The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Jay P
ive got loads of good recipes, where do i post?

Either right here, or directly on to the wiki (making sure you add a link to the recipe to the main contents page article of the wiki as well) :smile:
Reply 221
Gratin of fish with cheese, tomatoes and herbs

Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins

Ingredients
75g/3oz gruyère cheese, grated
75g/3oz emmental cheese, grated (or use 150g/6oz gruyère instead)
3 tsp Dijon mustard
4-5 tbsp single cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
18 cherry tomatoes
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or tbsp chopped fresh basil
750g/1lb 10oz flatfish, such as plaice or lemon sole, filleted and skinned

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Place the grated cheeses, mustard and cream into a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
3. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place into a clean bowl, season with a little salt and add the herbs. Mix the ingredients well so that the cherry tomatoes are well seasoned.
4. Spread half the cheese mixture into a gratin dish (or into individual ovenproof dishes).
5. Lay half of the fish on top. Then place all the tomatoes and herbs on top of the fish.
6. Place the second half of the fish on top of the tomatoes, followed by another layer of the cheese mixture on top of the fish.
7. Transfer the fish to the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes (or 15 minutes for single portions)
until it has turned golden-brown and is cooked through.
8. To serve, place a portion of the fish on a clean plate and serve with a big green salad and some boiled new potatoes if you wish.
VARIATION
This dish can also be made using round, fleshy fish, such as haddock, cod or ling.
Use the same weight as the flatfish but place just one layer of fish in the dish.

I made this the other night and it was gorgeous!!
I also didnt have the right ingredients(didnt have gruyère so just used emmental)
and i used wholegrain mustard and it was still lovely.
Id recommend it!
Reply 222
sweet chilli noodles

ingredients
-sweet chilli sauce - i use blue dragon, which is available with lime aswell which is lush but any sweet chilli sauce will do.
-meat or fish- chicken or bacon or prawns or whatever floats your boat, a mix can be extra tasty!
-vegatables- onion, carrot, peppers (fresh or frozen)- use almost anything you want, as many or as little depending on what you like!
-noodles- sharwood noodles are good but any type are fine
-soy sauce
-garlic
-coconut and lemongrass- can be got in large supermarkets normally dried and crushed but fresh works perfectly aswell.

Method
- boil off the noodles for a few minutes as the directions describe and drain well and leave to the side.
-using a wok or large frying pan, heat some oil and add the meat/fish until cooked through
-add vegetables and garlic and coconut and lemongrass
-fry off for 5-10mins
-add noodles to wok, add sweet chilli and soy sauce as desired, and fry off until the noodles have been heated back through and serve.

try changing it up with whats added, adding different sauces makes a nice change, or using rice instead of noodles!

enjoy!
Gonna have to try that Jay_p! I may try it tonight actually, i have some sweet chili sauce yey.
Reply 224
Peanut butter with cheese on bread
sounds so wierd
but it is so lush!!! :biggrin:
Ingredients:
-White or brown bread depending on preference. I personally used wholemeal trying to act healthy
-Peanut butter,crunchy or smooth, I personally used the "whole foods" crunchy peanut butter one from Tesco which was 99p for 340g, it hasn't got sweeteners,sugars or other nasties :biggrin: lovely!
-heese,any kind works and it can be melted in any way,in a rush,microwave or under the grill an then a quick add of peanut butter for both ways. I used daryliea light but ANY Cheese would work , we didnt have any cheddar but that would taste lovely and so would red lecister.
Afterwards enjoy your fabulous food!:cool:
Instead of bread why not try toast
:ninja:
Most recipes from pages 1 to 5 of this thread (which are not stated as being copied from another website or chef) have been transferred to the wiki. The rest, from page 6 onwards will be done in time - please feel free to help out :smile:
Roger Kirk
Most recipes from pages 1 to 5 of this thread (which are not stated as being copied from another website or chef) have been transferred to the wiki. The rest, from page 6 onwards will be done in time - please feel free to help out :smile:

Was going to do some this week, but been a little busy...

I'll do some tomorrow evening, if not finish it up :yy:

Monday edit:- Yeah, ok, i feel like sin... long day at work, so i've not managed to do it, sorry... but I promise i'll get on it ASAP :smile:
Reply 227
gracie88
Gonna have to try that Jay_p! I may try it tonight actually, i have some sweet chili sauce yey.

you should definately try it!

Home Made egg fried rice

a really easy way to add something to a regular stir fry/chinese meal.

ingredients
-rice
-2 eggs
- peas and/or spring onions

Method

-firstly boil off the rice as normal, when it done drain it and wash with boiling water to remove the starch.
-get a deep frying pan or a wok and heat some oil
-beat the eggs and add to the wok/frying pan but only when the oil is very hot, and cook the egg a few minutes.
-when the egg is cooked add the peas and/or spring onions and cook for a minute or two
-add rice and cook until they have heated through and serve.
Ok, after what can only be described as a "shattering" week, I got round to updating the Wiki... which took bloody ages :p:

But once I found the format in the other thread, it was easy enough... just a few to get through:smile: so all the gaps from that merged thread should have been filled in.

Also RK, what's going on with the thread Fleur posted in there? The healthy meals thread... as there's LOADS :eek: and wondered if (in time) they're going to be transfered (and if they would be better having their own section, so "the Fitness lot" are kept happy/informed).

...phew.
Reply 229
chocolate fudge

Ingredients

450g icing sugar
50g butter
100g dark chocolate
45 ml (3 tblsp) milk

You will need: medium sized microwavable bowl/jug, medium sized dish

Break up the chocolate into small pieces, and put everything except the milk into the bowl. Cover bowl (pos. with clingfilm, but see posts 231 & 232 re: microwave safety) and microwave on high for 1 minute, check to see if the chocolate has melted, if not, return to the microwave and heat for another minute or until the chocolate has melted.

Add the milk, and stir until the ingredients are well mixed and have begun to thicken. Pour into the dish and flatten down with a knife, then leave for a few hours until set. You need to store this in the fridge.
Reply 230
cajunmoon
chocolate fudge

Break up the chocolate into small pieces, and put everything except the milk into the bowl. Cover bowl with clingfilm and microwave on high for 1 minute, check to see if the chocolate has melted, if not, return to the microwave and heat for another minute or until the chocolate has melted.

Add the milk, and stir until the ingredients are well mixed and have begun to thicken. Pour into the dish and flatten down with a knife, then leave for a few hours until set. You need to store this in the fridge.

I've been warned never to put clingfilm in the microwave :confused:
Reply 231
kestral
I've been warned never to put clingfilm in the microwave :confused:

Thanks for the heads up, I went to read up on it:

Apparently this is because some types of cling film melt if they are left in direct contact with food when it is microwaved, transferring chemicals onto the food. Another safety risk could be that, as with any microwaved food container, you need to be careful of escaping steam when you take the clingfilm off. The use of clingfilm in this recipe is okay because it is covering the bowl without coming into contact with the food, although I'm sure nothing catastrophic would happen if it was left off, aside from a slightly messy microwave if the mixture spat during cooking.

Basically, according to various websites, including a government one cited at the bottom of this post, the use of clingfilm in microwaves is okay so long as there isn't a specific warning on the packaging of the clingfilm against it and the clingfilm is not in contact with the food.

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=98&pageNumber=4
Reply 232
This is really easy, yet yummy:

Serves 4

400g tagliatelle
200ml creme fraiche
150g frozen peas
splash of lemon juice
200g sliced chicken/ham/quorn

1. Cook tag
2. when nearly ready add the peas then train and stir the creme fraiche and lemon juice in
3. sprinkle meat/quorn on top
4. voila!!
WooHoo !!
Thanks to Dalimyr for getting the thread stickying (through truely co-incidental circumstances :p:)

So I created the first post... it needs work, but it looks OK I think.
If anyone has any suggestions for it just give me a shout :smile:

Plenty of recipies already up, but there's still room for more :biggrin: especailly those a little different.... i'm thinking drinks and such like *licks lips* (NOTE: individual links will come, but I haven't got all that much time at the minute :redface:)

Oh, and finally, I made a quick guide to how to add your recipe in the Wiki, but due to technical difficulties, it has stalled a little. But if anyone else wants to create one (or re-design the front page) then that'd be cool. Again just say :biggrin:

Over and out.... - Chris
Reply 234
I've got another one, sounds odd but tastes great!!!

Minced Beef, Beans and Pasta Bake

Ingredients:

1 onion
350g minced beef
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can baked beans
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
mixed herbs
100g pasta
salt and pepper to taste

1. fry the onion and beef in a little olive oil until golden
2. stir in the remaining ingredients
3 season to taste
4. eat
CHICKEN JALFREZI

put 5 tablespoons of oil in a pan.

turn on the heat

After 7 minutes add Ground cumin seeds and crushed garam masala.

Chop and saute 5 garlic cloves, one onion and one piece of ginger. (make sure deyre peeled)

after 10 minutes add a tin of pineapple chunks, (not the syrup) and 2 chopped capsicums. stir, and after 5 minutes add 1.5 KG of chicken.

After 10 minutes add two tablespoons of tomato puree, a pinch of salt, one teaspoon of haldi (yelow powder) and red chili powder, depending on how hot u want it.

cook for 30 minutes stiring occasionaly. serve with naan, tossed salad and ice cold rubicon sparkling mango drink. enjoy
Reply 236
Eggy Mush

Fry up some random vegetables, Soft scramble 2 eggs, mixing the vegetables in, pour over grated cheese in a bowl, mash with fork (adding milk as necessary). Grill until bubbling on top of toast.

Shovel in :smile:
Roast chicken fillets with sun blushed pesto
Sounds posher than it is, absolutely gorgeous though and really easy to make, good one to impress your parents with.
For one
chicken breast
Jar of red pesto
Mushrooms
Onion
Cooking oil
Take the chicken breast and cut it into strips of about 1" width
Place in an oven proof dish and brush with oil
Spread a few spoonfulls of the red pesto over the chicken
Chop up your onion and mushrooms and throw the dish with the chicken (you could also use peppers, corgettes, w/e you like)
Cover with a little more oil, cover the dish and place in oven on gas mark 6/220 for about 30 mins.
Reply 238
Three Recipes, Two Desert and one Main.
There was going to be abnothe desert but I got bored f typing lol
So enjoy these three dishes and they are good :biggrin: Sold three hundred of chocolate supreme lol
Main.
Lemon Chilli Chicken.
(with Cous Cous)
:-Two lemons
:-Two/Three Chilli's depending on taste.
:-Clove of Garlic
:-1 Cube Inch of ginger
(or you could be lazy and just buy pre squeezed juice garlic paste and ginger paste)
Can be done with Either a Whole Chicken or Chicken Breasts.
Making The Marinade.
>Take the zest and juice of two lemons in a small bowl
>Finely slice/chop the chili's add to bowl.
>Finely chop ginger and garlic and add to bowl.

>Score into the chicken and cover with the lemon mix, if using a whole chicken make sure some is left to pour inside.
>Leave for a few hours, two at least.
>Once Rested Cook Chicken In oven if whole or Grill if Breasts.
Make cous cous as instructions provided on back of pack*

Desert One
Heres Death In a bowl but so so tasty its worth dying for.
Chocolate tower.
:-Best Triple chocolate cookies you can get
:-White Chocolate (250g)
:-Milk Chocolate (250g)
:-Plain Chocolate (250g)
:-Ice cream any falvour be experimental
:-Double cream

Whip Double cream until firm.
Melt each of the chocolate in separrate bowls... this is the longest part of it :smile:
Once melted place one cookie in the bowl and one scoop of ice cream on topand pour one of the melted chocolates over. then repat process with a different chocolate each time. to topp it off a lump of whipped cream with a dusting of cocoa powder on top.

Desert two
Caramel chocolate supreme...
Lots of chocolate again.
:- Chocolate swiss Roll
:- Milk Chocolate
:- Caramel syrup (this is hard to get but regularly found in coffee shops or ... whittards of Chelsea.)
:- Double Cream

Melt the chocolate and once melted add three teaspoons of caramel syrup in
Whip the Cream
Slice the swiss roll
Arrange swiss roll in the bowl pour chocolate over the top with a lump of cream on top sprinkle cocoa powder over.
sweet potato and spinach curry
serves 2 hungry people!
ingredients:
2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
250g spinach, washed
400ml coconut milk
1 tsp tumeric
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 chilli, deseeded and chopped
olive oil

Boil the sweet potatoes in water for about 10 mins until tender. Drain and leave to one side.
In a frying pan, fry the onion and garlic with the olive oil and a teaspoon of tumeric (or any spices you fancy!) for 2-3 mins and then add the chilli and fry for another 3 mins.
Add the coconut milk and stir the mixture until it has thickened slightly.
Add sweet potatoes and spinach and stir for about 5 mins, until spinach has wilted. You might need to add the spinach bit by bit as it's quite bulky til it's simmered down.

Serve with rice/naan bread :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest