The Student Room Group

Physics, Math and Geography Combination

I'm a Year 11 student and I'm starting 6th Form this September. I have no idea what I want to do in the future career-wise, but even so, I'm thinking of picking Geography, Physics and Math for A-Level. Is this combination a good choice to make?
Original post by exl
I'm a Year 11 student and I'm starting 6th Form this September. I have no idea what I want to do in the future career-wise, but even so, I'm thinking of picking Geography, Physics and Math for A-Level. Is this combination a good choice to make?

Whilst I am not saying the combination will work against you (they do complement each other) or they are not useful (there are 2 required subjects and geography is useful for geography related degrees), why pick those particular subjects if you don't know what you want to do for a career (or even a degree for that matter)?

My starting point if I assume that I have zero clue about what sort of job I want to do is to figure out what I don't want and definitely can't do. This would eliminate a lot of options that won't fit your criteria.
If you do know the sort of thing you would want to do on a day to day basis, what values are important to you, what you need from the job, what sort of people you can't stand, and what you can stand doing day in day out, then that's a next step up.
If you had any particular aspirations when you were say 5, it's going to be very helpful.

If you want me to list what sort of degrees you would be eligible for with those A Level choices, let me know or look it up using https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Reply 2
Geog is a very useful A level - because many Unis will count it as a science or a social science and this gives you flexibility for many different possible Uni subject choices. Maths and Physics work well together. Looks like very a sensible subject selection to me.
Reply 3
Original post by exl

Excellent combination if you aren't sure what to do yet and wish to keep as many doors open as possible. You have 2 STEM subjects, which will keep the door open for most physics/engineering/materials/maths type degrees, and you also have an essay based subject if you want to go down the social science or humanities route.

Quick Reply

Latest