The Student Room Group

The NUS is irrelevant?

Poll

What should be done with the NUS

As many of you may have noticed the National Union for Students has drawn a lot of criticism for its views of not condemning ISIS, banning gay white men as 'they aren't oppressed and for generally not representing the average student.

However obviously this is organisation for students which is arguably necessary for the support of students, so what can be done or should it just stay the same?

Amend or abolish?
Or just leave it alone?

Students and non-students welcome

Scroll to see replies

Just abolish the bloody thing. Does it honestly do anything that can't be sorted out by students' unions on a local level, other than engaging in masturbatory, ineffectual activism? The NUS is one of those things which you're afraid to throw away, not because it actually has any use, but because you're afraid that it may reveal a use for itself in the future.
It needs to go back to it's roots and focus on improving the lot of UK students

But as we know it has become a minority clique serving minority views (as we have seen with the recent DBS issue at one uni where people were actively denied the chance to vote as some thought the issue too complex for them)
The NUS is a nest of confused SJWs who are so achingly politically correct that they actually come full circle and become bigoted (like passing resolutions demanding gay men "stop acting like black women" and criticising straight men who have the temerity to put on women's clothing, if it is done like on a rugby tour rather than as a serious statement)

They are a joke. Get rid
Reply 5
The NUS are an hilarious bunch of ultra- PC nonsense spouting idiots.

The only reason anyone joins it is to get cheap clothes and booze.

Get rid.
Reply 6
Original post by neb789
As many of you may have noticed the National Union for Students has drawn a lot of criticism for its views of not condemning ISIS, banning gay white men as 'they aren't oppressed and for generally not representing the average student.

However obviously this is organisation for students which is arguably necessary for the support of students, so what can be done or should it just stay the same?

Amend or abolish?
Or just leave it alone?

Students and non-students welcome

The NUS provide some brilliant core services for students.. but they are a political joke. They are a mouthpeice of the left and have no place issuing rulings on politics given how the turnout is for any of their referendums. Their safe space debate ideas are beyond stupid, apparently you should not express disagreement with somebody's point.

Moral of th story.. the NUS should provide student services and keep out of politics.
get rid or reform massively , I don't need these lunatics claiming to represent me
The NUS are an absolute laughing stock and have been for a very long time. I don't think anyone but total cretins are sincerely interested in what they do or say. Whatever they do hardly matters because they're irrelevant. It would be nice if they disappeared, but as it stands they serve as an excellent example of how absurd political correctness, identity politics, and progressivism can become when allowed to reach their ultimate conclusion.
Reply 9
Abolish. They serve zero purpose and are entirely ineffective.
Reply 10
Original post by BaconandSauce
It needs to go back to it's roots and focus on improving the lot of UK students

But as we know it has become a minority clique serving minority views (as we have seen with the recent DBS issue at one uni where people were actively denied the chance to vote as some thought the issue too complex for them)

What happened there?
Reply 12
Original post by neb789
But haven't students always been relatively apathetic?

Yes.

But i think the issue here was they tried to get the students involved

'there was a discussion about taking the issue to a wider vote on campus:

Except they didn’t think it necessary. This bunch decided they were ‘representative enough’!'
Reply 14
Original post by BaconandSauce
Yes.

But i think the issue here was they tried to get the students involved

'there was a discussion about taking the issue to a wider vote on campus:

Except they didn’t think it necessary. This bunch decided they were ‘representative enough’!'

Hahaha almost like saying 'I find myself innocent!'
Original post by neb789
Hahaha almost like saying 'I find myself innocent!'

:biggrin:
The NUS is a circlejerk of politically correct commie lefties who won't survive in the real world
Original post by neal95
The NUS is a circlejerk of politically correct commie lefties who won't survive in the real world

hahaha well said sir.
I'm more than happy to put up with the irrelevant political guff that they come out with as long as I get my 40% discount at Pizza Express.
Kill it with fire, immediately. :headfire:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending