The Student Room Group

Careers in mental health

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I did my undergraduate degree in Classics, then did a PGCE and decided that teaching wasn't for me. I am very interested in mental health and would like to work in that field, so have found a Master's degree that I could do to hopefully enable me to work in this area. However, I don't really know what kind of job I'd be qualified for when possessing a Master's degree in Mental Health - I would be overqualified to be a support worker, but wouldn't have the skills to become a therapist. Could anyone give me some ideas?
I'm in a similar situation career wise though I haven't even started uni yet :') I really want to do mental health nursing/occupational therapy/art therapy though I know I'm not prepared enough to do a degree in it. Instead I'm going to study Film Studies with Film Production as I'm passionate and skilled at it though I'm confident I don't want to be a filmmaker, which leaves my options wide open. Having a BA would help me work in therapy as it gives me a lot of communication skills and general working under pressure with different people etc, though I'm wondering if I applied to be a mental health nurse or similar they wouldn't hire me due to not having a degree in Nursing. I'm just going to do the degree anyway and do volunteer work experience in the meantime in the hopes I can get the skills I need to get a job :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending