The Student Room Group

Question an Irish Republican

Scroll to see replies

So.......since we're Republicans to our US colleagues.
What's the best type of kalashnikov to use for shooting up police stations? What bomb would you recommend for the break in?

Are you mad that the SAS arrived before your boys could finish the job?

Are you happy that Jeremy Corbyn held a minute's silence for the guys killed in the prevention of the bombing/shooting up of said police station and probably has more respect for them than he does British conscripts killed in WW1 and 2?

What bullet would you say is best for kneecapping people? Would you care to have a jolly good laugh about kneecappings like shadow chancellor John McDonnell did in the 80s when he joshed that Labour colleagues who didn't attend a meeting with the IRA should be kneecapped? The lols would fill the room I'm sure. However there is a time for seriousness as well. Like when he was serious in 2003 that we should praise those of the bullets and bombs in the "armed struggle". Do you share his view?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
What's the best type of kalashnikov to use for shooting up police stations? What bomb would you recommend for the break in?

Not sure, we just used whatever we had got from Gaddafi :wink: the carrying out of military operations against what the IRA wouldve called 'forces of occupation' was justified back then. It is not today however.

Republicans were angered by the Loughgall Ambush since the volunteers were given no chance to surrender before or after the SAS ambush.

Are you happy that Jeremy Corbyn held a minute's silence for the guys killed in the prevention of the bombing/shooting up of said police station and probably has more respect for them than he does British conscripts killed in WW1 and 2?

I am happy, since I would say it was his moral duty to hold a minute's silence for all the people killed during the conflict. Despite this you are kidding yourself if you think that he has less respect for his own countrymen fighting a world war, especially in WW2 against fascism.

What bullet would you say is best for kneecapping people? Would you care to have a jolly good laugh about kneecappings like shadow chancellor John McDonnell did in the 80s when he joshed that Labour colleagues who didn't attend a meeting with the IRA should be kneecapped? The lols would fill the room I'm sure.

I've never heard about that actually, sounds like a bit of a weird joke.

However there is a time for seriousness as well. Like when he was serious in 2003 that we should praise those of the bullets and bombs in the "armed struggle". Do you share his view?

Of course I share this view because what he said was we should praise those people who made a sacrifice so that nowadays we live in a non-sectarian state where Catholics are not oppressed and have equal civil rights with Protestants. Armed struggle was justified.
Original post by KimKallstrom

What bullet would you say is best for kneecapping people? Would you care to have a jolly good laugh about kneecappings like shadow chancellor John McDonnell did in the 80s when he joshed that Labour colleagues who didn't attend a meeting with the IRA should be kneecapped? The lols would fill the room I'm sure. However there is a time for seriousness as well. Like when he was serious in 2003 that we should praise those of the bullets and bombs in the "armed struggle". Do you share his view?

I don't care tbh, but it takes some balls to be prepared to look at at it from the other side, rather than taking things at face value as you have. Also blatantly not true, Corbyns anti-interventionist so would rather see those conscripts live than have them blown up abroad. A tad more patriotic that.

If it made them more co-operative, then yes, it was worth it.

The initial campaign was targeting infrastructure only, when all avenues are closed taking a non-violent structural approach was pretty humane actually. It's idiotic to have said that because its always going to be taken out of context. The answer is no, but a better question is, when people are excluded from office, employment, housing, voting, engaged in a civil war with a government backed terrorist group and accompanied by British troops, who, exclusively targeted that same community. Isn't it understandable why so many backed the cause?
Why are we so amazing?
Original post by frankielogue
Why are we so amazing?

Because Irish people are loved and respected across the world?
Why are we so amazing?

Republican v Unionist culture.jpg
Original post by DMcGovern
Republican v Unionist culture.jpg

Throwback to when Unionists threw a hissy fit over the tricolour being shown at Stormont
Question me and possibly nationalists e.g. @That Bearded Man @Airmed
on Sinn Féin, IRSP, Irish republicanism, Irish nationalism and methods, e.g. abstentionism.

You can also question me on the current situation with the North and the fiasco in the Free State where they still haven't formed a bloody government after 5 weeks.

Do you not think that it's unfair, to violently pursue unification by attacking innocent civilians in England, as SF/the IRA did?

What do you think of parties like Alliance, who remain neutral on the topic of unification?

What do you think about the SDLP, a supposed nationalist party, taking their seats at Westminster?
Original post by Connor27
Do you not think that it's unfair, to violently pursue unification by attacking innocent civilians in England, as SF/the IRA did?

What do you think of parties like Alliance, who remain neutral on the topic of unification?

What do you think about the SDLP, a supposed nationalist party, taking their seats at Westminster?

Despite being a Yorkshireman myself, my mum is from Ulster and migrated over here, (hence my name) so I have a bit of a interest in Irish politics.
Throwback to when Unionists threw a hissy fit over the tricolour being shown at Stormont

Shoutout to the flag shop on the Shankhill that got bricked by loyalists for selling Ivory Coast flags.

1. The initial campaign was targeting infrastructure only, when all avenues are closed taking a non-violent structural approach was pretty humane actually, and the later targeting of 'forces of occupation', RUC, UDR, soldiers etc. as well as infrastructure was justified as it would be for a resistance force in a war. It's idiotic to have said that because its always going to be taken out of context. The answer is no, but a better question is, when people are excluded from office, employment, housing, voting, engaged in a civil war with a government backed terrorist group and accompanied by British troops, who wouldn't have backed them?
2. Republican paramilitaries in pursuance of a united Ireland by armed struggle never directly targeted innocent civilians.

I think they do a good thing in trying to provide an alternative and trying to break down sectarianism in the north of Ireland, even if it doesn't necessarily work. On the nationalist side I don't know many that vote Alliance because most of them believe in a United Ireland or are left-wing.

Firstly I think it's important to point out that the SDLP nowadays are barely a Labour party, they now target the elderly conservative Catholic vote. Secondly I think it is a good and a bad thing: good in that they fight for their constituents' rights, although they're quite ineffectual; and bad in that Westminster has no right to legislate for any part of Ireland. "Believing that the British Government has no right in Ireland, never had any right in Ireland, and never can have any right in Ireland".

1. Yes, totally agree with you. Never mind that attacking innocent civilians is totally abhorrent, it was terrible strategy. Again, it was unthinkable but at least I can understand the logic in going after Thatcher, but attacking civilians was stupid.

2. I don't care, the sooner we no longer have nationalist or unionist parties the better. I hoped Alliance would step up and be a party for both sides, thus removing some of the influence of the DUP and SF. I like Alliance, and would consider voting for them now that Naomi Long is leading them.

3. I fully support the SDLP and Sinn Fein taking seats in Westminster. I prefer they be pragmatic and use it for bargaining power to benefit NI rather than waste it. Nothing wrong with wanting something long term but being pragmatic short term. I share DMcGs disgust at the SDLP for abandoning their Labour principles to go for the conservative catholic landlord vote.
(edited 7 years ago)
1. The initial campaign was targeting infrastructure only, when all avenues are closed taking a non-violent structural approach was pretty humane actually, and the later targeting of 'forces of occupation', RUC, UDR, soldiers etc. as well as infrastructure was justified as it would be for a resistance force in a war. It's idiotic to have said that because its always going to be taken out of context. The answer is no, but a better question is, when people are excluded from office, employment, housing, voting, engaged in a civil war with a government backed terrorist group and accompanied by British troops, who wouldn't have backed them?
2. Republican paramilitaries in pursuance of a united Ireland by armed struggle never directly targeted innocent civilians.

I think they do a good thing in trying to provide an alternative and trying to break down sectarianism in the north of Ireland, even if it doesn't necessarily work. On the nationalist side I don't know many that vote Alliance because most of them believe in a United Ireland or are left-wing.

Firstly I think it's important to point out that the SDLP nowadays are barely a Labour party, they now target the elderly conservative Catholic vote. Secondly I think it is a good and a bad thing: good in that they fight for their constituents' rights, although they're quite ineffectual; and bad in that Westminster has no right to legislate for any part of Ireland. "Believing that the British Government has no right in Ireland, never had any right in Ireland, and never can have any right in Ireland".

Wow, that's a great point.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Wow, that's a great point.

Yeah, did you copy it off me? :colondollar::h::biggrin:
Original post by That Bearded Man
Shoutout to the flag shop on the Shankhill that got bricked by loyalists for selling Ivory Coast flags.

Loooool

Omagh?
Enniskillen?
Birmingham?
Original post by jneill
Omagh?
Enniskillen?
Birmingham?

Omagh was the Real IRA after the ceasefire, and was not directed at civilians but at the economy/infrastructure although the bomb planters who telephoned the advance warning accidentally gave the name of a street that didn't exist. Again, these were dissidents.

Enniskillen was a badly-planned attack aimed at soldiers in the parade. Although IRA units were given "a degree of operational autonomy" at the time, they were supposed to have such large attacks sanctioned by IRA Northern Command, which they did not.

The Provisional Irish Republican Army have never officially admitted responsibility for the Birmingham pub bombings, but a former senior officer of the organisation confessed to their involvement in 2014, with an admission the bombings "went against everything we [the Provisional Irish Republican Army] claimed to stand for". The bombings had not been sanctioned by the PIRA leadership.
Reportedly, those who planted these bombs then walked to a preselected phone box to telephone the advance warning to security services; however, the phone box had been vandalised, forcing the caller to find an alternative phone box and thus shortening the amount of time police had to clear the locations.
Omagh was the Real IRA after the ceasefire, and was not directed at civilians but at the economy/infrastructure although the bomb planters who telephoned the advance warning accidentally gave the name of a street that didn't exist. Again, these were dissidents.

Enniskillen was a badly-planned attack aimed at soldiers in the parade. Although IRA units were given "a degree of operational autonomy" at the time, they were supposed to have such large attacks sanctioned by IRA Northern Command, which they did not.

The Provisional Irish Republican Army have never officially admitted responsibility for the Birmingham pub bombings, but a former senior officer of the organisation confessed to their involvement in 2014, with an admission the bombings "went against everything we [the Provisional Irish Republican Army] claimed to stand for". The bombings had not been sanctioned by the PIRA leadership.
Reportedly, those who planted these bombs then walked to a preselected phone box to telephone the advance warning to security services; however, the phone box had been vandalised, forcing the caller to find an alternative phone box and thus shortening the amount of time police had to clear the locations.

So the failed/inept attempts to give warnings even though civilians were targeted is a valid excuse? Come on. Also the victims at Enniskillen were always likely to include civilians. And "dissidents" were still republican paramilitaries.
Original post by jneill
So the failed/inept attempts to give warnings even though civilians were targeted is a valid excuse? Come on. Also the victims at Enniskillen were always likely to include civilians. And "dissidents" were still republican paramilitaries.

Again, civilians were not directly targeted. If the advance warnings had been given in the time needed then the innocent civilians wouldn't have been injured. Take the London Docklands bombing or the 1996 Manchester bombing - the advance warnings were taken and people evacuated, so no deaths.

EDIT: When I said republican paramilitaries I was not referring to dissident gangs which are now just drug gangs calling themselves the IRA, I was referring to the Official IRA, Provisional IRA and INLA.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending