The Student Room Group

AQA Politics- Cultural Theory????

One thing among many is stressing me out this time of year- the three political theories we're supposed to reference! Cultural theory in particular is making very little sense to me. I'm trying to do a practice question about UK/USA rights protection with cultural theory and it's just... no.
Does anyone have a good, mercifully brief way of explaining how to apply cultural theory?
Reply 1
Simplified (because i do edexcel poltics) cultural theory is literally a group of people with shared ideas.

So the republican party are more likely to vote based on their shared ideology.
Due to shared belief of tradition, the UK has adopted various implied powers
Reply 2
Idk if AQA do it the same, but with edexcel you can say at the beginning of a paragraph "culturally" and "based on cultural theory." We can even put it in brackets
Reply 3
Original post by Kali.kb
Simplified (because i do edexcel poltics) cultural theory is literally a group of people with shared ideas.

So the republican party are more likely to vote based on their shared ideology.
Due to shared belief of tradition, the UK has adopted various implied powers

i disagree that it is a group of people with shared ideas. cultural theory, explained by almond and verba, refers to the differing histories of the us and the uk which may explain the political differences in debates and activities within their systems.

for example, using cultural theory to understand pressure groups in the us and the uk, you can note that the US heavily relies on the first amendment to allow a means for the use of pressure groups whereas because the UK does not have such an amendment, pressure groups will not have as wide of a participation status as there is no law like the first amendment.

Quick Reply

Latest