The Student Room Group

2024 Pharmacy applicants mega-thread

Welcome to the 2024 Pharmacy Thread

Post all questions, comments and thoughts here -
where are you applying, what are your A levels, your thoughts about Open Days, why did you choose Pharmacy - and all that sort of stuff.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
which unis is everyone applying to?
Original post by Vik1006
which unis is everyone applying to?

I was thinking of applying to ucl and kcl and use the rest of my options for dentistry but I'm not too sure because those unis in particular might have higher competition and I'll be applying with a dentistry personal statement. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Reply 3
Original post by CarrotFluff
I was thinking of applying to ucl and kcl and use the rest of my options for dentistry but I'm not too sure because those unis in particular might have higher competition and I'll be applying with a dentistry personal statement. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Email the Unis and ask what their policy is - some Uni will not accept 2nd Personal Statements, and some will not accept 5th-choice applications at all for certain subjects.

Btw, Bath has no problem with 5th choice applications for Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Chemistry, Biosciences or Natural Sciences.
Original post by McGinger
Email the Unis and ask what their policy is - some Uni will not accept 2nd Personal Statements, and some will not accept 5th-choice applications at all for certain subjects.

Btw, Bath has no problem with 5th choice applications for Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Chemistry, Biosciences or Natural Sciences.

Thank you for the information. I emailed ucl and they said that they won't be accepting a separate personal statement. I'm considering replacing one of my options with Bath now.
i want to apply to pharmacy at kings college london. my stats are as follows:
GCSEs:
biology - 6
chemsitry - 8
physics - 6
maths - 7
english literature - 7
english language - 7
computer science - 9
geography - 8
french - 9
business - 8

A levels:
biology - A
chemistry - B
Maths - A

I have volunteered with kids, at a nursing home, at willen hospice and a charity shop. I have shadowed a physiotherapist at the hospice. I have participated in gold DofE and NCS. Chemistry olympiad silver award. I have also completed an online course.

I have hospital WEX but not pharmacy WEX. However i'm still searching and hopefully i'll have something arranged in time to write my personal statement.

Considering these things do you think I have a chance at an interview offer
Reply 6
Anyone here resitting & reapplying for Mpharm this year? If so, What Uni's are y'all considering?
Reply 7
Original post by Lolsssssss
Anyone here resitting & reapplying for Mpharm this year? If so, What Uni's are y'all considering?

Bath accepts resits for MPharm - and A levels taken over 3 years.
For those who want to study in the Midlands/ north, which MPharm courses have you taken a shine to and why? Are there any that you would avoid and why?
Reply 9
Anyone had interviews/offers yet? Have applied for Lincoln, DMU and Nottingham (sent on Friday) and I’m losing my mind checking emails and track🫠
Reply 10
Original post by Elleanorhs
Anyone had interviews/offers yet? Have applied for Lincoln, DMU and Nottingham (sent on Friday) and I’m losing my mind checking emails and track🫠

Most Unis will not even have started processing new applications yet, never mind sending out interview invitations.
You are going to need to bee much more patient. And resit checking emails all the time - you will drive yourself nuts.
Original post by McGinger
Most Unis will not even have started processing new applications yet, never mind sending out interview invitations.
You are going to need to bee much more patient. And resit checking emails all the time - you will drive yourself nuts.

Ahhh I should be better, it’s my third time applying (health reasons)- Lincoln just advised me to submit UCAS application promptly when I made an enquiry to them last week, which has made me a little antsy (I also have autism so I wish it was as simple as being patient, I guess I’ll be rocking in a corner by the time interview invites get sent😅)

I’ve never applied this early so have no idea what to expect in terms of timelines, but my previous applications got me offers/invites within days (Kingston, Medway, UEA) and the consensus from google is that they can send them at any time so I was running with that, thank you- I’ll try to calm down for a few weeks!😊
Original post by Elleanorhs
Ahhh I should be better, it’s my third time applying (health reasons)- Lincoln just advised me to submit UCAS application promptly when I made an enquiry to them last week, which has made me a little antsy (I also have autism so I wish it was as simple as being patient, I guess I’ll be rocking in a corner by the time interview invites get sent😅)

I’ve never applied this early so have no idea what to expect in terms of timelines, but my previous applications got me offers/invites within days (Kingston, Medway, UEA) and the consensus from google is that they can send them at any time so I was running with that, thank you- I’ll try to calm down for a few weeks!😊

I am so scared checking my UCAS page because what if I have some sort of freak accident and accidentally withdraw my choice - I'm always checking my emails now
Reply 13
i've applied for kcl, ucl, manchester, birmingham and bath
what kind of work experience do you need to apply for pharmacy?
Original post by student_5253

I wouldn’t think unis NEED work experience, but I would say any work experience opportunity you had in any healthcare setting, be it a pharmacy… hospital… would help. If not, maybe volunteering would help as well, for example voluntary teaching, or any experience that allows transferable skills to be acquired, for example communication and empathy.
Reply 16

You don need specifically w/exp in a Pharmacy - but experience of any sort of customer service or 'dealing with people' is useful.
Reply 17
hi guys i'm kind of stressed is it necessary for me to send off my application for pharmacy around this time or would my application be equally considered with the rest even if i do send it later (before deadline obviously)? i've seen people say if you send it late there is a smaller chance of an offer as all the spaces would have been filled up but honestly i'm no where near ready to submit my personal statment is not perfected yet.
Actually I had a similar inquiry. I was originally going to study medicine but I didn’t get the grades so I started preparing for pharmacy. Although I have hospital WEX and a lot of volunteering experience, I don’t have extra/super curriculars related to pharmacy, therefore the earliest I can send my application is by December. Will this in any way put me at a disadvantage?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 19
Actually I had a similar inquiry. I was originally going to study medicine but I didn’t get the grades so I started preparing for pharmacy. Although I have hospital WEX and a lot of volunteering experience, I don’t have extra/super curriculars related to pharmacy, therefore the earliest I can send my application is by December. Will this in any way put me at a disadvantage?

Useful Pharmacy PS resources here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7281139
You do not need w/ex of actually working in a Pharmacy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending