The Student Room Group

AQA AS Philosophy - Tuesday 5th June - How did you find it?

Theory of knowledge - found the paper fine, I did the question with "Assess empiricism" --> I knew they'd start repeating the questions one day!!!

Philosophy of religion - chose question 4, didn't like the miracles question much (because I hadn't revised that as much), but part c was ontological argument so I was happy :smile:

Plato: easy peasy :smile:

How did everyone find it?

Scroll to see replies

[Retaking PLY1 and 3] I did the empiricism one too, because I hate phenomenalism! But I kind of ran out of stuff to say. I liked Descartes except for the last question.

So yeah, not my best exam!
Reply 2
Plato... What the heck? Didn't even understand what the question was asking, none of us did. We didnt get taught about the ethical implications *sigh*

Chose phenomenalism and ontological sorta predicted they'd come up. For morality question i just answered it as if I'd never been to a philosophy lesson, so it'd be interesting to see how I did xD
I was so under-prepared, and I suffered in that exam.
PLY1 - did not remember phenomenalism much so chose Q1 - Reliabilism OK, JTK pretty bad (I only talked about one Gettier problem, didn't really analyse it), "Assess empiricism" was so-so (i.e. not adequate).
PLY2 was really bad: Fideism objection??? Problem of evil??? Religious language??? -> Probably failed this unit.
PLY3 (Descartes) - Yep, that last question. I got it so wrong (I made 2 ponts. Two! How is that going to get me 25 marks?), just said that Intermingling Thesis only illustrates it but does not develop the case, and that dreaming does show some difference. Most probably wrong.

I am expecting a low C, but to be honest if it was a D I wouldn't be too surprised.
Reply 4
It was so freaky, the exact assess questions which I thought would come up came up - and I still struggled! I did the phenomenalism, deontology (ethics) and Descartes ones.

Unfortunately, the more I think about it the more I think I might not have done as well as I'd hope. Oh dear... I'll see what happens on results day.

Did anyone else find themselves only writing a page for the (b) questions? 0_0
Clarabella89
[Retaking PLY1 and 3] I did the empiricism one too, because I hate phenomenalism! But I kind of ran out of stuff to say. I liked Descartes except for the last question.

So yeah, not my best exam!

Exactly the same retakes as you and basically I was going to say exactly what you have just said!:p:

My empiricism was a jumbly mess and kept repeating myself, Descartes last question --> I wish i had revised the criticisms a bit more :rolleyes:

What you doing for A2, I'm doing Mind and Ayer but need to get going on the old revis!
xxx
Tyraell

Did anyone else find themselves only writing a page for the (b) questions? 0_0

Yeah I did not write enough, despite my writing getting larger and larger, thought I had done a lot, but people were asking for more paper, what is with that!?!:eek:
Reply 7
I didn't find it too bad apart from PLY1
i did empiricism i started on the question two then i read part c and I was like ...ermm Maybe not.... One question though what on earth is reliablism or whatever I just left that bit out. Only 6 marks never mind lol

On PLY2 I did the moral philosophy utilitarianism tut only 6 marks and i knew all that damn bit but thank god i revised the categorical imperative last night woo. And virtue wasnt too bad either

PLY3. Come on Decartes The mind and body the only bit i revised hell yeah I'm LUCKY. I read all the others at the end and I was like oh God that sounds hard!!!

So overall not bad funny thing is i thought i would do best on epistomology but I spent ten minutes kinda like HUH ???

LOL Hope all you guys get grades ...and myself .

xx
Reply 8
Sat the Plato module again. Much nicer question compared to last year
Reply 9
lol omg my b) virture theory was so CRAP my was so short :s-smilie: lol !!!!!!!
and kant i didnt do a conclusion - does that mean il do crap????

:'(
Reply 10
Epistomology was good, I did empiricism.
On religious philosophy I was pretty gutted, no argument question? No properties, or Pascal? Noooooo! But I see above someone just said part three on the 2nd question was ontological argument... I suppose it was. I thought it was "is belief in god basic?". So I did the first one. I like religious language but it was a hard religious language question.
Sartre: Existence precedes essence was the best possible question for me. I did it in the mock and did well. But by then I couldn't remember much of is and couldn't write much, I just struggled to think. I tried to remember what I wrote in the mock. That question was ok, but I would have done really well on that on if it was first.
Heh, I'm going to retake it. Did PLY2 first - Moral Ethics. Chose the Normative one! Went into depth about a couple of Kantian points, but not many (though, I feel with the time given, I wouldn't have gone into detail if I blathered on about his entire philosophy, lol!).

PLY1 next, and chose the phenomenalism question, because I preferred it to the others :smile:.

PLY3 - BLITZED the 10 mark Descartes one. Had had that one drilled into us; the method of doubt, why he HAD a method of doubt, what he was trying to find, etc., etc.. The 25-marker...that was evil. Evil, evil. I made a few psychological points as an evaluation (the whole brain-damage-affects-cognition, ill-mind-can-cause-phantom-but-physical-symptoms sort of thing), but not much else, really.

I remember I called a lot of things "absurd", lmao.

My uni place is dependent on these exams, as well as others, but I'm unsure as to go this year anyway (might get a full-time job and save for a year!) so it's not TOO bad if I don't get in. And, it's a learning experience, I suppose.
Reply 12
omg that was the best exam ever!!! im still on such a high lol i did

PLY 2- rule utilitarianism for euthanasia. that was just wonderful, virtue theory was magnificent and deontological ethics was so good awwww. am i the only one that just focused on kant? anyway my teacher says that the examiners want more detail.

PLY3- was fantastic. imagination, method of doubt and mind body distinction. what more could i ask for! thank you lord, thank you descartes. if all my exams go like this i will be the happiest person on earth :biggrin:
Reply 13
I'm glad somebody is confident about it! I think this is my second exam I'm not looking forward to getting the result back for. :P:

I have to admit though, the questions were really nice - but something didn't feel right. ¬_¬
Reply 14
But I see above someone just said part three on the 2nd question was ontological argument... I suppose it was. I thought it was "is belief in god basic?".

Nah, part c for question 2 was: assess the view that god's existence is a priori. And since the ontological argument is a priori, it's telling you to assess that :smile:
Reply 15
Well, that went right over my head. Hopefully I didn't do too badly on religious language.

I actually have bruised my finger writing yesterday (philosophy and politics) which is not good as I have history this afternoon.
Reply 16
I resat PLY2 (Moral Philo.) and the Normative/Practical Ethics question.

(a) Nice easy question I think, probably went a bit OTT on the explanation and wrote just over a side - didnt take me more than about 5 minutes though haha

(b) This one slowed me down somewhat :p: I'd hoped we wouldn't get virtue ethics for anything more than 6 marks since we got it as the part (c) last summer. Think I made a fairly decent stab at it though on the whole since I'd hardly revised this topic. The examiners do seem to love virtue theory though...

(c) I was so so happy to see this question come up - I was hoping it was going to be something nice and simple like assessing this (deontological ethics) or utilitarianism - so we got deontology and it was all good.

All in all, much happier with this one than last year's :p: Just got Mind and Hume to go now for the A2 :biggrin:
our-lady

PLY3. Come on Decartes The mind and body the only bit i revised hell yeah I'm LUCKY. I read all the others at the end and I was like oh God that sounds hard!!!
xx

I really only revised Descartes' doubt and his ontological argument (which I still didn't add into the question). So unlucky.
Reply 18
My friend resat Plato PLY3 yesterday and from the sounds of it it wasn't a question I would have liked at all! But then again I'd never even thought of any ethical implications of his theory of forms lol.
Reply 19
wasn't too bad...
empiricism was fantastic, couldn't have asked for a better question!
religious language was ok, but it would have been easier if it had been 'assess the arguments for it being meaningless' rather than it being meaningful which is a lot harder.
Descartes was ok, but bit worried as i finished 20 mins early...
oh, and in terms of only writing a side for b) parts, that's how much i've always written! i go by the idea that it's 2-3 marks per line, stops me writing too much rubbish trying to fill up the space!

Latest