The Student Room Group

Health careers with health problems?

I want to work in healthcare, unfortunately I have both physical and mental health conditions that limit my options.
For example, I can’t do long days working on my feet.

I was thinking of possibly occupational therapy or speech and language therapy or audiology. Alternatively, I was considering studying a generic biology degree and applying to the STP to do a form of healthcare science like cardiac physiology (not as a degree on its own)

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences? I’m also a mature student with limited funds so the fact that some of these courses have extra funding is tempting but I don’t want that to be the sole reason for taking a course.
Original post by pinkporpoise
I want to work in healthcare, unfortunately I have both physical and mental health conditions that limit my options.

I was thinking of possibly occupational therapy or speech and language therapy or audiology. Alternatively, I was considering studying a generic biology degree and applying to the STP to do a form of healthcare science like cardiac physiology (not as a degree on its own)

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences? I’m also a mature student with limited funds so the fact that some of these courses have extra funding is tempting but I don’t want that to be the sole reason for taking a course.

Hi there @pinkporpoise
I am very bias as I am a speech and language therapy student at Manchester Met and I am loving it!
In all my placements for SLT I’ve not been on my feet, you’re either sat on a chair taking your notes and talking to people or sat on the floor playing with kids!
Within my course lots of people have different health needs (mental health, physical needs) and this is accepted by the uni and they work to make this easier for you on the course.
I think this is the course for you! Why do you think you would like to go into health?
Best wishes
Emily <3

It is possible to have health careers with your conditions, but I would avoid OT as there could be a lot of ward work, assessing and helping people mobilise, travel in the community etc. SLT could be an option, as could some form of psychological therapy career (e.g. clinical psychology).

It may be helpful to look at some careers that interest you, then email relevant uni departments to discuss your concerns.

Hi, I'm a current audiology student but I also chose this course because I have issues standing for a long time on my feet, but also knew I wanted to have a career within healthcare. I would strongly suggest looking into audiology courses as I have found it to be a very laid-back career with lots of patient contact with not a lot of physical movement involved, the only downside is there is no NHS bursary for this course. I know someone who is a speech and language therapist and I believe that career path does involve ward rounds and some standing at times although it's nothing too excessive. I'm also sure that if you have issues with physical and mental health the places you will work may have things in place to support you if you make them aware of your conditions. best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest