The Student Room Group

Deloitte Bright start Audit Apprenticeship or University?

Hi, I have been offered a place on the Deloitte BrightStart scheme for Audit in the London office. I am very happy with this opportunity but coming from a Asian - Pakistani background I have had many people say it’s not good to do apprenticeship but instead do University. I want to and will take the Deloitte offer but just wanted to ask if taking The apprenticeship route over Uni will hold me back in the future. At Uni if I were to go I would do Accounting and Finance most likely from Manchester Uni. Thank you.
Original post by Zain_A_
Hi, I have been offered a place on the Deloitte BrightStart scheme for Audit in the London office. I am very happy with this opportunity but coming from a Asian - Pakistani background I have had many people say it’s not good to do apprenticeship but instead do University. I want to and will take the Deloitte offer but just wanted to ask if taking The apprenticeship route over Uni will hold me back in the future. At Uni if I were to go I would do Accounting and Finance most likely from Manchester Uni. Thank you.

Absolutely agree with your decision. Upon successful completion of my A-levels I did not go down the traditional university route but instead begun an AAT accounts apprenticeship and I have never looked back, the opportunity to learn and earn really kickstarted my career!
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel52
Absolutely agree with your decision. Upon successful completion of my A-levels I did not go down the traditional university route but instead begun an AAT accounts apprenticeship and I have never looked back, the opportunity to learn and earn really kickstarted my career!

I have heard people say not having a degree can hold you back from progressing in your career in your opinion would you say that is correct ?
Original post by Zain_A_
I have heard people say not having a degree can hold you back from progressing in your career in your opinion would you say that is correct ?

One of my family members started on the bright start scheme and within 3/4 years they ranked up to become senior - meaning if you had gone uni first got the degree and then entered Deloitte for example the people who started on the bright start scheme would be miles ahead of you. I don’t think not having a degree will hold you back but even then I’m pretty sure bright start allows you to get up to level 7 in qualifications depending on the sector and role! You’ve got a great opportunity ahead and trust me, going to uni regardless of how it may seem is not a great use of ur time. Interest with student loans is major sin, Allah provided you with an option away from that sin which you are very lucky for coz a lot of people usually don’t think to apply to apprenticeships and only apply uni bc schools just force it and end up going just for the sake of getting a degree and getting up all that debt for no reason! Also Deloitte is a really good place to work as a Muslim. They’re very accepting. Who knows which workplace you will end up at, at the end of your degree. May Allah make this path an easy one for you, and continue filling your life with barakah Ameen! Also congrats again on landing that apprenticeship!
Reply 4
Original post by alzamagic
One of my family members started on the bright start scheme and within 3/4 years they ranked up to become senior - meaning if you had gone uni first got the degree and then entered Deloitte for example the people who started on the bright start scheme would be miles ahead of you. I don’t think not having a degree will hold you back but even then I’m pretty sure bright start allows you to get up to level 7 in qualifications depending on the sector and role! You’ve got a great opportunity ahead and trust me, going to uni regardless of how it may seem is not a great use of ur time. Interest with student loans is major sin, Allah provided you with an option away from that sin which you are very lucky for coz a lot of people usually don’t think to apply to apprenticeships and only apply uni bc schools just force it and end up going just for the sake of getting a degree and getting up all that debt for no reason! Also Deloitte is a really good place to work as a Muslim. They’re very accepting. Who knows which workplace you will end up at, at the end of your degree. May Allah make this path an easy one for you, and continue filling your life with barakah Ameen! Also congrats again on landing that apprenticeship!

Thank you so much you have just cleared all my doubts may الله reward you Akhi. I will go ahead with the BrightStart it’s just some family friends had said Uni was a better option cause the degree and stuff but the way you explained it Allahuma Barik has cleared up everything. جَزَاكَ ٱللَّٰهُ خَيْرًا. In’Sha’Allah you hear back from Deloitte soon and we both get into Deloitte. Once again thank you so much Akhi may الله reward you ❤️🤝
Original post by Zain_A_

Definitely not! I began as AAT level 2 apprentice and have worked way up to the professional level (level 4) whilst journeying all the way with the same company. You do not need a degree to be successful or progress in your career.

AAT will enable me to then progress onto one of the chartered routes with exam exemptions - more than what you would get from going down the traditional uni route.
Reply 6
Original post by Rachel52
Definitely not! I began as AAT level 2 apprentice and have worked way up to the professional level (level 4) whilst journeying all the way with the same company. You do not need a degree to be successful or progress in your career.

AAT will enable me to then progress onto one of the chartered routes with exam exemptions - more than what you would get from going down the traditional uni route.

Makes sense thank you for you comment
Reply 7
Hi guys, please add my linkedin: Maahir Maloo, made a networking gc for all the offer holders. Please dm me on there , thanks
Original post by akarima.16
hey, I am starting the Deloitte bright start apprentice September 2024 in the Birmingham office. overall how do you think the first year went? are the exams really hard as im not that good at complex maths. my GCSEs for maths got cancelled due to covid so I was only given a grade 5 and for a levels I gained ABB with grade B in business studies that involved formula maths only .
I also applied to Large and Complex business unit within audit im not sure if this will make my experience harder as it's a larger business unit. do you think I should move to business portfolio instead
is the training beneficial like did they teach you everything from the very basics rather than assuming you should just know it
and if u was to fail would they kick you out?
Hi, I also got an offer for audit but in the Nottingham office
Reply 9
Original post by Jaguar765
Original post by akarima.16
hey, I am starting the Deloitte bright start apprentice September 2024 in the Birmingham office. overall how do you think the first year went? are the exams really hard as im not that good at complex maths. my GCSEs for maths got cancelled due to covid so I was only given a grade 5 and for a levels I gained ABB with grade B in business studies that involved formula maths only .
I also applied to Large and Complex business unit within audit im not sure if this will make my experience harder as it's a larger business unit. do you think I should move to business portfolio instead
is the training beneficial like did they teach you everything from the very basics rather than assuming you should just know it
and if u was to fail would they kick you out?
Hi, I also got an offer for audit but in the Nottingham office

whats your linkedin
Original post by maahir36
Hi guys, please add my linkedin: Maahir Maloo, made a networking gc for all the offer holders. Please dm me on there , thanks

I got in for the BCM audit team which I think stands for Banking Capital Markets?
Original post by ewgvrearb
I got in for the BCM audit team which I think stands for Banking Capital Markets?

Yeh it does, I also got BCM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending