The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to do a physics degree

So after starting my AS levels, I found that I really enjoy Physics. The subjects I take are as follows:
- A-level Maths (C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, D1)
- A-level Physics
- A-level Media Studies
- A-level Polish (I'm a native speaker)

After the first month of A level I found that media studies was not for me as I found it meaningless and a waste of time. I tried to drop it however I was not successful as my college did not let me switch to chemistry. Now I regret taking media however I believe I could do well in it as I am predicted an A. My predicted grades are all As and I was wondering if it is possible for me to get into a college to do a physics degree at a descent university such as Bath or Manchester. I looked at the entry requirements for both and they seem achievable however i feel like I am at a significant disadvantage due to my media which is frowned upon. I was wondering if it is possible for me to get into these universities or if it is just a waste of time and UCAS application.
Bath cleary state:"Any subject may be offered for the third A Level." So I highly doubt you'll be at a disadvantage.
Most university level physics courses are interested in you doing Maths and Physics at A level. Maths is arguably more important as very little of what you learn in A level physics is necessary for university level physics. The third subject is not important although most physics student I know did Chemistry or Further Maths (I did Geography as my third A Level).
Maths and Physics is all you need.
There will be some universities that won't approve of your subject choice, However, you are doing maths. Physics and Maths are all most physics courses require. I don't know about Manchester and Bath, I think you would have to do very well to get into those with your subject mix. However if you want to do physics there are plenty of good places that will accept you (I recommend the University of Southampton haha).
Original post by life.of.pablo
Bath cleary state:"Any subject may be offered for the third A Level." So I highly doubt you'll be at a disadvantage.

Unless enough of the other applicants have a decent FM grade
Original post by MintyMilk
Unless enough of the other applicants have a decent FM grade
Well if that's what the Baths website states I doubt he'll be disadvantaged. So someone with an A in Media and someone with an A in FM should both be equal.
Original post by life.of.pablo
Well if that's what the Baths website states I doubt he'll be disadvantaged. So someone with an A in Media and someone with an A in FM should both be equal.

If you think about that objectively for a second, that's pretty dumb
Look at Applied maths degrees, normally will study physics modules as well as maths, but most importantly shouldnt need a physics degree.
For instance Coventry.

But there will be others
Original post by MediaSucks
So after starting my AS levels, I found that I really enjoy Physics. The subjects I take are as follows:
- A-level Maths (C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, D1)
- A-level Physics
- A-level Media Studies
- A-level Polish (I'm a native speaker)

After the first month of A level I found that media studies was not for me as I found it meaningless and a waste of time. I tried to drop it however I was not successful as my college did not let me switch to chemistry. Now I regret taking media however I believe I could do well in it as I am predicted an A. My predicted grades are all As and I was wondering if it is possible for me to get into a college to do a physics degree at a descent university such as Bath or Manchester. I looked at the entry requirements for both and they seem achievable however i feel like I am at a significant disadvantage due to my media which is frowned upon. I was wondering if it is possible for me to get into these universities or if it is just a waste of time and UCAS application.

I think top unis would prefer FM - can you take AS Further Maths next year? Many unis may not count Polish at all.
Original post by Muttley79
I think top unis would prefer FM - can you take AS Further Maths next year? Many unis may not count Polish at all.

If bath and manchester are the sort of level op are applying for there is no real need to take further maths admission wise (though it would help for first year maths modules) as physics isnt a particularly popular subject anyway
Original post by madmadmax321
If bath and manchester are the sort of level op are applying for there is no real need to take further maths admission wise (though it would help for first year maths modules) as physics isnt a particularly popular subject anyway

As someone that works with students on UCAS applications, I disagree. He will be a much stronger applicant with AS Further Maths and M2 would be a better choice of applied Maths module than D1.

The Polish will not count towards the offer from what it says on the Bath website.
Original post by Muttley79
As someone that works with students on UCAS applications, I disagree. He will be a much stronger applicant with AS Further Maths and M2 would be a better choice of applied Maths module than D1.

The Polish will not count towards the offer from what it says on the Bath website.

He will only be a much stronger applicant if he can handle the extra pressure of AS further maths on top of his A2 subjects, and do well in it, if he was to do poorly or average in it, it would be detrimental not beneficial. imo this extra pressure isnt worth it because of where the op will be applying, as I mentioned before physics is a unpopular course anyway at most places. (I also have 2 friends at Manchester of which neither did further maths)

I never said you were wrong about the polish A-level part and I also never said that M2 wouldnt be a better choice than D1 but most places dont have that freedom of choice to choose their applied modules and universities understand this :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
He will only be a much stronger applicant if he can handle the extra pressure of AS further maths on top of his A2 subjects, and do well in it, if he was to do poorly or average in it, it would be detrimental not beneficial. imo this extra pressure isnt worth it because of where the op will be applying

If someone can't handle AS Further during their A2 year they shouldn't be applying for Physics at a top 10 UK University.
If someone can't handle AS Further during their A2 year they shouldn't be applying for Physics at a top 10 UK University.

hmm I dont really agree with that, physics at uni and the style of learning and assessment is very different to the 'learning' done at A-level.

Coping with A-levels imo was much harder (and I know I wouldnt of been able to take on fm AS on top of my A-levels) but now I am looking at getting solid firsts in this years maths modules at a uni that is top 20 and also I received offers from top 10 (not top 5 though) and met the grades they were asking me to get.

But you're not at uni so you cant really understand that yet :smile:

Note that I am not saying AS further maths is difficult in itself because from looking at its content it isnt, just that alot people dont take well the way A-levels have to be approached but at uni that all changes. So an increased workload can mess things up big time (happened to 1 of my friends). no matter how you spin it AAA is much better than ABBb
(edited 7 years ago)

You'd be surprised how average at Maths a lot of people doing Physics at top 10 universities are. If you can handle A level Maths alone you should be able to manage it, although you might struggle with more advanced quantum mechanics modules.

As for AS Further Maths, its value really depends on what the content of the modules is. Mechanics modules are very useful. Knowing about matrices would be helpful. Learning about differential equations would also be useful. All these topics are covered in the first year maths modules at university, but learning the concepts beforehand can help. If OP thinks he can manage it I think he should try it. Nonetheless, with his current choice of A levels he's definitely qualified.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Unkempt_One
You'd be surprised how average at Maths a lot of people doing Physics at top 10 universities are. If you can handle A level Maths alone you should be able to manage it, although you might struggle with more advanced quantum mechanics modules.

As for AS Further Maths, its value really depends on what the content of the modules is. Mechanics modules are very useful. Knowing about matrices would be helpful. Learning about differential equations would also be useful. All these topics are covered in the first year maths modules at university, but learning the concepts beforehand can help. If OP thinks he can manage it I think he should try it. Nonetheless, with his current choice of A levels he's definitely qualified.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it'll probably just be a normal seeming 1st year for non-fm students, while being somewhat easier for FM students since everyone's being brought up to the same baseline. As in the only difference will be whether the material is covered during FM or 1st year undergrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending