The Student Room Group

(MSc) University of Glasgow vs. University of Birmingham vs. University of Durham

Hi guys!

I have decided to do a masters course to increase my knowledge about a topic that I am really passionate about. The masters will also help me progress forward to a PhD which will be the first step for me in academia. (I want to work as a lecturer/researcher)

I started looking for universities to apply to and I ended up with the 3 below:
Glasgow Uni
Durham Uni
Birmingham Uni

I have already applied to University of Glasgow and received an unconditional offer for MSc in Quantitative Finance. However I would like to know your opinion on the quality and prestige of these 3 universities and if there are any other universities that I should look at. (it must cost close to £10 000)

At Durham University I looked at MSc Finance (Economics and Finance) and at Birmingham University the MSc in Investments got my attention.

At the moment I am studying BA (Hons) Finance and Investments with a 1:1 expected.

Thank you!
Do not go to Durham.
Reply 2
Original post by DBSisdreadful
Do not go to Durham.

why??
Reply 3
why?
Reply 4
Original post by DBSisdreadful
Do not go to Durham.

why
Reply 5
While I have agreed in a previous post with DBSisdreadful about Durham MSc Finance, as a DBS alumni I think that this program is ideal for you given that you plan to do a Ph.D. Durham MSc Finance level is very good, a technical one and mostly theoretical. If they still use the same books, your main book will be Copeland, Weston and Shastri, which will give you a solid basis for a Ph.D. However, with 2 hours per week per course you will have to study mainly on your own. If you would prefer a more practical degree you would go for their MSc Management (finance).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending