The Student Room Group

Study Abroad

I have been offered a place to study abroad at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign for a semester. I did put this as my second choice but I didn't really consider getting it, I thought I'd get my first choice or not at all. I am now not sure if I want to go - I get the feeling its completely in the middle of nowhere and also there is very few people from my uni going which would be difficult if I wanted to travel at weekends.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a study abroad experience here and can give me some advice. Thanks
Not sure why you made two threads asking the same question in the same forum. Here's my reply: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3899083
Original post by star__ox
I have been offered a place to study abroad at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign for a semester. I did put this as my second choice but I didn't really consider getting it, I thought I'd get my first choice or not at all. I am now not sure if I want to go - I get the feeling its completely in the middle of nowhere and also there is very few people from my uni going which would be difficult if I wanted to travel at weekends.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a study abroad experience here and can give me some advice. Thanks

Hi there!

I studied abroad in my 3rd year. Whilst I didn't study abroad to Illinois, I put it down as an option, I've visited the state and I studied in the US.

First of all, the university has an amazing reputation, so for an academic point of view, it's a great place to study. The location might be a bit more isolated than other places, but I really wouldn't worry about that too much, nor would I worry about people from your university going to the same place.

You will make so many friends so so quickly, especially as an international student. There will most likely be plenty of international orientation programmes and events when you arrive (they certainly had a lot when I arrived abroad) and you will meet loads of students like yourself. From my experience of the US, they are incredibly social and will constantly have events on to get to know people. Almost everyone I met drove a car, too, so whenever it came to weekends or holidays, it was easy getting away from the campus or even out of the state to see somewhere else.

Studying abroad is by far the best thing I have ever done, I could not recommend it enough. Although, do what you are most comfortable with and if you decide to study abroad, know it's a challenge, it can be hard but it is a truly incredible and unique experience.

If you have any other questions, please do let me know, I'm very happy to help! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending