The Student Room Group

Conventional Cell Representation Alkaline Hydrogen-Oxygen Fuel Cell Help

The question asked to write the 'Conventional Cell Representation Alkaline Hydrogen-Oxygen Fuel Cell'
the mark scheme says this Pt|H2(g)|OH–(aq),H2O(l)||O2(g) |H2O(l),OH–(aq)|Pt it also says 'the h2o is not essential' so Pt|H2(g)|OH–(aq)||O2(g) |OH–(aq)|Pt
My question is why is the OH- closest to the phase boundary as the most oxidized species should be there ie H2?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Sniperdon227
The question asked to write the 'Conventional Cell Representation Alkaline Hydrogen-Oxygen Fuel Cell'
the mark scheme says this Pt|H2(g)|OH–(aq),H2O(l)||O2(g) |H2O(l),OH–(aq)|Pt it also says 'the h2o is not essential' so Pt|H2(g)|OH–(aq)||O2(g) |OH–(aq)|Pt
My question is why is the OH- closest to the phase boundary as the most oxidized species should be there ie H2?

Can I see the question?
It's not the most oxidized species. It's the species formed in the solution which is in contact with the electrode which is next to the double lines. The question states that "commercial cells use porous platinum electrodes in contact with concentrated aqueous potassium hydroxide." So the species is OH- . Not H+ or H2. It also states that it's an alkaline cell not an acidic cell. If it was an acidic cell then it would be H+.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SirRaza97
It's not the most oxidized species. It's the species formed in the solution which is in contact with the electrode which is next to the double lines. The question states that "commercial cells use porous platinum electrodes in contact with concentrated aqueous potassium hydroxide." So the species is OH- . Not H+ or H2. It also states that it's an alkaline cell not an acidic cell. If it was an acidic cell then it would be H+.

cheers i learnt something
Hi Sniperdon227

I remember this question and the mark scheme is awful! I have actually queried this question with the exam board and forced a response. The answer I would give to this question is this:

Pt I H2 I H2O II O2 I OH- I Pt

The reason for this is because from the equations given H2 is oxidised to H2O (zero to +1) and then in the next equation O2 is reduced to OH- (zero to -2).

I hope that helps a bit, and as I have already said, the answer I have given would gain the marks, confirmed by AQA.

Thanks

Alex
Original post by Sniperdon227

Hiya! I moved this into the Chemistry forum as other Chemistry students might find it useful :h:
The Hydrogen atom in the LHS OH- ion has an ox. state of 1.The Hydrogen atom in the LHS H2 molecule has an ox. state of 0. Because the H in the OH- has a higher ox. state, its written closer to the salt bridge. Hope this helps.
Original post by Zakwebster_98
The Hydrogen atom in the LHS OH- ion has an ox. state of 1.The Hydrogen atom in the LHS H2 molecule has an ox. state of 0. Because the H in the OH- has a higher ox. state, its written closer to the salt bridge. Hope this helps.

Hey, would you look at the oxidation states for the H atom for both sides or the LHS only? For the RHS, are you looking for the most oxidised oxygen species? The mark scheme has the O2 closest to the salt bridge, followed by H2O and then OH- and I'm a bit confused to why? Thanks :smile:

Edit: think I've got it, is it because on the RHS the oxygen (O2) has an ox state of 0, and then it's -1 in OH and -2 in H2O? The MS has the OH- and H2O in the opposite way round to what I would do but maybe it's because they're in the same phase the order doesn't matter?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ajsullivan
Hi Sniperdon227

I remember this question and the mark scheme is awful! I have actually queried this question with the exam board and forced a response. The answer I would give to this question is this:

Pt I H2 I H2O II O2 I OH- I Pt

The reason for this is because from the equations given H2 is oxidised to H2O (zero to +1) and then in the next equation O2 is reduced to OH- (zero to -2).

I hope that helps a bit, and as I have already said, the answer I have given would gain the marks, confirmed by AQA.

Thanks

Alex

Alex, you’re a ledge

Quick Reply

Latest