The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS French exam - 6th June 2016

I haven't seen a thread for this exam yet, so I thought I'd make one :smile:

What part of the exam do you feel most confident about? Do you have any tips or techniques that you've been using?

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking forward to the Listening- I'm confident with that. The Writing- well, anything could come up so we've gotta hope for the best (fingers crossed, Health & Fitness or Youth Culture, tho)- I've been answering previous exam essays on all the topics so I've got vocab for each one. I've got all around my bedroom walls grammar structures as well as useful vocab to use for the writing.

For the Reading- that's my least favourite but I've been doing past papers for those as well.
For Listening- past papers, French news.
#1 Do past papers.
#2 Try to listen to French news/radio as much as possible to get used to hearing French.
#3 Read French articles.
#4 Our teacher recommended our class to watch a French film and listen to the French radio whilst going to sleep on the night before the exam.

Hope this helps anyone :smile:
I'm so glad there's finally a thread for this! I think I'm probably most looking forward to the writing as it's what I've excelled at all year - I saw on a different thread for the writing question predictions that it's probably likely that relationships or music will be the topic for the writing question as they haven't come up much, if at all. On all the past papers I've done I'm ok with the listening but I always find the reading questions pretty difficult. At this point I just want to get this exam over with because I've been stressing about it a lot over the last few months!

For revision I've just been doing past papers (although I've done them all now), reading and watching anything I can find in French and using this website which is really good for learning all the verb conjugations :h:
Good luck everyone!
How did everyone find the exam?
I was pleasantly surprised by this exam - I was preparing for the worst! The listening was a dream, the reading was okay but I found question 6 pretty hard for some reason and the writing question was great; I'm just really hoping the mark scheme isn't too specific and that the grade boundaries are reasonable.
Original post by Squamber
I haven't seen a thread for this exam yet, so I thought I'd make one :smile:

What part of the exam do you feel most confident about? Do you have any tips or techniques that you've been using?

I thought that the Listening was an actual joke, especially the last one. It was harder than I expected. The Reading was alright, the questions where you had to answer in French were easier than the ones for English tho. The Writing went pretty well, I think.
Reply 7
Unofficial mark scheme anyone?
Reply 8
Ok so here's what I got for some of the listening questions...ish. Let me know what I've got wrong.

A - augumente
B - agees
B - rester hydrate
A - rafraichir le bebe

Tout le monde est bienvenue
Meme une petite baisse peut reduire la facture
En couverant the thingy (what did it mean?) l'eau se rechauffe plus rapidement
Certains laissent leurs appareils branches

La totalite
Obtient
Applaude (or something to that extent)
Creer des nouvelles emplois

And for the reading...

The last guy never does his shopping online and had his credit card stolen
The first guy got into trouble with the law
The first girl lost money because of her children
The second girl had her identity stolen and sent bad messages to friends

I got weird looks from the invigilator for this question because the stock photos were so hilariously bad and I was biting my lip to stop laughing.
The question about montreal. The last one in the listening part. What did you write?
Reply 10
Original post by asdfghjklñ
The question about montreal. The last one in the listening part. What did you write?

Something along the lines of 'le froide est bien gere, donc il touche les habitants moins qu'a Paris, parce que les batiments ont l'isolation thermique'.

Felt like there were something I was missing there but played the recording to death and couldn't pick up anything else. Really I just lifted it.

For the other questions, I'll try to remember but I think I've mentally blocked it all out. Will talk in English for convenience's sake.

- greater job opportunites there
- french workers are more respected
people that haven't worked a long time benefit because they can still move up due to merit
rents are lower than in Paris
the shops are open all week and close later in the week
cold is well managed, buildings have thermal isolation
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elen90
Something along the lines of 'le froide est bien gere, donc il touche les habitants moins qu'a Paris, parce que les batiments ont l'isolation thermique'.

Felt like there were something I was missing there but played the recording to death and couldn't pick up anything else. Really I just lifted it.

Yeah same... although i didn't compare it to paris. I also found the surf one quite hard.
Reply 12
Yeah same... although i didn't compare it to paris. I also found the surf one quite hard.

The surf one was hard to directly translate into English because there was so much vocab I didn't know!

My answers were roughly something like

only a small part of the population can surf
? can't remember - what was the question?
he wants to give something back to the Moroccans for their hospitality
they harvest the equipment and entrust it to the Club
now young Moroccans can initiate themselves gliding on the water
Original post by elen90
The surf one was hard to directly translate into English because there was so much vocab I didn't know!

My answers were roughly something like

only a small part of the population can surf
? can't remember - what was the question?
he wants to give something back to the Moroccans for their hospitality
they harvest the equipment and entrust it to the Club
now young Moroccans can initiate themselves gliding on the water

The second one was why did the guy go to morocco, and it was to practice or train. For the third i wrote to return the favour to the locals, i didn't mention hospitality. And for the fourth i wrote that they supplied equipment to the club
Reply 14
The second one was why did the guy go to morocco, and it was to practice or train. For the third i wrote to return the favour to the locals, i didn't mention hospitality. And for the fourth i wrote that they supplied equipment to the club

Sounds like you got those right, if we're both correct. Don't worry about hospitality, I added that one as an afterthought.

Yeah - I said he went to Morocco to practice when it was not surfing season in his home country.
How did you explain that: le sex masculin est plus faible??
Reply 16
Original post by elen90
Ok so here's what I got for some of the listening questions...ish. Let me know what I've got wrong.

A - augumente
B - agees
B - rester hydrate
A - rafraichir le bebe

Tout le monde est bienvenue
Meme une petite baisse peut reduire la facture
En couverant the thingy (what did it mean?) l'eau se rechauffe plus rapidement
Certains laissent leurs appareils branches

La totalite
Obtient
Applaude (or something to that extent)
Creer des nouvelles emplois

And for the reading...

The last guy never does his shopping online and had his credit card stolen
The first guy got into trouble with the law
The first girl lost money because of her children
The second girl had her identity stolen and sent bad messages to friends

I got weird looks from the invigilator for this question because the stock photos were so hilariously bad and I was biting my lip to stop laughing.

I got the same answers :smile: The last two french words for the filling in the blanks exercise were approuve and fournir, no?
Reply 17
How did you explain that: le sex masculin est plus faible??

I said 'la phrase veut dire que les femmes conduisent mieux que les hommes'
Original post by Najlac
I got the same answers :smile: The last two french words for the filling in the blanks exercise were approuve and fournir, no?

That is correct. What did you put for part 2 of that question?
As it is the new speification. Does anyone have any ideas as to the mark needed to get an A? I thought that the exam went well and I thought that the reading was really nice if you knew the correct tenses and grammar. Also, what tenses did any of you put in your writing? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending