The Student Room Group

Low UCAT Score

Hi there, I took my UCAT today and I got a score of 2230 (agh) with situation judgment at band 1.

I had been hoping to apply to Warwick for Graduate Entry - the main reason for choosing this university is that I have a humanities background (2.1 in Eng Lit) and very sketchy science GCSEs... :frown:

I have done all the necessary work experience (a full year of HCA work, 2 GP Work placements and a hospital placement, as well as volunteer work - really strong references for everything).

Unfortunately my UCAT has let me down. While I'm gutted at only getting 2230 the worst part is I only got 490 on VR and on the Warwick website it says that anyone with a lower score than the mean average is automatically rejected.

Now, I know it's not possible to negotiate with medical schools, but I wondered if anyone has any advice on this? Do Warwick ever make exceptions, say if the candidate fulfills all other criteria and has an otherwise strong applications?

Alternatively does anyone know of any other universities that I might be able to apply for? I'm pretty sure there are none that would work for me based on the research I have done (except Newcastle and St Georges (SG for the five year) and I doubt either will accept my rubbish UCAT score). I know it's unlikely... Just looking for a glimmer of hope out there. TIA
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Hi, I went to Warwicks GEM open day last year and they said that the first thing they will consider is VR, if it's below the average then you get an automatic rejection as they won't even look at anything else unless your VR score is above average :frown:
Original post by Cat205
Hi there, I took my UCAT today and I got a score of 2230 (agh) with situation judgment at band 1.

I had been hoping to apply to Warwick for Graduate Entry - the main reason for choosing this university is that I have a humanities background (2.1 in Eng Lit) and very sketchy science GCSEs... :frown:

I have done all the necessary work experience (a full year of HCA work, 2 GP Work placements and a hospital placement, as well as volunteer work - really strong references for everything).

Unfortunately my UCAT has let me down. While I'm gutted at only getting 2230 the worst part is I only got 490 on VR and on the Warwick website it says that anyone with a lower score than the mean average is automatically rejected.

Now, I know it's not possible to negotiate with medical schools, but I wondered if anyone has any advice on this? Do Warwick ever make exceptions, say if the candidate fulfills all other criteria and has an otherwise strong applications?

Alternatively does anyone know of any other universities that I might be able to apply for? I'm pretty sure there are none that would work for me based on the research I have done (except Newcastle and St Georges (SG for the five year) and I doubt either will accept my rubbish UCAT score). I know it's unlikely... Just looking for a glimmer of hope out there. TIA

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your UCAT score. Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance of an interview. However, I'd say take this year out to build on your experience and put a grind into the UCAT. Spend a lot more time than you did this year i.e. 2-3 months. I'd recommend using Medify and there's lots of useful UCAT tips from medical students on Youtube. I got 690 on the VR which isn't amazing but on a personal point I started off getting 450-500 average but tips from Youtubers on how to approach the passages really helped. Medify also has useful videos on every section.

Aston has accepted as low as 1900 for UCAT in the last few years and they will accept a 2:1 degree in any discipline but I think they'll need Bio and Chem A-Levels so if you don't have them then it's unlikely they'll consider you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending