The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Ugh I answered the Sarah and Rebecca probability question a really long way around. Multiplimg all the possible options, if I'm incorrect do you think I could lose all 4 marks.
Prob Sarah wins :0.445 and Rebecca 0.46.... Something a,ing those lines.
Original post by Raaj11
Yeah same here, i said the exact thing. Not sure if its write thou

I think we are right for the mean but for the standard deviation, it would decrease because the new value was the same value as the mean therefore there is less deviation in the data set now.
Reply 1182
Original post by pranto96
SD will not change! SD is root of sum of X - X bar divided by n. So as X- X bar is O is this case so sum of X-X bar do not change! so SD remains the same!

Yeah thats the same proof that i wrote s^2 sum(x-mean)^2 so yeah the sum - mean is zero. there for s doesnt change. I am not sure if its right thou
Exams are OVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :u::smile::smile::smile:
dreading results day tho :s-smilie:
Reply 1184
Original post by uk_shahj
I think we are right for the mean but for the standard deviation, it would decrease because the new value was the same value as the mean therefore there is less deviation in the data set now.

Yeah i figured out my mistake. The data would be less varied now so standard deviation would decrease.
I lost two marks for this question i guess?
Original post by pranto96
SD will not change! SD is root of sum of X - X bar divided by n. So as X- X bar is O is this case so sum of X-X bar do not change! so SD remains the same!
You're correct in saying that X - X bar stays the same, but n increases by one, so SD decreases.
Reply 1186
I did the questions I was unsure on twice and didn't cross out anything and that seemed to be a good idea since all my second answers were correct haha.

Also what was 100UMS for last year's stats? This one felt a little harder so hopefully it's lower this year
I got 0.6 for the first Venn Diagram question, lol.
I got this too... But seems no one get this answer
I calculated Syy in a very complicated way by using the mean to find the sum of x, and the standard deviation to find the sum of x squared and then used the formula I know! Is this OK too for the 1 mark?

Never done a formula for Syy with mean and SD!
Original post by Ae1in
Ugh I answered the Sarah and Rebecca probability question a really long way around. Multiplimg all the possible options, if I'm incorrect do you think I could lose all 4 marks.

I got this too but seems no one got the same answer
Original post by logicmaryam
Sorry haha, I messed up a few questions so it was much easier for me but I do think boundaries wont be lower than 60 for A
you are most likely an a2 resit, and you're not taking into consideration that the people who use student room are normal a/b grade students and you all forget about the countless numbers of people who will fail this and as there were no easy marks ( box plots) (draw venn diagram) in which people will pick all their marks up on. meaning boundaries will be significantly lower than last years by 2 marks give or take you found it easy because you're either retaking and have had 2 years of stats or you are naturally good at maths and will therefor be park of the a* boundary in which will not affect the other boundaries. so don't be so patronising for the other students by saying that the boundaries will be 64 for an A or definitely won't be sub 60 for an A.
Original post by Raaj11
Yeah i figured out my mistake. The data would be less varied now so standard deviation would decrease.
I lost two marks for this question i guess?

Original post by ShatnersBassoon
You're correct in saying that X - X bar stays the same, but n increases by one, so SD decreases.

I said the mean remains the same, but standard deviation is unchanged!

I didnt put any explanation dosn, do they need explanation for the marks? The question didnt say explain..
Reply 1193
Original post by themechguy
I calculated Syy in a very complicated way by using the mean to find the sum of x, and the standard deviation to find the sum of x squared and then used the formula I know! Is this OK too for the 1 mark?

Never done a formula for Syy with mean and SD!

Do u know what u got for you Sxy and the pmrc ?
I know 0.1 and 0.2 is wrong for P and Q, but can someone tell how many marks I'll lose, cause my working for the rest of q was all right, just used the wrong numbers
Reply 1195
Original post by themechguy
I said the mean remains the same, but standard deviation is unchanged!

I didnt put any explanation dosn, do they need explanation for the marks? The question didnt say explain..

I think they said give a reason for it, so i am assuming you have to explain something.
Original post by hbaig27
I know 0.1 and 0.2 is wrong for P and Q, but can someone tell how many marks I'll lose, cause my working for the rest of q was all right, just used the wrong numbers

will get all the method marks but loose all the A1 marks and some B1 maybe, so you would get about 50% of the marks, that is usually the case.
Original post by Megan3245
Exams are OVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :u::smile::smile::smile:
dreading results day tho :s-smilie:

Lucky still got 6 exams left !!!!:frown::angry:

Original post by Fmathslad
you are most likely an a2 resit, and you're not taking into consideration that the people who use student room are normal a/b grade students and you all forget about the countless numbers of people who will fail this and as there were no easy marks ( box plots) (draw venn diagram) in which people will pick all their marks up on. meaning boundaries will be significantly lower than last years by 2 marks give or take you found it easy because you're either retaking and have had 2 years of stats or you are naturally good at maths and will therefor be park of the a* boundary in which will not affect the other boundaries. so don't be so patronising for the other students by saying that the boundaries will be 64 for an A or definitely won't be sub 60 for an A.

Lol, someones angry :colone:. Getting vexed quick.
Original post by Ae1in
same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending