The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Resistance in the CIRCUIT depends on how the components are connected. It makes a difference if they are in series or parallel for example.

For the COMPONENTs ; R of an LDR increases as light level decreases and vice versa
R of an ntc thermistor increases as temp decreases and vice versa.
Reply 2
with thermistors generally you can set what you want it to do. you can get PTCs- temp goes up, reistance goes up, and NTCs - temp goes up, resitance goes down.

ldrs - increase light = decrease resistance
well, LDRs and thermistors are made out of semiconductors which conduct better as temperature increases( for thermistors) or as light intensity increases (for LDR) since their "n", the charge carrier capacity increases
therefore as temp or light increase, the resistance decreases and therefore the current in the circuit increases as current is inversely proportional to resistance
hope that helped, but if you need more clarification i will be able to help tomorrow after my chemistry unit 2 and 3b exam which i have to actually START revising for
Reply 4
gorilla_baby
well, LDRs and thermistors are made out of semiconductors which conduct better as temperature increases( for thermistors) or as light intensity increases (for LDR) since their "n", the charge carrier capacity increases
therefore as temp or light increase, the resistance decreases and therefore the current in the circuit increases as current is inversely proportional to resistance
hope that helped, but if you need more clarification i will be able to help tomorrow after my chemistry unit 2 and 3b exam which i have to actually START revising for

Thats great help already :smile: I bet everyone will be cramming last minute for physics huh. After the exams tomorrow i have to go do some math though :s-smilie:
oh yeah i didn't start med physics though and M1, well just a little to get me just about an A...
Reply 6
Lol me neither. Am looking through thermal now- hopefully be able to read through thermal tonight. History in the morning, math revision that afternoon. Math the following morning, physics past papers that afternoon and then physics the next morning. Chaos i tell ya!! Ah well as soon as those are all over im going to go out, finally watch Shrek 3 then SLEEP!! :biggrin:
ya good revision plan
but anyways, i have to go study chemistry now or i'll really fail:eek:
Reply 8
Be positive- ul do fine :smile: Good luck with your revision!!!
gorilla_baby

There are two types of thermistor

NTC- (Negative Temperature Coefficient)

When Temperature Increases Resistance Decreases,
....equally When Temperature Decreases, Resistance Increases

"Many NTC thermistors are made from a pressed disc of a semiconductor such as a sintered metal oxide. They work because raising the temperature of a semiconductor increases the number of electrons able to move about and carry charge. The more charge carriers that are available, the more current a material can conduct." (My edited quote from Wikipedia)

PTC - (Negative Temperature Coefficient)

When Temperature Increases, Resistance Increases

....equally When Temperature Decreases, Resistance Decreases

PTC's are more complex... and i don't know who they work.

LDRs

When Light Intensity Increases Resistance Decreases,
....equally When Light Intensity Decreases, Resistance Increases

they work off the photoelectric effect, light frees electrons between a semiconductor and metal allowing it to flow more freely

Latest