The Student Room Group

Oxford 'Women in PPE Day'

I was wondering if anybody was going to the 'Women in PPE' Day at Christ Church College, Oxford. I haven't seen anything about it on TSR, so I'm worried there won't be many people there!
Surely as a student you don't have any PPE? Or is this an alumni thing?
Reply 2
Original post by Elivercury
Surely as a student you don't have any PPE? Or is this an alumni thing?

I'm in year 12, it's a taster day for the course and involves personal statement help etc..
Original post by meganm0ore
I'm in year 12, it's a taster day for the course and involves personal statement help etc..

I'm now guessing that when you say PPE you are not referring to personal protection equipment. Nevermind.
Why no men in ppe?????
So despite the fact that more women go to university than men and get better grades than men, universities like Oxford are still holding women-only open days.

Smh feminism is insane.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41571333
You should really read this; maybe it will open your eyes to how this is not 'feminism', but rather universities, like Oxford, trying to work their way toward balancing out the clear absence of women in economics professions. There are plenty of other open days that are open to all- including boys like yourself, surely one unavailable open-day won't affect your chances too much. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by siobhanf351
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41571333
You should really read this; maybe it will open your eyes to how this is not 'feminism', but rather universities, like Oxford, trying to work their way toward balancing out the clear absence of women in economics professions. There are plenty of other open days that are open to all- including boys like yourself, surely one unavailable open-day won't affect your chances too much. :smile:

I take that point there are less women in things like engineering, PPE, etc.

But to try and redress this is absolutely part of a feminist agenda.

Why is this bad? Note that in ‘genderless’ societies, like Sweden, the imbalance is even greater. The reason less women do Oxford PPE, or some other subjects like computer science, is because of natural choices that people are pre-disposed to make.

Note that more women do medicine or nursing. And yet, people don’t try and fix this imbalance - as that would go against the feminist agenda.

What Oxford should really be more of is events for us working-class boys: they fare the worst in education and are severely under represented in parliament (note that a lot of politicians do Oxford PPE).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending