The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please define what 'constitutional rights' was referring to/includes - many, many thanks x
Think I've stuffed this exam but hey ho one of them had to go wrong eventually

I think the limitations was only one sided because it was "assess" the points you make for limits of the court, at least that's what I did anyway
Original post by miacat
Think I've stuffed this exam but hey ho one of them had to go wrong eventually

I think the limitations was only one sided because it was "assess" the points you make for limits of the court, at least that's what I did anyway

I remember it being 'explain the limitations on the powers of the supreme court' not assess?
Original post by JonesyA0
I remember it being 'explain the limitations on the powers of the supreme court' not assess?

Me too!
Original post by JonesyA0

It was definitely assess the limitations

Posted from TSR Mobile
The question was assess the limitations, so I just explained what they are and how effective they are. An example is that they're limited by checks from the President as he appoints the members, but this isn't effective because once they're appointed they sit for life and are not accountable to him. An example of this is Souter who was appointed by George H.W. Bush for his Conservative views on abortion but he turned out to be one of it's most liberal members - voter for abortion in Planned Parenthood v Casey.
Original post by Tezcatlipoca12
The question was assess the limitations, so I just explained what they are and how effective they are. An example is that they're limited by checks from the President as he appoints the members, but this isn't effective because once they're appointed they sit for life and are not accountable to him. An example of this is Souter who was appointed by George H.W. Bush for his Conservative views on abortion but he turned out to be one of it's most liberal members - voter for abortion in Planned Parenthood v Casey.

I wrote about the 16th amendment (pollock), presidential influence (affordable care act cases), appellate court (obergefell being referred), and public opinion (mcdonald v chicago)
Original post by SarahAstill98
Mostly wrote about the judiciary and just gave loads of cases,briefly mentioned the president and congress and how there is equal representation in the senate.
So arguing that they dont protect states rights:
President has made secret deals without state or congressional consent.
Congress-bills take too long and not many passed through concerning states rights and legislation.
Judiciary:
Lee vs Weisman
Roe Vs Wade
Do protect rights:
Judiciary:Texas vs Johnson (couldnt remember the name in the exam though)
Furman vs Georgia
Brown vs Topeka
Gonzalles vs Carhart
Congress equal representation in the senate
President-elected by the electoral college
Feel like I messed up though as i didnt divide it equally,literally 2/3 was about the judiciary.
What did you put?

I Basically did what you did we have all the similar cases I also spoke about how the 3 branches must work together to protect constitutional rights & I also added the increase threat of terrorism meant that in recent years they were not able to protect constitutional rights, but I no idea on how it went.
For the executive branch i spoke out his executive actions Childhood Deferred Action (CDA) and the the dream act but also Obama executive order for gun, that kinda undermined the 2nd amendment I cant remember much else , and for congress i spoke out the recent cases of stand your ground laws and the black lives matter and linked it back to the question

but truthfully it was bound to be a little unbalanced as the supreme courts main role would be to interpret the law where was the other branches is more executing laws and making laws
(edited 7 years ago)
wt do u guys reckon the grade boundaries be ? for a and a*
Original post by adriansiuyikto
wt do u guys reckon the grade boundaries be ? for a and a*

Based on the past couple years it's been 69 and 68 for A* which paper it is I dunno but for an A it seems to be 62 for A and 56 for B
Original post by Breadcrumss
Based on the past couple years it's been 69 and 68 for A* which paper it is I dunno but for an A it seems to be 62 for A and 56 for B

u think this years paper will follow a similar trend or a lower grade boundary? june 2013 needs 64/5 to get an a*
Reply 711
That is lower than I expected
Original post by adriansiuyikto
u think this years paper will follow a similar trend or a lower grade boundary? june 2013 needs 64/5 to get an a*

If u look at 2010 when the A* was introduced they were around 60 possibly 58 but since then they have gradually risen and have remained at 68,69 for A* and 62 for an A I doubt they would be lowerer than that, but it they r 64,65 then that would be a huge benefit but more likely to 68,69 for an A*
Original post by Breadcrumss
If u look at 2010 when the A* was introduced they were around 60 possibly 58 but since then they have gradually risen and have remained at 68,69 for A* and 62 for an A I doubt they would be lowerer than that, but it they r 64,65 then that would be a huge benefit but more likely to 68,69 for an A*

Do u think this years paper is relatively easier or header than the past few years?
Personally I think they were pretty good tbh, I think it will be them not higher or lower tbh
Reply 715
Guys, best 3c and 4c revision books to use? Any heywood or edexcel ones? IDK which one to purchase!
Original post by Foji
Guys, best 3c and 4c revision books to use? Any heywood or edexcel ones? IDK which one to purchase!

Book called 'my revision notes' US gov and politics
gopvt pol mark scheme can be now be found
Original post by Sugar_1998
gopvt pol mark scheme can be now be found

Why would you do this :cry:I refuse to look because I know that I'll stress
Reply 719
Who wants to ruin their summer haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending