The Student Room Group

ipad or macbook for uni?

I am considering buying either a ipad (pro) or the macbook (air) for my uni studies. The ipad pro would be cheaper by £200 and my priority would be to use microsoft word. Would an ipad be enough for uni? I am planning on doing a chem degree and surely all i'll need is words, so is there any point of buying a macbook instead? Thanks :smile:
I have a mac and think it's great for studying, as well as everything else for that matter :smile: My iPad, whilst possible to use office and work on it, I feel is more suited to web browsing and watching films on.

I guess it comes down to the budget, if you have the money for the mac I'd recommend it over an iPad, and you should consider it an investment. The Air is great for uni as it's light and the battery lasts forever. Go try them both out in the store and decide then?

Also, remember you can get education discount from apple, search education store, knocks fair bit off 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by student_1999
I am considering buying either a ipad (pro) or the macbook (air) for my uni studies. The ipad pro would be cheaper by £200 and my priority would be to use microsoft word. Would an ipad be enough for uni? I am planning on doing a chem degree and surely all i'll need is words, so is there any point of buying a macbook instead? Thanks :smile:

I have an iPad and am planning to get the pro soon but I would advise you to get the mac as it holds it's value better and is far better for document writing
I just use iPad for eBay and business stuff which I does well
Reply 3
If your primary use will be word processing then I don't see the need to spend as much as either of those cost. I could advise you on what's best between the two but I honestly don't see the point in buying such expensive pieces of kit for word processing. However, if that's what you want then I don't mind discussing it.
The iPad is a waste imo. iOS is waaaay too limited to be a primary device for education, I stopped bringing my iPad to uni because all I can do is record and follow the slideshows on it, nothing more. Now it's just used for comics in bed and Netflix when I'm cooking. Plus the iPad pro will require the extra keyboard accessory if you do a lot of typing on it. Definitely go for the MacBook I'd say, if you get an Air its pretty much the same size but can do waaaaay more
As a word processor the iPad will be quite fiddly and you won't be able to type as quickly/easily as you will on a laptop, unless you buy Apple's keyboard case (which will cost you an extra £140).

The Mac is better, holds its value better, and is an actual computer instead of a tablet, so there is a lot more you can do with the operating system. iOS on the iPad will be quite restricting, as it's meant for mobile devices.

Back to the question though, if all you're going to be using is word, then I'd think hard about whether you really want/need such an expensive laptop...
Original post by student_1999

MacBook all day everyday.
Also worth noting that your degree might require you to use proprietary software which would require an actual OS, so having a Mac wouldn't be so bad - you can Bootcamp (dual boot) Windows as well.*

To fight the case for an iPad Pro though, I have the 12.9inch model which I use alongside an Apple Pencil for lecture note taking and it is one of the best experiences you can find - like it is one of the best digital styluses I have ever used.*

Overall though, you should invest in a MacBook - I'd say go for the 12inch MacBook, sure it has only got one USB Type C port but the retina screen is so much more of a pleasure to use, and the form factor is fantastic for a notebook/laptop.*
Reply 8
Original post by alexschmalex
The iPad is a waste imo.

And you think a Macbook is a better investment? lol
Original post by GUMI
And you think a Macbook is a better investment? lol

Considering they last forever and have insane resale value, yep
Macbook Air 11.

Perfection. :u:
MacBook 👌🏼

Quick Reply

Latest