The Student Room Group

Criminal Law Exam Question

Hey guys!

Just a quick one to ask some fellow students what they would do. I have a Criminal Law Exam that is essentially the following when whittled down:

Explain the meaning of intention in relation to one criminal offence
Explain the meaning of recklessness in relation to one other criminal offence

What I am trying to figure out is how much detail will I need to go into, do you think? Would the history of Intention/Recklessness be required or simply a few current cases to cite the current authority. The question seems fairly bland, and want to make sure I don't write so much that isn't required.

Thanks for any responses!
Reply 1
I would talk about the relevant cases that have developed the law to what it has become. What is mens rea and why is it important? What is intention? Describe the difference between direct and oblique with the relevant case law. Compare and contrast the facts. What does intention mean in the context of an offence e.g. For murder, it is an intention to kill or cause GBH. Talk about the coincidence rule using cases such as church and how intention is not always as straight forward as it seems and how the law has developed to cover such situations. Contrast oblique intention with recklessness. What does recklessness mean? How does it apply to different offences. Who is the reasonable person and how do judges apply this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Cheers Hann. Very similar to what I was thinking myself a few nice little reminders in there as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Kyshall
Cheers Hann. Very similar to what I was thinking myself a few nice little reminders in there as well.

No problem :smile: it's a pretty broad area to discuss. I think the coincidence rule is a good place to add in a bit of critical analysis for some extra marks so maybe try and slip in a bit about what judges thought about this. I think the easiest way would be to look at the case report for the relevant cases like church and see if anyone dissented
Reply 4
That is exactly why I thought I would ask some people on here. The question isn't very specific and I don't want to bang on about how Oblique Intention originated and the process through the years if it doesn't need to be that advanced. I only have an hour per question as well so it can't be that higly detailed I would imagine. 2 questions in 2 hours.
Reply 5
Was quite an easy exam for anyone that cares! Thanks for the help Hann, appreciate it again. I'll probably post something else later so if your au-fait with Public Law :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Kyshall
Was quite an easy exam for anyone that cares! Thanks for the help Hann, appreciate it again. I'll probably post something else later so if your au-fait with Public Law :wink:

It's been 2 years since I did public law but if I can help in anyway I'll try :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending