The Student Room Group

For people who claim to care about personality...

People say "oh I find personality important more than anything else" but thats just nonsense isn it? You don't see fat hairy women with 10/10 athlete guys...do you?
Couples usually are within about +-2.5/10 of each other. After that, within that bracket of people that are as good looking as you, you find someone that is of a similar personality. That is how it works. Looks come first.

And really, would you say no to a girl that looked like this? Even if she was a bit annoying?

No.
Reply 1
Original post by Arvindasaur

People say "oh I find personality important more than anything else" but thats just nonsense isn it? You don't see fat hairy women with 10/10 athlete guys...do you?
Couples usually are within about +-2.5/10 of each other. After that, within that bracket of people that are as good looking as you, you find someone that is of a similar personality. That is how it works. Looks come first.

And really, would you say no to a girl that looked like this? Even if she was a bit annoying?

No.

Is this girl meant to be appealing?

You are right in that looks plays a part in relationships but it isn't the most important aspect. The example you've given of "fat hairy women with athletic men," is rather odd as chances are they may not click or have anything in common and it is of a rarity and I have no idea what you are insinuating. Personality is very important, if I like someone and they have a good personality, I will favour that over looks. Sure I need to be attracted to them but personality is important. Are you saying you want a really good looking person who is boring and not on your level at all? Trust me, when you've been with someone for a while, the looks fade and it's the personality that ends up topping trumps over everything.
Looks are obviously important but personality is what holds things together after the initial attraction phase :yep:
Reply 4
looks like a man, nice square features

also : no glow, no care.
Reply 5
Original post by Indeterminate
Looks are obviously important but personality is what holds things together after the initial attraction phase :yep:

Exactly what my post says.

Looks first

Then find someone with a similar or compatible personality
Reply 6
Original post by Rhythmical
You are right in that looks plays a part in relationships but it isn't the most important aspect. The example you've given of "fat hairy women with athletic men," is rather odd as chances are they may not click or have anything in common and it is of a rarity and I have no idea what you are insinuating. Personality is very important, if I like someone and they have a good personality, I will favour that over looks. Sure I need to be attracted to them but personality is important. Are you saying you want a really good looking person who is boring and not on your level at all? Trust me, when you've been with someone for a while, the looks fade and it's the personality that ends up topping trumps over everything.

No my point is that a 2/10 girl will never have a chance with a 10/10 guy and vica versa. No matter how compatible they are in terms of personality.

Lets take two doctors at the same stage of their training who are in the same hospital and both into rock music and travelling, if you want. One is an attractive male, the other is a very overweight girl. They will never be a couple. Even if they are super compatible. Because the guy will want a girl that is attractive with similar interests. Swap the genders if you want.
Exactly what my post says.

Looks first

Then find someone with a similar or compatible personality

But I didn't say that personality isn't considered in that initial phase (although we obviously see people before we talk to them so that's where the importance of looks comes into play).

Like you wouldn't agree to be in a relationship with someone that you've only seen and never spoken to because you know it's important to get along well.
Reply 8
some people date people significantly less attractive than them so they can feel beautiful af and they know that bitch ain't cheating
that was a joke b4 i get beheaded
No my point is that a 2/10 girl will never have a chance with a 10/10 guy and vica versa. No matter how compatible they are in terms of personality.

Lets take two doctors at the same stage of their training who are in the same hospital and both into rock music and travelling, if you want. One is an attractive male, the other is a very overweight girl. They will never be a couple. Even if they are super compatible. Because the guy will want a girl that is attractive with similar interests. Swap the genders if you want.

I understand your point, however I've never understood how you can place people's attractiveness on a scale of 1-10, it's impossible. What will be the criteria for her/him being 10/10 or 5/10. Again looks are subjective so we cannot judge those who may find people attractive that we don't. What one might find hot is another's average.

You're a bit extreme. Whilst I agree that looks are probably the most significant factor I know a few good blokes that society would refer to as 7-8's going out with 4-6 girls. Take Hugh Jackman and Debora Lee-Furness for example, one of the reasons I have a lot of respect for Jackman.
Looks will draw you to someone but it's the personality that'll keep you around.
Reply 12
Original post by TheFarmerLad
You're a bit extreme. Whilst I agree that looks are probably the most significant factor I know a few good blokes that society would refer to as 7-8's going out with 4-6 girls. Take Hugh Jackman and Debora Lee-Furness for example, one of the reasons I have a lot of respect for Jackman.

Original post by Namita Gurung
Looks will draw you to someone but it's the personality that'll keep you around.

Yes but people who claim that personality is the most important thing are just liars.
Original post by Namita Gurung

That's pretty much what I would say - say you did date someone because they're good looking. Beauty fades, and then you're stuck with their crappy personality. So... To conclude, personality does matter. More so than looks.
Yes but people who claim that personality is the most important thing are just liars.

How do you know? You're not them. Some people genuinely care about personality. Plus who said looks are the most important thing either. Looks and personality (more so) go hand in hand. (For me anyway)
What did you expect to get out of this thread? Yes, people do care about looks but that is part of the attraction? People that date people solely based on looks are shallow.

Quick Reply

Latest