The Student Room Group

SHM frequencies of driver and oscillator

How does the frequency of an object undergoing forced oscillations vary with the frequency of the driving force? Does it always have the same frequency as the driving force?
Reply 1
Original post by 1lilypad1
How does the frequency of an object undergoing forced oscillations vary with the frequency of the driving force? Does it always have the same frequency as the driving force?

This graph should help you get to your answer, but if it is forced oscillation, it's not SHM anymore right?
Reply 2
Original post by Reda2
This graph should help you get to your answer, but if it is forced oscillation, it's not SHM anymore right?

I can't see a graph anywhere

True, it's not SHM, but it comes under the topic of SHM in the textbook.
This is the graph Reda is referring to:

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I can't see a graph anywhere

True, it's not SHM, but it comes under the topic of SHM in the textbook.

hehe, my bad, I forgot the graph :smile:

resonance-graph.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by Bobjim12
This is the graph Reda is referring to:

Exactly that :wink:

No, the only time that the natural frequency of the system is equal to the forcing frequency is when there is resonance. All other times, they are not the same and the graph in the responses above would show how they vary with each other.
Reply 7
I've seen that graph lots, but what I'm really after is one of frequency of oscillator against driving frequency. I haven't been able to find one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I've seen that graph lots, but what I'm really after is one of frequency of oscillator against driving frequency. I haven't been able to find one

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will be always the same right? The driving frequency becomes the oscillator source. I'm not sure about this. So it will just be a straight line?

Quick Reply

Latest