The Student Room Group

How is everyone planning for uni 2022?

Do you have any preparation plans for uni? By this i mean:
How far in advance are you getting your stuff for uni?
Are you thinking of joining any societies?
Are you thinking of your budgeting or some of the recipes you will be doing?
Academically are you preparing beforehand like reading the course books?
Writing up places to visit if you're moving to a new city?
How do you feel about living alone or hopes and fears of sharing a flat/kitchen with others?

I can't wait to start uni, I'm really excited about it. I know everyone has a different approach to it but I love to hear people's plans before and after uni started. :smile: Xx

( I love planning and I've already made some few budgeting plans, gathered some recipes and collected some stuff like plates, cutlery ..etc.)
(edited 2 years ago)
I made 0 plans for university except perhaps buy a new laptop 2 weeks before term started. But then again, I remained in the same city and didn’t move out so there were no significant changes. I was also admitted to my course later than everyone else, so I didn’t do any academic preparation. I did do some academic preparation for the course I thought I was going to do, so if you’re given a reading list or recommendations for material to look through beforehand, that’s a good way to start off your term :smile:
Original post by RianaCsenge
How do you feel about living alone or hopes and fears of sharing a flat/kitchen with others?

I can't wait to start uni, I'm really excited about it. I know everyone has a different approach to it but I love to hear people's plans before and after uni started. :smile: Xx

( I love planning and I've already made some few budgeting plans, gathered some recipes and collected some stuff like plates, cutlery ..etc.)

Hey, @RianaCsenge

Good to hear that you're really excited about starting university, it's a pretty drastic lifestyle change that will completely change it for the better! I remember before my first year, I got my kitchen and general living stuff a couple of weeks beforehand and made a checklist for it. I originally planned to be a lot stricter with my recipes, budgeting etc but just naturally fell into that "what am I gonna have tonight?" sort of style. My biggest fear was always how I was gonna cook for myself every night, but you just learn as you go and it gets easier as the months go on. Now cooking is one of my favourite parts of the day.

I hope your experience is all you've hoped it will be!

Quinn - Official Student Ambassador

Hi @RianaCsenge,

Glad to hear that you're looking forward to starting your new chapter at university! Uni is well and truly what you make of it.

I quite like planning myself and got to preparing meal plans, budgeting, looking at places to visit in and around the city, and even checking out course related books.

I also looked up what sports clubs and societies I could join. The more I looked, the more excited I got.

I bought all my necessities bit-by-bit and moved quite early into my accommodation; as I wanted to familiarise myself with the city and campus, as well as test out my meal preps - to see if I could actually cook them without spending hours in the kitchen 😅, as well as to get used to cooking food everyday.

All the prepping really helped me out during my studies, I got quite used to living on my own and taking care of myself.

Hope this helps,
- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student

Hi there

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

I love how organised you are! For me, everything was very spontaneous. I showed up in Cardiff on move-in day with just a suitcase and brought things from IKEA and wilko in the first few days (just made sure to have the budget to be buying everything beforehand). I waited until the fresher's fair to decide what societies to join.

One thing that was particularly helpful was budgeting and knowing how I was going to spend my money (especially before freshers' week). I also had a great student cookbook that gave me easy and affordable recipes, which I used all the time in my first year.

I didn't prepare too much academically but I made sure to stay up-to-date with everything regarding my subject (mostly because I was interested but it came in useful).

I loved getting excited to move to Cardiff. I'd mostly watch Ticktoks. Then if I found interesting things to do, I'd save them on my google maps.

I stayed in a 10-bed mixed house in my first year. With a shared bathroom and such a mix of people, it was definitely an adjustment and I was apprehensive at first. However, it worked out to be super fun and great to meet so many new people!

Mostly, i'd just say to try to prepare but me relaxed and openminded - you're not going to know what it will be live for you until you get there and it's exciting!

I hope this help - good luck at uni :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending