The Student Room Group

how does compensation work at uni?

I recieved a compensatory pass for 30 credits in my second year (2 small 15 credit modules)
In these modules I achieved 36 and 38. When working out my average for the year do they round these to 40 or do they stand as they are?
For example, in my other modules the same semester I achieved 66 and 66, would the average grade be 66+66+40+40 = 53 or 66+66+38+36 = 51.5?
I go to the university of Liverpool but it doesnt state this anywhere in their handbook.
Original post by Anonymous
I recieved a compensatory pass for 30 credits in my second year (2 small 15 credit modules)
In these modules I achieved 36 and 38. When working out my average for the year do they round these to 40 or do they stand as they are?
For example, in my other modules the same semester I achieved 66 and 66, would the average grade be 66+66+40+40 = 53 or 66+66+38+36 = 51.5?
I go to the university of Liverpool but it doesnt state this anywhere in their handbook.

They'll get counted as 40%.

From Paragraph 3.5.1 of Appendix B of Liverpool's Code of Practice on Assessment (link):

"3.5.1 In study years 0, 1 and 2 and levels of study 4 and 5 the marks achieved by the student in their first attempt at the assessments/examinations will be used to calculate the overall average for progression purposes. Any modules with marks in the range 35-39% which are compensated for by higher marks in other modules such that the student meets the progression requirements will be raised in the student record system to 40%. Where these marks are obtained in study year 2 or level of study 5, 40% will be the mark carried forward and used in the calculation of the degree classification."

The above applies to "First attempt examinations", although exactly the same logic applies to "Reassessments" at 3.5.2 (i)

"3.5.2 (i) where marks in the range 35-39% meet the criteria for compensation. In these circumstances, the marks will be raised to 40% in the student record system but will be flagged as having been achieved at a second attempt. Such marks achieved in study year 2 or level of study 5 will count towards degree classification as 40%; or"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending