The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

What you have to remember is that those "old people" are the same people who voted us IN to it 40 years ago. If they feel that they haven't got what they voted for and that is changed massively (which it has) they have every right to vote leave.

One thing I can't stand are self-righteous 16/17 year olds who think they're entitled to something because they're most likely not going to die in the next 10 years on the basis democracy didn't go their way. This attitude stems from bubble wrapped children who were never told no by their terrible parents and also didn't have winners at sports days as "it'll upset the others", so they got a medal just for coming. Therefore a significant amount of them have never lost, been told no, never had ideas challenged and it has created the self entitled, self righteous attitude I've seen lately.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Stopped listening as you are only 18. What do you know? (annoying isn't it)

You are just regurgitating the most lazy right wing trope about the young commie teachers indoctrinating children and people getting more right wing as they get older. So what? You read a few right wing articles on the internet and now think you have deep insight into political philosophy that others lack to the point you think they shouldn't be able to vote. You are a flipping stereotype.

No we get taught biased left wig literature such as inspector calls and numerous other leftist poems. Our teacher always go on commie rants, it is true and trust me , my age group is ill informed. There are people on the left and right who have no clue what they are talking about

Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Young people can not be both politically engaged leftists and ignorant of politics at the same time. I suspect it isn't their supposed ignorance you have a problem with, they just have the "wrong politics". So really your position is that anyone with a certain political outlook should be banned from voting.

So everybody left wing is well informed, HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Yes they can be leftists and ignorant of politics( i.e know nothing about economics)

Reality check for you leftist, you can be right wing and ill informed.
You can be left wing and well informed( but at our age this is not the case and does not occur much) and right wing and well informed.(more likely IMO but you get the point)

The fact is most left wing people are ill informed at schools and its true because I experience it .
(edited 7 years ago)
As mentioned before, I thoroughly respect the outcome of the EU Referendum result. But I believe complaining about the result- like some people do- is as much part of democracy as the people who voted to leave.

The thing is, people easily categorise others- something i am guilty of doing too- and perhaps we ought to start judging people as individuals. To deny a large group of people a vote, due to a section, is wrong.
16-17yr olds shouldn't be able to vote because they're more likely to believe everything they read in the media? That's hilarious, considering a massive amount of people in the UK voted to LEAVE the EU because of the giant sign on a bus that said they would spend £350million on the NHS. H I L A R I O U S.

Personally, I don't think 16-17yr olds should have the right to vote, as much as it would favour my political views - the education on politics that they are exposed to at that age isn't enough for them to make an informed decision on what they believe. If however, the education system incorporated politics as a serious part of the curriculum from Year 7, in a non-biased manor, then 16+17yr olds are more likely to be able to make an informed decision that will benefit them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending