The Student Room Group

Standing v.s. progressive waves

I get that standing/stationary waves store energy and progressive waves tranfer energy, but I don't really get the following differences (right off the markscheme):

(i) Standing: antinodes have max displacement; Progressive: all (what?) have the max displacement

(ii) Standing: constant relative phase relationship; Progressive: variable relative phase relationship (wtf...)
Reply 1
Okay I am having a thick moment, I kind of get (i) now... in progressive waves, all point experience max displacement... of course - I had the wrong mind-set for progressive waves all along.

I kind of get (ii) too...

But anyone who clearly has a crisp grasp of this matter could elaborate this more informatively.
Reply 2
Perhaps sketching a graph would help.

i) If you have a standing wave like the one below:

All it is saying is that where the displacement is maximum is at the antinodes, no where else, whereas for a progressive wave (ignore the details) below:

The max displacement is all the way along the wave as it propagates.

ii) From the graphs above, if you look at the standing wave at one instant, and look at it later again the shape of it is the same. This means that its phase relationship is the same as both waves are coherent and "appear" stationary. However if you look at a progressive wave at one instant, and look at it again, the shape isn't the same; it seems to have moved. This shows that the wave has a variable phase relationship because when time elapses, all the points on the wave move (as shown in the diagram) so it's shape varies.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Mohit_C
Perhaps sketching a graph would help.

i) If you have a standing wave like the one below:

All it is saying is that where the displacement is maximum is at the antinodes, no where else, whereas for a progressive wave (ignore the details) below:

The max displacement is all the way along the wave as it propagates.

ii) From the graphs above, if you look at the standing wave at one instant, and look at it later again the shape of it is the same. This means that its phase relationship is the same as both waves are coherent and "appear" stationary. However if you look at a progressive wave at one instant, and look at it again, the shape isn't the same; it seems to have moved. This shows that the wave has a variable phase relationship because when time elapses, all the points on the wave move (as shown in the diagram) so it's shape varies.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you very much! :smile:

Latest