The Student Room Group

Is there anything positive about the future direction of England?

Scroll to see replies

We know that Labour are finished and we are likely to have a Conservative government until 2025 minimum if not 2030 or beyond.

So I'm surprised the users of TSR are not more positive about the future of England.
Original post by RivalPlayer
I'm starting to believe that England isn't a good place to settle and have a family. I just don't see anything positive about the direction England seems to be heading in. We've got a buckling NHS, nurses leaving the NHS, doctors leaving the country, teacher recruitment crisis, problems with end-of-life care, an increasingly socially fragmented growing population and a lack of affordable housing.
We're constantly being told that we're a secular country yet no one ever talks about the growth of Islam which comes with its own issues in terms cultural changes and integration. And then there's Europe's migrant crisis which will likely worsen as conflicts unfold and the effects of global warming become more apparent. It is inevitable that Europe will cop the side effects of these emerging problems in a big way.

All of this stuff concerns me and in recent months, I've really started to think that England won't be the place to be if you plan on settling down, having a family and leading a good life. I think the ordinary citizen of the future will be living in a very fragmented society with low levels of social cohesion and will face a far poorer quality of life than they would today. I think Islam will also have a far greater presence than what we're used to now and that will create further division and friction in society. They'll be more non-diverse enclaves established with places like Newham / Tower Hamlets existing in far greater numbers. We'll see greater pressure placed on services and resources, but we'll accept it as a consequence of diversity because of our infamous tolerance.

The future doesn't look bright from where I'm sitting. Maybe I'm just overblowing it or perhaps you can relate.

How do you feel about the future of England?

A very thought provoking post. So much damage has been done by well meaning idiots since the 1960s. The welfare state has turned into a machine for producing feckless whingers with a huge sense of entitlement.
The brown stuff is about to hit the fan in a huge way in the next couple of years.
No, you began this with your stupid contribution to this thread. What has having degree, paying taxes, and having fewer health problems, and not claiming benefits have to do with being culturally integrated? A strict Muslim can satisfy all of those conditions and still be culturally segregated. But according to your definition he'd be well integrated into UK society.
No, I brought up money laundering to prove that Chinese people can be educated, have fewer health problems, not be on state welfare and be fundamentally dishonest people despite presenting the semblance of success.

And only 4 people despite the fact that Chinese immigrants have been in the UK since the late 1800s. Yeah, they're all about dat cultural integration.

I have already stated from first the very beginning, that british chinese are generally not segregated and well integrated based on first hand experience. Most people couldnt tell the difference between chinese students, chinese tourist (quite a lot of them) and chinese immigrants because people's passport are no on their foreheads.

There is no argue to that already. But you went on and talk about hidden crimes, which of course contradict itself, if the crime is hidden and secret, how would you know? And until now you could not provide any evidence how crimes are hidden.

Those are only 4 people that i can think of without googling that are currently active. If you want to start counting from 1800, there would be a long list and mostly i wont know them since i wasn't born. You could have used a bit of intelligence before spewing that last piece of idiocy.
I'm starting to believe that England isn't a good place to settle and have a family. I just don't see anything positive about the direction England seems to be heading in. We've got a buckling NHS, nurses leaving the NHS, doctors leaving the country, teacher recruitment crisis, problems with end-of-life care, an increasingly socially fragmented growing population and a lack of affordable housing.
We're constantly being told that we're a secular country yet no one ever talks about the growth of Islam which comes with its own issues in terms cultural changes and integration. And then there's Europe's migrant crisis which will likely worsen as conflicts unfold and the effects of global warming become more apparent. It is inevitable that Europe will cop the side effects of these emerging problems in a big way.

All of this stuff concerns me and in recent months, I've really started to think that England won't be the place to be if you plan on settling down, having a family and leading a good life. I think the ordinary citizen of the future will be living in a very fragmented society with low levels of social cohesion and will face a far poorer quality of life than they would today. I think Islam will also have a far greater presence than what we're used to now and that will create further division and friction in society. They'll be more non-diverse enclaves established with places like Newham / Tower Hamlets existing in far greater numbers. We'll see greater pressure placed on services and resources, but we'll accept it as a consequence of diversity because of our infamous tolerance.

The future doesn't look bright from where I'm sitting. Maybe I'm just overblowing it or perhaps you can relate.

How do you feel about the future of England?

Great post.

I share your pessimism but for personal reasons it isn't possible to leave the country right now. In your position I would definitely get out..

This country is in irreversible decline, in a whole continent in decline. We lack political leadership, the higher civil service is clueless, our economy is fragile, over reliant on financial services, and we have gob smacking debt and a stubborn budget deficit. The NHS is dreadful if you ever have to use it.

That would be superable or at least tolerable if we had any confidence in ourselves. Any self belief, but we don't. It is like we have given up as a country. We don't even dare teach much of our own history because we feel it is shameful somehow.

Over three hundred thousand immigrants (net) arrive to settle every year. According to the official figures. But last year over six hundred thousand NI numbers were issued so who can trust those figures?

English culture, my culture and I suspect yours is constantly being eroded by uncontrolled mass migration, and a balkanised, fragmented society is being created in which there are no shared values, no empathy. We are turning from being a nation, to nothing. Instead of living in a home as a family we all live in a hotel amongst strangers. If that makes any sense.

Get out if you can is my advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending