The Student Room Group

M1 question

2016-05-04.png
I dont know how to do question 8(b). I guess I need to find the reaction force first. But i dont know how to find it, please help
Reply 1
Original post by alesha98
2016-05-04.png
I dont know how to do question 8(b). I guess I need to find the reaction force first. But i dont know how to find it, please help

Since there is no vertical acceleration, the reaction is equal to the weight of the particle.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
Since there is no vertical acceleration, the reaction is equal to the weight of the particle.

So for Q, the reaction force is 3g.
For P, the reaction force is 2g?
Reply 3
So for Q, the reaction force is 3g.
For P, the reaction force is 2g?

That's correct.
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
That's correct.

Thanks, one more question. When doing this type of question, should i consider the particles as a whole single system, or two separate particles?
Reply 5
Thanks, one more question. When doing this type of question, should i consider the particles as a whole single system, or two separate particles?

The particles are moving in the same straight line so it's okay to consider the whole system. And you can also consider the particles separately.

For a question like this you often may need to consider the whole system for one part of the question and a single particle for another.

Have a go at the question and post your working if you get stuck.

Quick Reply

Latest