The Student Room Group

St Andrews vs UCL

Okay, so I have been offered a place to study Modern Languages at both of these wonderful universities, and I am really struggling to make a firm decision. One day I'm really pro-UCL and other days I am so pro-St Andrews, so I'm finding it really hard to make a final decision on the matter because my views change almost daily.

Some information on my situation:
-I have an AAB offer for French and Danish at UCL and a AAA offer for French and Hebrew at St Andrews.
-Grades are unlikely to be an issue, I got 5As last year and I'm hoping for a mix of As/A*s this year.
-I live in Central London, very close to UCL, but would probably move out for first year anyway?! Not sure on that one..
-I train at a high level in Singing and Piano, and need to have accessibility to facilities where I can carry on with that.
-St Andrews would be a 5 year course, whilst UCL would be a 4 year course
-UCL has a better ranking worldwide, but for languages they seem to come in quite close to each other.

Basically, I don't want you guys to make the decision for me, but I would really appreciate some help and advice, particularly from those of you who already go there.

Thanks a bunch :smile:
Which language do you want to learn, Danish or Hebrew? That really should be the only question you're asking yourself at this point. Research the courses thoroughly at each university, think about what modules you want to take and the year abroad options. UCL and St Andrews are really very different in terms of course structure, and UCL has a lot more module choice.
Original post by LamantChenille
Okay, so I have been offered a place to study Modern Languages at both of these wonderful universities, and I am really struggling to make a firm decision. One day I'm really pro-UCL and other days I am so pro-St Andrews, so I'm finding it really hard to make a final decision on the matter because my views change almost daily.

Some information on my situation:
-I have an AAB offer for French and Danish at UCL and a AAA offer for French and Hebrew at St Andrews.
-Grades are unlikely to be an issue, I got 5As last year and I'm hoping for a mix of As/A*s this year.
-I live in Central London, very close to UCL, but would probably move out for first year anyway?! Not sure on that one..
-I train at a high level in Singing and Piano, and need to have accessibility to facilities where I can carry on with that.
-St Andrews would be a 5 year course, whilst UCL would be a 4 year course
-UCL has a better ranking worldwide, but for languages they seem to come in quite close to each other.

Basically, I don't want you guys to make the decision for me, but I would really appreciate some help and advice, particularly from those of you who already go there.

Thanks a bunch :smile:

UCL 9000%.

UCL is a significantly stronger university overall.
Reply 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending