The Student Room Group

Choosing electives

I'm entering into first-year university this upcoming September and this is the year where we take prerequisite courses for our target faculty (obviously I'm going into the faculty of pharmacy :rolleyes: ). Aside from these prerequisites, we are also required to choose electives.

My question is if there are any particular courses I should take that would generally help me in the long run. Perhaps psychology, another maths course, philosophy, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Bearing in mind i have no idea what possible choices are; if pharmacology is an option that'd be good to do. Other than that any sort of organic chemistry or human iology/physiology would help you.
I personally wouldn't bother with psychology or philosophy.
Reply 2
Do every school of pharmacy have to take an elective subject? as we havent been told anything at UEA
The electives bit is not something i'm over familiar with. In first year some modules were decided on the basis of previous experience. ( If you didn't do A level maths/physcis/biology, you did foundation bits in those subjects).

Other than that the only choice we got was in final year, where you get to choose what area of pharmacy you'd prefer to do project/essay in. You also got to choose 1 subject in each semester of 4th year, but not a huge amount of choice overall thoguh.
It's because the OP is from Canada so I'm presuming they're talking about electives over there.

Generally the only choice you get in a pharmacy degree in the UK is with your final year project.
Reply 5
Strathclyde allows 1st year pharmacists to chose an elective or two adding up to 20 credits over the year. The uni generally provides a list and really they are just extra pointless classes, I did french! but others included herbal meds, immunology and forensics.
I'd heard about the strathclyde electives but apparently it happens at RGU as well since it's also a scottish uni. Anyone going to RGU this following year? Im just going to see what happens when I get there I reckon :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending