The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orlandothefraser
is that for physics? There is a different system for engineering I think

I doubt Oxford are purely academic at picking
Original post by Jhfbrown
I went to an open day at Oxford and talked to a few physics teachers and the head of physics who all basically said the same thing. They will basically put everyone in order of how well they did on the PAT, and say 1000 people applied for 200 places, they would shortlist the top 200 people. They then also shortlist people who close to the top 200 that were sick on the day, and some people who were just under but had really strong personal statements. They basically all told me that all they care about is your PAT score, not your PS or AS or predicted grades. Then once you've been shortlisted, whoever performs best in the interviews gets an offer (and again this is purely achedemic, they don't really care at all if you're a well rounded person or anything like that)

So that means that the only two things they use in the selection process is the PAT and interview?
Original post by W. A. Mozart
So that means that the only two things they use in the selection process is the PAT and interview?

I think they look at your whole application but the biggest factor is the PAT and the next biggest is the interview, anything else usually won't be weighted very much
Original post by NatoHeadshot
I doubt Oxford are purely academic at picking

That's pretty much what they told me. A little bit of relevant extra curricular activities helps but definitely isn't necessary. They basically said that they only look at your personal statement at the very end if they're choosing between two similar people.
Original post by Jhfbrown
That's pretty much what they told me. A little bit of relevant extra curricular activities helps but definitely isn't necessary. They basically said that they only look at your personal statement at the very end if they're choosing between two similar people.

I was agreeing with you by responding to someone else, I think I missed a full stop.
'I doubt. Oxford are purely academic' is a better sentence
Difference punctuation makes huh?
I was agreeing with you by responding to someone else, I think I missed a full stop.
'I doubt. Oxford are purely academic' is a better sentence
Difference punctuation makes huh?

Oh haha nevermind then
The answer to the binomial question was 495 - I left it in the form 12! / (8! x 4!), would I still get full marks for that?
Original post by m3racer123
The answer to the binomial question was 495 - I left it in the form 12! / (8! x 4!), would I still get full marks for that?

They asked which term so you would need 4th term or 5th term or whatever the answer was
They asked which term so you would need 4th term or 5th term or whatever the answer was

Ah I put that down as well, think it was the 5th.
Can't quite remember the logs question, I think I got 11 and 10 for x and y, was probably wrong though as I hate logs!

I think the two equations were:

log₁₀10^x - log₃3^y = 1 (basically x - y = 1)

And log₄(64^x/16^y) = 13?

EDIT: My values of x=11 and y=10 work for this! Yay!
(edited 7 years ago)
Got the same answer.
Anyone remembers the list of questions ? I actually managed to get some free time this week, i would love to give it a go
According to last year statistics, roughly 1096 gave PAT for Engineering, and 490 or something were shortlisted for the interview... This year, after the BREXIT and all, maybe... just a rough estimate, that the number might have reduced to 900...

Original post by MichaelV2
Does anyone know how many engineering applicants take the PAT every year? Anyone willing to hazard a guess of how many people took it this year? Sorry physicists and PPEers but I'm just wondering what the engineers turnout might have been.
Original post by eargdfxcv
But that isnt an exact angle but yh i wrote that....

Tan-1 4/3 is 53 degree.. knew it! still got it wrong!

5th term it was... r comes out to be 4.. so r+1th term is the desired one(independent of x)
Does anybody know, when and how the results will be coming out?
Original post by TheSwift
Does anybody know, when and how the results will be coming out?

My college, Somerville told me that Ill get to know about the decision by 5th dec. Are u expecting an invite for the interview?
How soon will we be able to request our results? Is it best to wait til after interviews have been?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Orion_
How soon will we be able to request our results? Is it best to wait til after interviews have been?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess, its after the interview, you can ask for the results! You expecting an invite?
Original post by leonordo
My college, Somerville told me that Ill get to know about the decision by 5th dec. Are u expecting an invite for the interview?

Uh ok, that's quite some time.
I kind of am, I think I didn't do that bad at the PAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending