The Student Room Group

2024 applicants: do you understand how student finance works?

This poll is closed

2024 applicants: do you understand how student finance works?

Yes I understand 15%
I have an idea but could do with some more information 48%
I don't understand 35%
Tell us more about your answer in this thread!2%
Total votes: 237
Student finance applications for 2024-entry will be opening at the end of this month. You can apply even if you're still waiting to get offers. :yy:

So, do you understand how student finance works and do you feel confident about applying?

We asked the same question in March last year and 44% of people had no idea what to do.

For some help getting to grips with the process, head over to our Student Finance Zone or you can Ask Student Finance England questions directly on our forum.
Original post by Vic Vinegar
Student finance applications for 2024-entry will be opening at the end of this month. You can apply even if you're still waiting to get offers. :yy:
So, do you understand how student finance works and do you feel confident about applying?
We asked the same question in March last year and 44% of people had no idea what to do.
For some help getting to grips with the process, head over to our Student Finance Zone or you can Ask Student Finance England questions directly on our forum.
I have a vague idea but could do with some more info :smile:
Original post by emm4nuella
I have a vague idea but could do with some more info :smile:

Is there any specific info you're after, or any questions you've got? I should be able to help out or point you in the right direction :smile:

We've also got some guidance on The Uni Guide:

Hope this helps! :five:
does student finance open tomorrow?
I was going to reapply for student finance, ready for next year but can't. It said for full time undergraduate 'You already have existing applications for all available academic years'. I'm very confused by this and any help would be great
Original post by emm4nuella
does student finance open tomorrow?
I've just checked and it looks like it is open now :grin:

Here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance
Original post by Matt_thew
I was going to reapply for student finance, ready for next year but can't. It said for full time undergraduate 'You already have existing applications for all available academic years'. I'm very confused by this and any help would be great
Ah that's strange. Have you tried doing it again since?
Hi! I can't seem to see find my course on the application, I am under the right section and the right uni, but nothing is there. What should I do?
Original post by x_sanjida
Hi! I can't seem to see find my course on the application, I am under the right section and the right uni, but nothing is there. What should I do?
Ooo I'm not too sure about this one unfortunately - I'll tag @Claire SFE in here to help :smile:

And you can ask any other questions in our Ask Student Finance England forum to get responses from student finance reps :smile:
I've just checked and it looks like it is open now :grin:
Here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

I've looked at the link and found out that as a British passport holder but having only lived in the UK for my GCSE's back in 2015-2017, I'm ineligible for student finance, a master's loan, and most other funding for postgraduate study. According to criteria, since I've lived overseas for the most part of my life, I technically classify as an international student but am also ineligible for any kind of loan here in China where I've been studying for the past seven years. Other than applying for independent scholarships and grants then, is there any way to get a local student loan or is my only other option borrowing money from friends and family?
Original post by dracollavenore
I've looked at the link and found out that as a British passport holder but having only lived in the UK for my GCSE's back in 2015-2017, I'm ineligible for student finance, a master's loan, and most other funding for postgraduate study. According to criteria, since I've lived overseas for the most part of my life, I technically classify as an international student but am also ineligible for any kind of loan here in China where I've been studying for the past seven years. Other than applying for independent scholarships and grants then, is there any way to get a local student loan or is my only other option borrowing money from friends and family?
That's a tough one - I'll tag @Claire SFE in here as I'm not an expert on this :smile:

If you post in the following forum, offical SFE reps will answer your query during office hours:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Give details such as where you are living now, when you have lived in the UK, your citizenship, if you have already taken a degree course and what course you would like to study.
Original post by normaw
If you post in the following forum, offical SFE reps will answer your query during office hours:
Give details such as where you are living now, when you have lived in the UK, your citizenship, if you have already taken a degree course and what course you would like to study.
Thank you!
I'm currently living in China
I lived in the UK between 2015-2017
I'm a British citizen
I'm currently finishing my undergrad in philosophy at Tsinghua
I'm applying for the MSt in Practical Ethics at Oxford
Thank you!
I'm currently living in China
I lived in the UK between 2015-2017
I'm a British citizen
I'm currently finishing my undergrad in philosophy at Tsinghua
I'm applying for the MSt in Practical Ethics at Oxford

You need to post your query in the following forum so that it will be answered by official SFE reps:

Original post by normaw
You need to post your query in the following forum so that it will be answered by official SFE reps:
Thanks for the reminder :grin:
My thread is currently being reviewed
Hi, my student finance has been approved for both maintenance and fees.

The maintenance loan is no way near enough, after reading further it mentions it is a standard amount whilst they process my evidence, before I start to pester them regarding this amount, am I right here? will my loan amount increase within 6 weeks even though it has already approved?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I did not expect it to work this way :smile:
Original post by declan2001_
Hi, my student finance has been approved for both maintenance and fees.

The maintenance loan is no way near enough, after reading further it mentions it is a standard amount whilst they process my evidence, before I start to pester them regarding this amount, am I right here? will my loan amount increase within 6 weeks even though it has already approved?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I did not expect it to work this way :smile:

Have you received a Notification of Entitlement letter, or have you logged into your account and this is the status at the moment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending