The Student Room Group

Approaching medicine with a 2:2 degree?

Hi everyone,

I recently graduated with a 2:2 from a Russel group university studying architecture. I was always torn between architecture and medicine however opted for a creative route. I realised I chose the wrong degree practically in the first year however was advised that my best option was to stick it out and change after course completion. Whiles the grade I have isn't what I wanted, I have learnt so much from such a rigorous, demanding course!

I just wanted some opinions on my options right now. As of last month St Georges isn't accepting 2:2 students for graduate entry and approx 2/3 unis would consider my degree with a masters. Considering I have spent so much money on a degree already, I don't think its wise to do a masters (especially for the sake of applying). I did an A level in maths and an AS level in chemistry, so I was considering opting for an access course & acquiring more experience in the NHS. But research shows the access course is limited to certain universities. Maybe I should complete A levels biology & chemistry?

I've also been considering studying abroad, I'm unsure as to whether European or Canadian universities will accept me. If anyone has any advice AT ALL, I would be more than willing to hear it! It's very daunting to have the whole world ahead of you but not know how to take your first steps!

(I didnt know where to post this!)

Thank you x
Reply 1
Hi BH,

I'm sure you must know that graduate entry medicine is a tough and Highly competitive course to crack admission to. Even if schools were to consider your 2:2 without a masters , ( which is not really likely in the UK)you would still need a really good healthcare related CV, the funds to sit GAMSAT, and then to be successful at interview. Above this, funding may also be an issue; it used to be the case that no funding was available for the first year of study, so you would have to stump up fees and living costs yourself, though this may now have changed; either way, its something to think about. Its also long, very intense and stressful course; are you up to such intensity so soon after your degree in Architecture?

I have no idea of entry requirements abroad I'm afraid, but this does not diminish the competitive nature of admission, the intense nature of the course, and the issue of funding, now coupled to the fact that you will be studying in another country with a different medical outlook and culture.

My advice would be to have a chat with some school admissions and see what they have to say, but don't be surprised if they are not enthusiastic, or ask you to go off and study for a masters. If you are determined, you will take on board their advice.

Sorry I cant be of any more help.
Original post by Blue hibiscus
Hi everyone,

I recently graduated with a 2:2 from a Russel group university studying architecture. I was always torn between architecture and medicine however opted for a creative route. I realised I chose the wrong degree practically in the first year however was advised that my best option was to stick it out and change after course completion. Whiles the grade I have isn't what I wanted, I have learnt so much from such a rigorous, demanding course!

I just wanted some opinions on my options right now. As of last month St Georges isn't accepting 2:2 students for graduate entry and approx 2/3 unis would consider my degree with a masters. Considering I have spent so much money on a degree already, I don't think its wise to do a masters (especially for the sake of applying). I did an A level in maths and an AS level in chemistry, so I was considering opting for an access course & acquiring more experience in the NHS. But research shows the access course is limited to certain universities. Maybe I should complete A levels biology & chemistry?

I've also been considering studying abroad, I'm unsure as to whether European or Canadian universities will accept me. If anyone has any advice AT ALL, I would be more than willing to hear it! It's very daunting to have the whole world ahead of you but not know how to take your first steps!

(I didnt know where to post this!)

Thank you x

Try posting in the medicine applicants sub forum- there are people who know the entry requirements for grad schools inside outside lurking around there
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195
Original post by jelly1000
Try posting in the medicine applicants sub forum- there are people who know the entry requirements for grad schools inside outside lurking around there
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Ria1970
Hi BH,

I'm sure you must know that graduate entry medicine is a tough and Highly competitive course to crack admission to. Even if schools were to consider your 2:2 without a masters , ( which is not really likely in the UK)you would still need a really good healthcare related CV, the funds to sit GAMSAT, and then to be successful at interview. Above this, funding may also be an issue; it used to be the case that no funding was available for the first year of study, so you would have to stump up fees and living costs yourself, though this may now have changed; either way, its something to think about. Its also long, very intense and stressful course; are you up to such intensity so soon after your degree in Architecture?

I have no idea of entry requirements abroad I'm afraid, but this does not diminish the competitive nature of admission, the intense nature of the course, and the issue of funding, now coupled to the fact that you will be studying in another country with a different medical outlook and culture.

My advice would be to have a chat with some school admissions and see what they have to say, but don't be surprised if they are not enthusiastic, or ask you to go off and study for a masters. If you are determined, you will take on board their advice.

Sorry I cant be of any more help.

Hi Ria!

Thank-you for taking the time to reply to me, and what you have said is definitely helpful. I do understand that medicine is a very competitive course and that the course I've come from is intensive. Bearing this in mind, I have decided to take this year out to gain some quality experience in the NHS and later apply in cycle 2017. I have so far experienced caring for my mum, coincidentally it contributed to discouraging me from taking medicine forward when applying to university initially.

Having talked to my careers adviser today (making use of great resources haha), I'm committed and I really want to get this right. She also advised me to talk to my current unis school admissions for medicine. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow at the open day and see what is said!

Btw fees for grad entry med sees us self-fund approx £3500 tuition in first year and everything is paid for there after. :smile:

Did you study medicine?
Blue hibiscus - What happened!? I'm in the same boat!

Latest

Trending

Trending