The Student Room Group

why TSR needs to get in the bin

I hate this website so much, it's so unrepresentative you only see people with 5A* applying to uni it makes you not even want to try anymore. Like since when was it normal to feel like a failure with 3A*?
Original post by Anonymous
I hate this website so much, it's so unrepresentative you only see people with 5A* applying to uni it makes you not even want to try anymore. Like since when was it normal to feel like a failure with 3A*?

There are many, many, TSR users who have grade profiles well below A*A*A*. I know because I often reply to the questions they ask about the best places to apply.

Whilst TSR may well be unrepresentative (I've not seen any stats, but that seems plausible), it's certainly not the preserve of high achievers.
Original post by Anonymous #1

That's only for Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, Oxford, UCL, Durham, KCL, SOAS, Bristol, QMUL, York, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds and a few to name. Most other universities only ask for A to C grades. Whilst the former polys take D/E/U candidates via Clearing on Results Day.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
I don't know why people are so bothered. What others do (or claim to do) is immaterial to your life. Just crack on with your own stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
I don't know why people are so bothered. What others do (or claim to do) is immaterial to your life. Just crack on with your own stuff.

Yeah thats all good but if many are applying to the same university as you with better grades on tsr it can be demotivating. the website is draining and you need to learn to empathise with people (classic case of the chronically online tsr user). my point is that of course it doesnt matter what others do but if you are doing what you want to do regardless but people are saying i got 20A* on this platform and no normal person is applying to your universities its very unrepresentative and causes unnecessary anxiety. but feel free to just defend tsr so much because you have no life outside of it as you are on literally every thread. maybe you dont see the problems with it because you are on it so much you think it is reality
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah thats all good but if many are applying to the same university as you with better grades on tsr it can be demotivating. the website is draining and you need to learn to empathise with people (classic case of the chronically online tsr user). my point is that of course it doesnt matter what others do but if you are doing what you want to do regardless but people are saying i got 20A* on this platform and no normal person is applying to your universities its very unrepresentative and causes unnecessary anxiety. but feel free to just defend tsr so much because you have no life outside of it as you are on literally every thread. maybe you dont see the problems with it because you are on it so much you think it is reality

Have you considered that a great many of the "A*A*A*A* and worried about getting in to Oxbridge!!!1" threads are trolls trying to get a rise out of people? Because they are.
Reply 6

Oh bore off.

I spend every working day looking after the interests of genuinely vulnerable students, don't lecture me about empathy.

Ironically, if you were less online, TSR ******** wouldn't affect you half as much. Take your own advice.
Lmaooooo, what you're describing is basically the parody of TSR that's mocked relentlessly on other websites. Don't compare yourself to others, just do your best.
Reply 8
Don't be jealous or intimidated by any of the claims made by TSRs collection of fantasist A level bragger trolls. :smile:
Most of them are likely either bored 12 year olds or jerks in their 40s with no qualifications to their name (except for asbo)
who are living in a relative's basement whilst claiming unemployment welfare cash and pretending to be an academic high achieving teenager online. :stupid:

Don't waste you time obsessing over other people's grades.
Nor comparing you life with your best guess of what their lives must be like.
Instead focus on achieving your own ambitions, doing the things that you find most enjoyable irl and working toward building the happy future life that you want.
Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by the bear

thanks xx
Reply 11

There is a place for everyone in this world. And where as there are some who are highly academic, that is not to say there is no shortage for people with skills including empathy, leadership, teamwork or the desire to help others. Education is about as far removed from the real world as you can get and it is easy to think that everything in life revolves around the ability to answer questions on a piece of paper. It is not. So do your best, get out into the world and start experiencing it and if you are as lucky as me, by the time you are 40 you will have figured out what you want to do when you grow up!
Reply 12
TSR may have its flaws but is much, much better as a source of advice than other forums I've seen. Its very easy to be critical and then throw the baby out with the bathwater.
You just have to ignore anyone with a really strong, unvariable opinion. There's plenty of great advice (mostly for medics and vets though, have to admit that one). Personally I think some people on here are frankly intolerant and jump down people's throats too quickly, even when some of them are clearly in positions of authority (as in, are teachers or lecturers), so you'd think they might think twice before cutting somebody they don't know down to size. But there are others who seem to care more for how their words are received.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending