The Student Room Group

Online Tutoring jobs for 16 year olds

I keep hearing about online tutoring jobs for uni students, but I'm wondering if there are websites that allow 16 year olds who've done their GCSEs as well. I think PeerTutor allows it from what I've gathered, but I need to apply first and find out for myself. And if you are in uni, what online tutoring job sites do you recommend for upcoming uni students?
Original post by studybelle
I keep hearing about online tutoring jobs for uni students, but I'm wondering if there are websites that allow 16 year olds who've done their GCSEs as well. I think PeerTutor allows it from what I've gathered, but I need to apply first and find out for myself. And if you are in uni, what online tutoring job sites do you recommend for upcoming uni students?

Hi, sorry you've not had any responses to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon :smile:

What sites have you looked at so far? Have you had any luck since posting?
Reply 2
I’ve looked at quite a few sites: Tutorful( you must be 18) , MyTutor( I’m definitely signing up for that when I go uni), iTalki( you must be 18, but I am considering for when I am 18), SuperProf and Peer Tutor( the last two are hopefuls). SuperProf allows you to sign up as a tutor from the age of 13, which is great. The only thing is that other than it purely being a website to post tutor ads, it’s not streamlined just for high school and uni education, which is what I was looking for. Peer Tutor is purely to help high school students, which good. They say that you have to be at least 13 to use the site as a student, and that Tutors must only tutor subjects where they at least got a 6 or a B in GCSE, and that they have the verification to show this. So it looks like Peer Tutor allows 16 year olds to tutor. However, I’ll have to wait to get my results and apply as a tutor to see if this is the case.
I’ve looked at quite a few sites: Tutorful( you must be 18) , MyTutor( I’m definitely signing up for that when I go uni), iTalki( you must be 18, but I am considering for when I am 18), SuperProf and Peer Tutor( the last two are hopefuls). SuperProf allows you to sign up as a tutor from the age of 13, which is great. The only thing is that other than it purely being a website to post tutor ads, it’s not streamlined just for high school and uni education, which is what I was looking for. Peer Tutor is purely to help high school students, which good. They say that you have to be at least 13 to use the site as a student, and that Tutors must only tutor subjects where they at least got a 6 or a B in GCSE, and that they have the verification to show this. So it looks like Peer Tutor allows 16 year olds to tutor. However, I’ll have to wait to get my results and apply as a tutor to see if this is the case.

Gosh, sounds like you've been very proactive with it! Best of luck with the applications :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hi, I applied to Peer Tutor, and I got a job :smile:
0DD45CEE-D802-4D66-8062-5E28DBDCC025.jpg.jpeg

If you want to sign up as a student, you can add this referral code, ( 1YrPF4AoW) meaning that I’ll be instantly one of the tutors that the app will be assigned to help you out with GCSE Maths with written out answers and tuition to maths questions that you ask (mostly for homework 💖)

And if you’ve received your GCSE and/Alevel certificates, you can apply to tutor different subjects and earn Gems which can either be transferred as money at the end of the month, or transferred to your student account to get help from your peers yourself :smile:

If you want to sign up as a student, you can add this referral code, ( 1YrPF4AoW) meaning that I’ll be instantly one of the tutors that the app will be assigned to help you out with GCSE Maths with written out answers and tuition to maths questions that you ask (mostly for homework 💖)

And if you’ve received your GCSE and/Alevel certificates, you can apply to tutor different subjects and earn Gems which can either be transferred as money at the end of the month, or transferred to your student account to get help from your peers yourself :smile:

How much would you be able to earn roughly per hour through peer tutor?
Reply 6
Original post by Incede
How much would you be able to earn roughly per hour through peer tutor?

It doesn’t really work per hour-it’s more of an assignment comes up, you choose to accept it or reject it, and if you accept it, you’re given 30 minutes to complete it. If the student is happy, then they leave a positive rating, increasing your chances of getting more assignments. As you can see, it’s very much a freelance thing, so it won’t interfere too much with your studies :smile:

Here’s how it usually works:
Solve/answer a question- 1 Gem(£1)
Provide 5 bullet point feedback to an essay or work that is max 1000 words-3 Gems (£3)
Give a 30 minute live lesson(only permitted if you have a dbs check) -5 Gems (£5)

If you’re under 18( I had to ask them of this when I was applying), at the end of the month, you can either transfer the Gems to your student account to use when you need help, or get paid via your parents’ PayPal account( they pay via PayPal)
ive only done GCSEs and not A-Levels, would i still be able to sign up as a tutor or does I need to have done A-Levels
I'm getting my GCSE results soon and am also interested in tutoring so I got the app but it says that you need A-levels to be a tutor, is this new or was it always like that?
Reply 9
i know this was two years ago but I'm hoping you will still reply lmao. I'm having a bit of trouble completing the payment details of my account and it won't verify me unless i complete it which is actually annoying :frown: i'm also wondering if you're still a tutor on the website
Reply 10

how much does peertutor pay you?
Reply 11
It doesn’t really work per hour-it’s more of an assignment comes up, you choose to accept it or reject it, and if you accept it, you’re given 30 minutes to complete it. If the student is happy, then they leave a positive rating, increasing your chances of getting more assignments. As you can see, it’s very much a freelance thing, so it won’t interfere too much with your studies :smile:

Here’s how it usually works:
Solve/answer a question- 1 Gem(£1)
Provide 5 bullet point feedback to an essay or work that is max 1000 words-3 Gems (£3)
Give a 30 minute live lesson(only permitted if you have a dbs check) -5 Gems (£5)

If you’re under 18( I had to ask them of this when I was applying), at the end of the month, you can either transfer the Gems to your student account to use when you need help, or get paid via your parents’ PayPal account( they pay via PayPal)

Hey, sorry, but is a dbs check?? The one u mentioned for the 30 minute live lesson.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by rauk7014
Hey, sorry, but is a dbs check?? The one u mentioned for the 30 minute live lesson.

A DBS stands for Disclosure Barring Services, to put it short they check your criminal record to make sure you’re okay to work with children
Reply 13

How much do you make per hour?
Reply 14
Hi, could you link ‘Peer Tutor’ website please
Reply 15
Hi, could you link ‘Peer Tutor’ website please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending