The Student Room Group

Drop fourth subject?

I would like to study PPE/ Economics at uni.
I am currently doing four alevels and beginning an EPQ. Should I drop politics and would this put me at a disadvantage, bearing in mind the only other essay subject I study is Economics.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently doing four alevels and beginning an EPQ. Should I drop politics and would this put me at a disadvantage, bearing in mind the only other essay subject I study is Economics.

It’s possible to do, but you’d be juggling a lot and, honestly, it would probably be an awful year. You would be balancing your 4 a levels and EPQ alongside all of the work required for an Oxford application like wider reading for the PS, admissions tests, and the interview- while trying to find time to relax, go out with friends, maybe get a part time job to save for uni. Have a look at the entry requirements for the course. It’ll most likely be 3 a levels with high grade requirements. By taking on so much you won’t have as much time to revise and you may find your grades become more diluted, whereas if you focused on the 3 you’d have some more time. Many people successfully apply to Oxford with 3. Good luck with your application!
(edited 11 months ago)
What are your other two subjects currently and are you Year 12 or Year 13 atm? Have you sat any exams that you have to declare on UCAS? Dropping Politics/not doing Politics if your school offers it would look a bit odd for a PPE application, I would have thought...
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
What are your other two subjects currently and are you Year 12 or Year 13 atm? Have you sat any exams that you have to declare on UCAS? Dropping Politics/not doing Politics if your school offers it would look a bit odd for a PPE application, I would have thought...

Maths and Physics and I’m in Year 12
Maths and Physics and I’m in Year 12

Is there a particular reason for wanting to drop Politics over Physics? Politics is more useful/directly linked to both PPE and E&M at Oxford...
Reply 6
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Is there a particular reason for wanting to drop Politics over Physics? Politics is more useful/directly linked to both PPE and E&M at Oxford...

To be honest I keep having doubts about whether I want to commit to PPE. It seems like the career prospects that come with it are more linked to the uni than the degree. So I am really torn and always considering more STEM degrees as the job prospects are generally better regardless of the uni I end up at.

I wouldn't say this would put you at a disadvantage. It's not expected that you study it at A level, and many candidates don't. The important thing is that you do well in your TSA and your interviews to show aptitude. I didn't do politics at A level or GCSE, and my tutor just said that if I knew everything already, I wouldn't need a degree.
Reply 8
Original post by emilyalexandria
I wouldn't say this would put you at a disadvantage. It's not expected that you study it at A level, and many candidates don't. The important thing is that you do well in your TSA and your interviews to show aptitude. I didn't do politics at A level or GCSE, and my tutor just said that if I knew everything already, I wouldn't need a degree.

Hi just wondering what subjects you did study? And whether you think having two non essay subjects puts me at disadvantage
Hi just wondering what subjects you did study? And whether you think having two non essay subjects puts me at disadvantage

I did History, English and Computer Science (IB). It's recommended that you have an essay subject, but you don't need to do two. Your subjects are fine. A level essays are very different anyway, and we do so many essays for tutorials that you'll learn quickly. The TSA and your GCSEs will be far more significant in getting an offer than your A level choices.
Reply 10
Thank you, I’m really interested in PPE but are the job prospects good for people who do not want to go into finance and politics as these are the main lucrative careers I see for PPE degrees.
Thank you, I’m really interested in PPE but are the job prospects good for people who do not want to go into finance and politics as these are the main lucrative careers I see for PPE degrees.

Definitely, most people don't end up going into a career related to their degree anyway. Oxford PPE is one of the most prestigious degrees in the country, if not the world, and you're definitely not limited to finance or politics. It's also broad enough that you could go into a wide range of master's programmes afterwards, if you wanted to continue in academia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending