The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

meh.. but this is why we need a national exam for medicine - we can really be distinguished from each other, irrespective of medical school attended.
Reply 41
tyrosine_kinase
we can really be distinguished from each other,
Justify why this is a good thing.
what about competition of jobs should be based on how good you are (which is shown by your med school ranking - it's not just academic though - as ranking would include competency in clinical skills etc by the end of your degree)?
Reply 43
Ranking does not necessarilly include clinical assessment across the board, even if it does, is it appropriately weighted? What should we be aiming for anyway?

PBL students have been shown to know marginally less than their lecture counterparts but be better at soft skills on graduation, does that mean that the latter should have priority, despite the same evidence showing that within two (or is it one?) years the PBL students know more and still have better soft skills?
Reply 44
Not forgetting PBL students have been repeatedly shown to retain more pre-qual information 5 year post graduation...

But what is the point. If something can be forgotten, then it's obviously not that important to clinical practice.

No idea why people get so het up about teaching methods, when med school is just a means to a beginnings (not an ends!)... the words 'bigger' and 'picture' often spring to mind...
Reply 45
Fluffy
No idea why people get so het up about teaching methods, when med school is just a means to a beginnings (not an ends!)... the words 'bigger' and 'picture' often spring to mind...
I don't know where the arguments come from, actually i could probably think of somewhere) but once they've begun the "pbl students have no understanding" generalisations get quite annoying.

Especially when i'm sat here trying to understand a year of preclinical medicine :rolleyes:
Reply 46
tyrosine_kinase
yeah lol tell me about it.

that ranking thing is unfair though - we learn so much more stuff at oxbridge - so our worst medic will probably be around the middle quartile at medical schools like hull and york

Jeez, we get it already:
- You go to Cambridge and you think you're God's gift to modern medicine.

I haven't seen you post anything yet that hasn't been extolling your virtues as an Oxbridge medic or saying something to the effect of "PBL med schools are ****"

You may have a point - the medicine courses at Oxbridge may be slightly more academically rigourous than those elsewhere. But the courses also have their own unique disadvantages as well.

Try showing a little respect for the other medics here and stop being such an arrogant git
nope - I am sure St Andrews / Edinburgh do it just as well. I got this from many consultants who attended medical schools that used to do science then clinicals - they are the ones that are complaining of dumbing down - not me. I'm just passing on their opinions.
Johnny C.
Jeez, we get it already:
- You go to Cambridge and you think you're God's gift to modern medicine.

I haven't seen you post anything yet that hasn't been extolling your virtues as an Oxbridge medic or saying something to the effect of "PBL med schools are ****"

You may have a point - the medicine courses at Oxbridge may be slightly more academically rigourous than those elsewhere. But the courses also have their own unique disadvantages as well.

Try showing a little respect for the other medics here and stop being such an arrogant git

I never gave disrespect to my fellow medical students; in fact, I agreed that probably there are smarter medics (and who know more than I do) (compared to me) at PBL schools. What I am saying, generally, you learn less at PBL sessions...
Reply 49
tyrosine_kinase
I never gave disrespect to my fellow medical students; in fact, I agreed that probably there are smarter medics (and who know more than I do) (compared to me) at PBL schools. What I am saying, generally, you learn less at PBL sessions...
Which is all you've managed to say in 20 posts.

Latest

Trending

Trending