The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni- financial implications

Hello,

I’ve finished my first year of uni at Edinburgh- decided I don’t want to continue my course and don’t want to switch to another of the unis degrees. I love the city and my friends but ultimately I came here to learn and don’t feel I have from my course. I’d like to drop out and stay at home for a year, save up some money, decide what degree I really want to do. I’ve had some mental health issues worsen since being at uni so might be able to use evidence from my uni therapist to persuade them why I want to leave as well.

I received my last student loan end of April, I am **** scared that I’ll have to pay back the loan they just gave me- I used some of it for uni accom rent and paying back a relative for giving me money. What will happen if I drop out now? Could I drop out later on then the loan won’t need to be repaid asap…

Really anxious and scared- any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Original post by EVMD17
Hello,

I’ve finished my first year of uni at Edinburgh- decided I don’t want to continue my course and don’t want to switch to another of the unis degrees. ...

If you wait until August to withdraw from uni then you won't be required to pay back some of your maintenance loan. If you withdraw now, you will be required to pay back the portion of the loan that covers the summer holidays.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
If you wait until August to withdraw from uni then you won't be required to pay back some of your maintenance loan. If you withdraw now, you will be required to pay back the portion of the loan that covers the summer holidays.

Thanks- the deadline to apply for student finance for next year is the end of June. Should I still apply for student finance for second year even if I want to drop out? Then tell the uni in august and student finance that I don’t need the funding
Original post by EVMD17
Thanks- the deadline to apply for student finance for next year is the end of June. Should I still apply for student finance for second year even if I want to drop out? Then tell the uni in august and student finance that I don’t need the funding

If you are certain that you are not going to continue, then don't apply for further finance.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
If you are certain that you are not going to continue, then don't apply for further finance.

Thank you for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by EVMD17
Hello,

I’ve finished my first year of uni at Edinburgh- decided I don’t want to continue my course and don’t want to switch to another of the unis degrees. I love the city and my friends but ultimately I came here to learn and don’t feel I have from my course. I’d like to drop out and stay at home for a year, save up some money, decide what degree I really want to do. I’ve had some mental health issues worsen since being at uni so might be able to use evidence from my uni therapist to persuade them why I want to leave as well.

I received my last student loan end of April, I am **** scared that I’ll have to pay back the loan they just gave me- I used some of it for uni accom rent and paying back a relative for giving me money. What will happen if I drop out now? Could I drop out later on then the loan won’t need to be repaid asap…

Really anxious and scared- any advice would be appreciated, thanks

hey did you figure out what you wanna do ? i’m currently in the exact same situation except the only thing keeping me from dropping out is that me and a friend have a flat for next year. i haven’t contacted the landlords yet but im sure there must be a way for me to back out of the tenancy, if we find a replacement flatmate or something. just curious what you’ve decided to do as im really stuck
Reply 6
Original post by sunshinekth
hey did you figure out what you wanna do ? i’m currently in the exact same situation except the only thing keeping me from dropping out is that me and a friend have a flat for next year. i haven’t contacted the landlords yet but im sure there must be a way for me to back out of the tenancy, if we find a replacement flatmate or something. just curious what you’ve decided to do as im really stuck

Hey, I went ahead and told my uni I’m leaving- need to fill out some forms etc. but I’m going to prolong that hopefully so I don’t have to pay back the money so soon- I’ll speak to the uni financial team to talk about my situation and update here :smile: I also found a flat with friends but managed to get my deposit back- just don’t sign anything yet!! Then they can’t legally keep your deposit. If you have signed a contract I’m not sure but yeah try and find someone to replace you.
Reply 7
Original post by normaw

Is this true. I have been searching everywhere for this. I am legit in so much university debt and I 100% would like to drop out. I have been trying my best to not have to repay any of the loans right away and if this is true it is such a big relief. The financial team have been proper rubbish.
Original post by declanank
Is this true. I have been searching everywhere for this. I am legit in so much university debt and I 100% would like to drop out. I have been trying my best to not have to repay any of the loans right away and if this is true it is such a big relief. The financial team have been proper rubbish.

Yes it's true. Don't inform your uni that you are going to withdraw until the end of the summer hols, as you maintenance loan is calculated to cover you through the hols. You will then repay both loans as normal once you each the earning threshold for you loan.
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
Yes it's true. Don't inform your uni that you are going to withdraw until the end of the summer hols, as you maintenance loan is calculated to cover you through the hols. You will then repay both loans as normal once you each the earning threshold for you loan.

Hi, I’m in a similar situation, I have just been paid my university maintenance loan but I really don’t want to go back this term, I hate it so much but with bills and debt I have paid the majority of my loan out already, do your recommend not telling my university and just not turning up and withdraw in the summer or am I suppose to keep attending the course? Can anything happen to me if I don’t show up?
Original post by Meemoo2
Hi, I’m in a similar situation, I have just been paid my university maintenance loan but I really don’t want to go back this term, I hate it so much but with bills and debt I have paid the majority of my loan out already, do your recommend not telling my university and just not turning up and withdraw in the summer or am I suppose to keep attending the course? Can anything happen to me if I don’t show up?

Your uni can withdraw you if you don't attend lectures. etc.
What course are u studying if you don’t mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending