The Student Room Group

Is becoming a Teacher still a respected career or has the prestige gone?

When I was younger, becoming a Teacher was highly respected by everyone. It was a very professional career and if you became a teacher when you left school, you would be thought of as "you've done well for yourself" (career-wise)

Behind Doctors and Lawyers etc, I used to really look up to Teachers and see them as a very important people. (I still kinda do)

But what are your thoughts?

Is it still classed as a respected, professional career amongst the general public etc?
Reply 1
Guess not, lol
Reply 2
Original post by ZenDixon
When I was younger, becoming a Teacher was highly respected by everyone. It was a very professional career and if you became a teacher when you left school, you would be thought of as "you've done well for yourself" (career-wise)

Behind Doctors and Lawyers etc, I used to really look up to Teachers and see them as a very important people. (I still kinda do)

But what are your thoughts?

Is it still classed as a respected, professional career amongst the general public etc?

I think so by some. Sadly, most don't see the mountain of pointless work or positive impact the average teacher does and focuses purely on the inconvenience 13 weeks of holiday causes them and their children because teachers aren't around to babysit.
Reply 3
I have a lot of friends who studied really hard to be a teacher, but in the last 3 years have all left to restudy something else. They all had different reasons, mental health, not being able to give enough care because they had to strictly follow curriculum. I still have a lot of respect for people who decide to go into the field and the most respect for those that have what it takes to stay. The rewards are few, the work is hard.
Reviving the thread: it's was never respected. Outside people/bigots think its too far left career who think we work 9-3 and have holidays. And the pay isn't good for experienced teachers (cough: i took a bribe to paid nearly 40,000 for september to do my ECT)

My parents don't like my career because of introverted (sadly) mentally ill personality but i use a teaching persona which unfortunately makes my mental health wise.

Get a job in a civil service, you could end up becoming an MP in future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending