The Student Room Group

The University of Edinburgh vs NUS for Engineering?

So, I got into NUS with the NUS College International Scholarship (100% scholarship) to study Systems and Industrial Engineering. I also hold an offer from the University of Edinburgh to study Engineering BEng/MEng.

In terms of cost, QS ranking, course material, and flexibility NUS takes the lead. However, I really LOVE the University of Edinburgh as the whole - the vibe, its history/pedigree, the city & culture, and its general style of teaching. I wish to do my graduate studies in the US and I feel like the University of Edinburgh will offer more recognition when compared to NUS. Also, I believe that I will have a "proper" study abroad experience at the University of Edinburgh when compared to NUS because of the diversity. Although, NUS does offer great student exchange programmes.

Even though this is the case, I’m not sure if paying a huge amount for the University of Edinburgh will be worth it in the end. Can an offer from the University of Edinburgh beat a 100% scholarship at NUS? I would love to get some opinions on this. Thanks!

I’m an international student (Indian) btw.
Can you easily afford Edinburgh plus the cost of postgrad in the us?
Original post by ajj2000
Can you easily afford Edinburgh plus the cost of postgrad in the us?

My parents are okay with me going there and going to the US for grad. But the main question is that if Edinburgh will be worth 35k per year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PotatoJack334
My parents are okay with me going there and going to the US for grad. But the main question is that if Edinburgh will be worth 35k per year.

Do you particularly prefer one course over another?

For me £35k a year isn’t worth it. Over 4 years it’s a huge amount. Plus you could fly into Edinburgh and spend a whole summer there for a fraction of that annual cost. And weekends in Bukit Lawang. Tsr won’t allow me to post the name by which it is more commonly known!
Original post by ajj2000
Do you particularly prefer one course over another?

For me £35k a year isn’t worth it. Over 4 years it’s a huge amount. Plus you could fly into Edinburgh and spend a whole summer there for a fraction of that annual cost. And weekends in Bukit Lawang. Tsr won’t allow me to post the name by which it is more commonly known!

But going there for vacation wouldn’t be the same as living there and studying/collaborating with people from different walks of life.

Anyways, I think 35k pounds per year and over 140k for my undergrad studies might not be worth it.
But going there for vacation wouldn’t be the same as living there and studying/collaborating with people from different walks of life.

Anyways, I think 35k pounds per year and over 140k for my undergrad studies might not be worth it.

I absolutely agree about experiencing a different way of life. Have you lived in SIN before? Some great options for quick trips to Malacca and Sumatra, plus flight to Jakarta, Bali etc. Some really history and culture there.

Not sure how international NUS is? I know some Italian researchers there. I’d imagine a bit less so than Edinburgh - at least in terms of range of cultures but could be wrong. Any choices for years overseas?
Original post by ajj2000
I absolutely agree about experiencing a different way of life. Have you lived in SIN before? Some great options for quick trips to Malacca and Sumatra, plus flight to Jakarta, Bali etc. Some really history and culture there.

Not sure how international NUS is? I know some Italian researchers there. I’d imagine a bit less so than Edinburgh - at least in terms of range of cultures but could be wrong. Any choices for years overseas?

NUS has great student exchange programmes but the programme only last for a semester (6 months). I feel that 6 months won't be enough for me to fully explore the country that I will end up going in the exchange programme.

No, I have not lived in Singapore before but I did visit the country a couple of times.
hi! NUS is a really really prestigious school and the fact that you got a scholarship is amazing. However you are right about the student life. Me being from Malaysia, Singapore is in fact quite a boring country and people there are very competitive and study focused. However there are social clubs and sports clubs at NUS and around Singapore. It just depends on the crowd you mix with.

I don’t have much knowledge on the University of Edinburgh.
So, I got into NUS with the NUS College International Scholarship (100% scholarship) to study Systems and Industrial Engineering. I also hold an offer from the University of Edinburgh to study Engineering BEng/MEng.

In terms of cost, QS ranking, course material, and flexibility NUS takes the lead. However, I really LOVE the University of Edinburgh as the whole - the vibe, its history/pedigree, the city & culture, and its general style of teaching. I wish to do my graduate studies in the US and I feel like the University of Edinburgh will offer more recognition when compared to NUS. Also, I believe that I will have a "proper" study abroad experience at the University of Edinburgh when compared to NUS because of the diversity. Although, NUS does offer great student exchange programmes.

Even though this is the case, I’m not sure if paying a huge amount for the University of Edinburgh will be worth it in the end. Can an offer from the University of Edinburgh beat a 100% scholarship at NUS? I would love to get some opinions on this. Thanks!

I’m an international student (Indian) btw.
Reply 8
Both NUS and the University of Edinburgh are great options, but it depends on what matters most to you. NUS offers a 100% scholarship and has advantages in terms of cost, ranking, and course material. However, you love the University of Edinburgh's vibe, history, and teaching style. It may also offer more recognition for your future studies in the US. Consider the value of the experience and the long-term benefits. Additionally, if flexibility is important to you, you could explore Online Master's in Industrial Engineering programs that offer convenience and allow you to study from anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest