The Student Room Group

How long does it take to become a lawyer in the UK?

So the path to becoming a lawyer is basically bachelors / undergrad degre - LSAT - law school - bar - lawyer (obviously easier said than done). From what ive read a bachelors is about 3-4 years (LLB) and an LLM masters about an year maybe two. I wanna become a corporate or criminal lawyer but the 1-2 years master seems like way too less to become a specialized lawyer. Am i missing something here? Or is it normal to become a corporate lawyer in 5 years?
Reply 1
The traditional direct path for solicitor is:

1) - 3 year bachelors degree, either law or another subject
2) - Graduate diploma in law (1 year) - only if you didn't complete a law degree.
3) - Legal practice course (1 year)
4) - Training contract - 2 years working in a law firm (you are working full time for a salary in a law firm here so from a career perspective this is when you start "working in law". Getting the training contract is the hard bit of becoming a solicitor.
5) - Qualify as a solicitor after completing the 2 year training contract.

There are alternate ways, including the new SQE exam which simplifies the GDL,LPC and training contract into a single exam with two years of qualifying work experience, but I'm not too familiar with the details of how exactly that works and whether its easier, or harder than the "usual" route above.

There's usually no need to take a LLM masters or similar. You gain an understanding of legal basis during your studies and the training contract is when you learn on the job, then you qualify as a junior solicitor assisting more senior solicitors etc.. etc...

Id definitely recommend that you carry out some thorough research around different areas of the legal field and how it all works to get a feel for what you might be interested in - criminal and corporate law are *incredibly* different and about as far apart in terms of the legal day job as its possible to be!
Reply 2
Original post by AMac86
The traditional direct path for solicitor is:

1) - 3 year bachelors degree, either law or another subject
2) - Graduate diploma in law (1 year) - only if you didn't complete a law degree.
3) - Legal practice course (1 year)
4) - Training contract - 2 years working in a law firm (you are working full time for a salary in a law firm here so from a career perspective this is when you start "working in law". Getting the training contract is the hard bit of becoming a solicitor.
5) - Qualify as a solicitor after completing the 2 year training contract.

There are alternate ways, including the new SQE exam which simplifies the GDL,LPC and training contract into a single exam with two years of qualifying work experience, but I'm not too familiar with the details of how exactly that works and whether its easier, or harder than the "usual" route above.

There's usually no need to take a LLM masters or similar. You gain an understanding of legal basis during your studies and the training contract is when you learn on the job, then you qualify as a junior solicitor assisting more senior solicitors etc.. etc...

Id definitely recommend that you carry out some thorough research around different areas of the legal field and how it all works to get a feel for what you might be interested in - criminal and corporate law are *incredibly* different and about as far apart in terms of the legal day job as its possible to be!

Oh so i was missing quite alot. Haha. I had a couple more questions if you dont mind. For one i've seen people do vacation schemes, internships,training contracts etc during their second year of university. When are you actually supposed to do those? Is it during university of after it?

Secondly, when do you actually learn about the different things about criminal / corp law? For example you've already learnt stuff about law in your 3 years bachelors, when do you learn about criminal and corporate law and the different aspects of it? Do you go to uni and complete a further degree? Such as a postgraduate one where they specifically teach you more about crim / corp law?
" For one i've seen people do vacation schemes, internships,training contracts etc during their second year of university. When are you actually supposed to do those? Is it during university of after it?"
During university is the ideal - the vacation schemes are in university vacations such as summer holidays and many firms recruit future trainee solicitors from those doing the 1 or 2 week paid vacations schemes. You are allowed to apply later after university too if you want.

"Secondly, when do you actually learn about the different things about criminal / corp law? For example you've already learnt stuff about law in your 3 years bachelors, when do you learn about criminal and corporate law and the different aspects of it? Do you go to uni and complete a further degree? Such as a postgraduate one where they specifically teach you more about crim / corp law? "

In your 3 year LLB you can pick some subject in addition to the core subjects like contract law and tort. I picked as an option company law. Another one I chose was trade competition (competition law). Another one I picked was taxation - in other words commercial/company law subjects. Then on the SQE courses the bigger firms have an enhanced programme where students will study subjects like acquisitions and mergers. Everyone doing the SQE course will also be learning a lot of company law too.

So yes for solicitors the SQE post grad course will cover additional material to the 3 year LLB. Also after those 4 years of study you work as a trainee solicitor for two years using 6 months in 4 different areas of law so again you are getting experience in different areas and also continuing training by that firm during those years 5 and 6 of your training. (|or y ears 6 and 7 if your first degree is not a law degree).

Barristers have a different career path not covered above. Most English lawyers are solicitors however.
Reply 4
Original post by 17Student17
" For one i've seen people do vacation schemes, internships,training contracts etc during their second year of university. When are you actually supposed to do those? Is it during university of after it?"
During university is the ideal - the vacation schemes are in university vacations such as summer holidays and many firms recruit future trainee solicitors from those doing the 1 or 2 week paid vacations schemes. You are allowed to apply later after university too if you want.

"Secondly, when do you actually learn about the different things about criminal / corp law? For example you've already learnt stuff about law in your 3 years bachelors, when do you learn about criminal and corporate law and the different aspects of it? Do you go to uni and complete a further degree? Such as a postgraduate one where they specifically teach you more about crim / corp law? "

In your 3 year LLB you can pick some subject in addition to the core subjects like contract law and tort. I picked as an option company law. Another one I chose was trade competition (competition law). Another one I picked was taxation - in other words commercial/company law subjects. Then on the SQE courses the bigger firms have an enhanced programme where students will study subjects like acquisitions and mergers. Everyone doing the SQE course will also be learning a lot of company law too.

So yes for solicitors the SQE post grad course will cover additional material to the 3 year LLB. Also after those 4 years of study you work as a trainee solicitor for two years using 6 months in 4 different areas of law so again you are getting experience in different areas and also continuing training by that firm during those years 5 and 6 of your training. (|or y ears 6 and 7 if your first degree is not a law degree).

Barristers have a different career path not covered above. Most English lawyers are solicitors however.

Oh thats exactly what i wanted to know. Its great learning this from someone that actually went through the process. Thank you so much!
Reply 5
Original post by 17Student17

Starting during university is best to try and line up vac schemes, internships etc... the earlier the better to bulk out the CV and evidence a commitment/interest in law. The large firms recruit for 2 years in advance so typically law students would apply for a training contract near the end of the second year of uni, non-law students near the end of their final year.

You learn all about the detail and practice of legal work mostly when you start working - ie. you learn on the job. You'll have a grounding in basic legal principles from law degree/gdl and some of the basis of legal practice on the LPC, but the *vast majority* of what you need to be a good solicitor, you learn on the job itself. It's also important to flag that working day to day as a solicitor is very different from studying the law at university.

eg: lets take corporate, on your training contract you might do a 6 month seat in the corporate team - you'll just be carrying out fairly basic tasks at first, explained and supervised by a more experienced solicitor. As you gain more experience you'll carry out more and more, then when you qualify you'll have had 6 months training in that field. That pretty much continues throughout your career, continuously learning, being supervised less and less etc... For example I've been qualified about 10 years and a couple of years ago took on (alongside my core corporate work) a whole new area of contract law I hadn't worked in before, I started with the basics, reviewed guidance and examples, was supervised by a more experienced solicitor in that area until I came up to speed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending