The Student Room Group

EPQ v.s AS-level

okay so I’m a year 11 right now

I am going to do physics, maths and DT a level, and either an AS-Level or an EPQ. I want to go into forensic engineering (just like structural or civil engineering but weirder) I’ve been switching between these two options faster than Flash and I’m close to giving up. I want to study at Cambridge, but I’m not obsessed with going there. I haven’t done further maths thanks to my crap mental health, but I have to 10 GCSEs and (hopefully) will recover good grades.

If I did an AS-Level it would be chemistry or computer science.

Help?
Are you an international student? AS levels aren't usually offered by UK schools any more - the only exception being AS maths.
Reply 2
Original post by burnt_t0ast

I am going to do physics, maths and DT a level, and either an AS-Level or an EPQ. I want to go into forensic engineering (just like structural or civil engineering but weirder) I’ve been switching between these two options faster than Flash and I’m close to giving up. I want to study at Cambridge, but I’m not obsessed with going there. I haven’t done further maths thanks to my crap mental health, but I have to 10 GCSEs and (hopefully) will recover good grades.

Help?

It depends on your EPQ and your learning habits. Some people excel more in exam-style subjects while others do better with longer project-style subjects. If you can handle an EPQ, i would suggest that depending on the project.

Help?

I don’t think unis value AS much, but considering you want to go into engineering, I would definitely suggest you take up further maths as an AS (or probably even the full a level). I’m not sure how beneficial cs or chem would be, unless knowledge of the subject would be useful for your desired course. An EPQ is a good chance to explore a subject of interest, but it depends on if you will have the motivation to get it done and work on it throughout the year. Some unis will offer you lower grade requirements if you do an EPQ (but I believe you have to get a specific grade in it). I do think the most beneficial would be an AS in further maths. I do think even if your school is iffy about you trying further maths (as you didn’t take it at GCSE), it would still be a good option to push for it.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Are you an international student? AS levels aren't usually offered by UK schools any more - the only exception being AS maths.

Hey! No I’m not an international student - I’ve lived in England since birth. My school is just small enough that they can offer an AS-level if they want to.
Hey! No I’m not an international student - I’ve lived in England since birth. My school is just small enough that they can offer an AS-level if they want to.

Have a look at the entry requirements for your course on a few uni websites. See if they consider AS levels - many just take into consideration your results from three A levels. As the poster above has said, AS (or even A level) further maths will be of most benefit for engineering.

These are Cambridge's entry requirements for engineering:

Typical offers require
A Level: A*A*A
IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level
Other qualifications: See Entrance requirements and International qualifications.

Subject requirements
All Colleges require: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
Some Colleges require: A Level/IB Higher Level in a third science/mathematics subject, STEP (STEP 2 may be required by Peterhouse see the College website for details)

Further guidance:
A Level Further Mathematics is very strongly encouraged. If unavailable or you’ve recognised its desirability too late, we’d advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, eg by studying advanced material or Further Mathematics AS Level.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering

Quick Reply

Latest