The Student Room Group

Is being a street fundraiser really that bad?

Uni has made me broke and I'm in overdraft. I have to make £1500 before the start of my second year in uni. I've been applying for jobs but I've had no luck so far since there are very few temporary jobs available. The only sure job I can seem to find right now is a charity street fundraiser. But I've heard stories and I'm frankly pretty scared of becoming one but it doesn't seem like I have much alternative. Is it really that bad?
I can't think of a worse job. You are basically paid (are you paid if you don't get signatures?) to have people reject you all day long. And despite this, you have to appear cheery and engaging. I hate chuggers as a regular punter. They position themselves in a way that make them hard to avoid. Do you really want to be that person?

Good luck with work elsewhere!
Providing it's not commission only I don't think it would be that bad. I used to do telesales on the phone and of course you need to be thick skinned and brush off people ignoring you/insulting you and be able to stay cheerful but providing you don't take it personally there's no reason the job should be that bad. I wouldn't do it if it was commission only as you'd be likely to make very little.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending