money and do work you don’tlove, or do you want to do work you love and get less money. Or finally are youwilling to put a few years of hard work, blood sweat and tears in order tocreate a job you love that can earn you good money.Sorry Pinkstudent there is no easy path to easy happinessand riches. If there was someone would have discovered it a long time ago.Vivi.
Original post by Trihawk7
I'm literally only 17, but I own an online store that makes profits in the thousands. Can I and if I can, how will I put this on a CV without making it sound fake because it can't be proved that I built it myself?

I'm not really in need for a CV right now but it'd be nice to know :smile:

thanks

Hi Trihawk,First of all congrats that’s awesome :smile:If you have built a web-business then you simply need to behonest and humble about it on your CV, note down your accomplishments, tellyour story, and be sure to provide the site address.If someone asks for proof you will have domain ownership, apaypal account and access to the back-office function of the site. I wouldn’tworry about this until you are asked for it. Also you should have somereferencesIt is fab that so many young people are setting up businessand making a success of them so the story is more believable than you wouldthink (as long as you are telling the truth) so just do your thing!Good luckVivi:tongue:
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hey

I am seriously considering starting my own business.

I am thinking of starting an online shop full of a variety of nail polish brands but I don't know where to begin or exactly how to start.

I know that starting a business is a lot of work.

Any tips?

Hi DeeA business is a huge amount of work and stress. Now that we have that out of the way I suggest starting onebay or etsy. All the infrastructure is there and the payment is all taken careof (though of course they will take a cut) and it will enable you to test yourthinking without a real investment of money. Then if you find it works, you canset up your own site…:tongue: I would check out the story behind “Nasty Gal” they startedwith clothes and have built a multi-million dollar business.Read it, analyse it and think about how it might apply toyour own dreamGood luckVivi
Original post by CompSci89
I'm studying computer science, I would like to ask what kind of small business can I start? I hold CCNA, I'm studying programming, web development, software development.

I'm quite good at what I do, I'm not aiming to be big, just a small business which grows steadily.

1) IT consulting (web development, security, specs, network-I hold a CCNA, etc)
2) Software testing
3) IT training
4) Learning programming, web development classes

As again, I'm getting qualified, I hold A+, CCNA, I'm learning programming, software development, object orientated programming, web development.

Comments appreciated.

Hi Comp,You can start any business you want you are onlyrestricted by what you think you want to do.That said you are qualified in the field currentlyexperiencing enormous growth and if you are a new graduate you are best offgetting some experience and learning the basics of business while also earningsome salary.:tongue: If you earn some cash and can save a bit you will setyourself up for success. No matter the business you start you will still need some money and it willtake you three times as long and twice as much money to make any money at all. :colondollar:Starting a business is not an “easy solution” so make sureit’s a path you really want. In the meantime why not list yourself as asolution on websites like elance, peopleperhour and other freelancing sites toget some early ideas about whether it’s a path you are interested inThere is lots of advice out there for young entrepreneurs(Princes Trust, startup loans…) and heaps of online reading and information - Iwould urge you to read as much as you can about enterprise and business and getsome ideas which might help.Good luckVivi ck.nT�U�K�
Original post by Perplexing Pleb
Hello, I am currently on my gap year and whilst I have tried to look for work that isn’t office admin or retail it has been rather unsuccessful. As a result I have decided to continue to look for a work but in the meantime I am considering starting my own pc repair business. I also need to send a university application very soon and I figured that showing a bit of entrepreneurship will look very good considering I am applying for a business related course.

I have done some research and in the area (Lewisham, London)there are a few small computer repair stores as well as curry’s/pc world. But the advantage I have is that I can easily undercut their prices and I will be able to travel to people’s homes within the area which is something these places don’t offer. However most these places do a lot than just repairs PC’s and laptops e.g. iPhone repair. This is something I can learn in the long term but I think it will be much easier to start out just repairing computers for now.I have looked into marketing. There are plenty of local newspapers and newsagents I can put up ads in and I can also make use of the web.

I am basically just looking for some advice as to how viable this might be. To be clear this doesn’t have to support me financially although that would be a bonus. Furthermore I will have to work from my home so I can’t have a store front or anything like that.

Hey PP, Sounds like you are pretty well thought about about the prosand cons. Well done. Demonstrating entrepreneurship does look great on the CV andis also genuinely good experience should you decide to walk that path later. It sounds like your strategy has some good potential but Iwould urge you to think about your personal safety and security if you aregoing to be going into people’s homes. Even small ads in local papers will cost some money buttheres lots of advice out there, especially for young people (Princes Trust,startup loans…) and heaps of online reading and information - I would urge youto read as much as you can about enterprise and business and get some ideaswhich might help.Good luckVivi
Original post by midwolf
I was wondering if anyone here would know of a job that would be perfect for someone like me. I'm a bit lost in life right now, and not sure what I want to do. I also know a lot of jobs get lost under the radar.

The reason I post this here is because I think freelance work (or maybe forming my own business, who knows) is 'for me'. You guys have experience so I think you're best to give advice.

I'll list some things and if you could suggest something that'd be swell. I'm doing my own research at the same time to help myself.

- I'm (very) independent
- Adventurous (Like, explorer adventurous - want to travel)
- Very good at analysing and giving meaning to data/text
- I want to learn everything I possibly can, don't want to be doing the same task everyday (that's maddening)
- Don't particularly care about pay
- I'm great at graphic and web design
- Super creative
- Love planning things, love generating ideas

Buuuut...
- I'm not very stable
- Make really rash decisions
- Want to do my own thing
- Don't want to be told what to do

Hey midwolf I commend you on being self-aware about your qualities. It is hard for anyone to advise you about what you mightenjoy doing but that said I am going to take a stab at it and suggest that ifyou are indeed great at graphic design and the like you should considerfreelancing work. It will enable you to be creative and generate ideas in yourown space. You can be your own boss and learn in the meantime which potentiallyhaving some varied tasks. But here’s the tough-love No one is going to want to work with you if you aren’twilling to take instructions. Freelancers still work for clients who havebudgets and timelines and it is unprofessional (and potentially financiallycatastrophic for you) to not adhere to them. Money may not be a concern for you but it will be for themand if you are rash and unstable no one will work with you. Fact. There is nothing, in the world, ever that requires morediscipline, hard work and thoughtfulness than starting your own business andgiven what you have written I would be very wary of suggesting you do that. Freelance, see how you go if that’s what you feel is best ifthat is what you want but... tbh I would suggest you work at an agency firstand learn what is important to succeed on your own. It doesn’t sound as thoughyou are there yet. Lots of luckVivi
Original post by Kim^-^
So,
When i think of the future I really want to be working in the anime/ manga creating sort of business. Desigining the characters and stuff. And only very recently have seen that I could run my own business. However...
Would it be best to go to Uni and study Animation and that sort of thing, to gain experience?- This also will then means ill be with my friends.
Or,
Get a job straight up out of college and proceed from there? (Some how?)
I'm really stumped for what i should do next, as im beginning to worry and people are asking more and more... Any advice would be great :smile:
Thank you!

Hey Kim, Don’t worry about other people’s questions you need tocreate a path for yourself that ticks your boxes.I don't know the sector at all and if you are confused I would reach out to companies or individuals who are doing this and ask them what they would suggest.
In some industries uni experience is critical, others might prefer in work experience.
Also consider finding some jobs that you think are the kind of things you would love to do and check out what experience they are calling for (if you are brave, call the person who posted the advert and ask their advice)
The one thing you should never be afraid to do is ask questions of those who have answers... most people, if you approach nicely and humbly, will happily advise you or point you towards answers. I was just at a conference of some of the biggest names in technology and those guys, the heads of huge companies were asking questions and advise from others. We never stop needing to learn more
Lots of luck
Vivi
Original post by valentine93
I'm born in a business family that make some great product which require craftsmanship. The business grew, but it is just not enough. And I have very ambitious plan about it. I just wish I could expand the business with my expertise (Computer science).

On the other hand. I love R&D and I had been dreaming it since childhood but the thing is, it's not well paid in my place. I just feel so confused and lonely everyday. All of my friends is seeking for job. Except me. I'm lost...deep in my own dream.

What can I do? I'm stuck.

Hi Valentine
Sorry you are not in a good place - these decisions are hard and confusing but don't let it bog you down emotionally.
The question you need to ask yourself is what will make you happy - do you want to do work you love and not have a lot of money or have more money and do work you love less. No one can tell you whats in your heart

If you have plans for the family business, and if your family are supportive this would sound like a good place to start..

Don;t worry about what others are doing, I know its easier to say than do but everyone walks their own path.. you just need to find yours

lost of luck
vivi
Hi,
I currently have a small 'side-hustle' selling books on eBay, I have made a (sort of) reasonable profit over the past few months (about £270 since September) but I feel that it has been lagging recently.
Do you have any advice about how I could grow this hobby into a very small business and how I will be able to continue it into university?
Also, I know it's rather specific but where can I find information on currently best-selling books on eBay?
Original post by lasbracelets
I've started a blog shop mainly selling bracelets i have made and i'm also helping someone that makes and sells jewellery and also sells antiques, vintage items and collectables (which i have made websites for), i'm just not sure how to get sales. I've started an instagram and pinterest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi there
well done for starting your shop and for testing the market - sounds like a good time to ramp up some marketing and see how you get on to make sales

The first question is do you have facilities to sell? like do you have a payment gateway like paypal on your shop? are you using etsy or ebay for parallel distribution channels?

instagram and pintrest are fab and I would look at exploring a bunch of different channels to direct people to your blog shop - do you have a facebook page for example?

I suggest having a look at the story of Nasty Gal - though she started with clothing, it sounds like there is a lot you might learn from her journey. Her marketing was what made her a global brand.

Another channel i would consider are fashion bloggers. The top bloggers/instagrammers won't do anything for free but those that are growing their base may be interested in being the first to showcase cool new stuff. Do some research about how the Cambridge Satchel COmpany got started - they also started with barely any paid marketing and through their blogging network they have become iconic. Word of mouth is the most powerful tool at your disposal.

There is a huge amount of information online about how to test marketing methods and I would suggest trying so different things and seeing what works.

Wishing you huge luck - sounds like you are well on your way
Vivi :clap2::clap2:
Thanks to Vivi for answering all the questions today, we hope it was helpful!

Latest

Trending

Trending