The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

IPad for university

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some good advice on getting or not getting an iPad for University.

I'm going to UCL and doing a stem subject and know the amount of puka pads once can go through is ridiculous so wanted to go paperless

Was wondering if doing that would mean that I could for a cheaper alternative for my laptop was planning to buy a MacBook air or lower model of MacBook pro

Any tips will hundred percent appreciated
I'm just taking my laptop and I'm gonna type my notes on that. If you like handwriting then a tablet might be a good idea. Have you considered a samsung one as they are a bit cheaper and come with the pen included. I have my eye on the samsung galaxy S8 tablet but I deffo need to save up for it. (Just a suggestion tho as I know some people are very brand loyal to Apple, but I'm more of an android girl myself and it's worth not overlooking it.)

Another option is something like a rocketbook or another reusable notebook. So then you get the full handwriting experience like on paper then you scan it and store it on your laptop, before rubbing it out and starting again.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Cupcakes12
I'm just taking my laptop and I'm gonna type my notes on that. If you like handwriting then a tablet might be a good idea. Have you considered a samsung one as they are a bit cheaper and come with the pen included. I have my eye on the samsung galaxy S8 tablet but I deffo need to save up for it. (Just a suggestion tho as I know some people are very brand loyal to Apple, but I'm more of an android girl myself and it's worth not overlooking it.)

Another option is something like a rocketbook or another reusable notebook. So then you get the full handwriting experience like on paper then you scan it and store it on your laptop, before rubbing it out and starting again.

I only own apple products as hence why I earned to opt for an iPad I also have their airpods which means it makes it more difficult to use it with other brands.
Hi,

I use an iPad Air for notes and I love it. It took a little bit of getting used to, but being able to open journals/text books and annotate them on my tablet before transferring over to my MacBook has massively improved my productivity.

I use a lot of mind maps for my note taking, and being able to colour code and design them all in my own hand writing is amazing.

I used to retype my notes onto my Mac, but now I can just convert it using the tablet.

Mainly; it’s less of a faff and I remember things better when I write them down.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I use an iPad Air for notes and I love it. It took a little bit of getting used to, but being able to open journals/text books and annotate them on my tablet before transferring over to my MacBook has massively improved my productivity.

I use a lot of mind maps for my note taking, and being able to colour code and design them all in my own hand writing is amazing.

I used to retype my notes onto my Mac, but now I can just convert it using the tablet.

Mainly; it’s less of a faff and I remember things better when I write them down.

Hey I was wondering what course do you do and the MacBook you have as I’m wondering what’s the best model to get as I’m not getting the newest one
Biomed. What subject are you studying?

I have a MacBook Pro 14 (2021).

The basic rule for a Mac: get whatever you can afford. A MacBook Air is good enough for most subjects, and the previous (2020) Pro models use Apples silicon chips so are still extremely good.

Obviously Apple products are more expensive, but you can usually find good deals. And I do a lot of design and stuff in my free time, so a Mac is perfect for me.
not sure if an iPad is up to STEM notes.
You might be better with a laptop.
View a new laptop as being part of the 3 or 4 year uni cost.

most unis updated their lecture theatres with better charging but some spaces will require 8 hour battery life.
Macs tend to require extra kit to allow HDMI output (if you needed to share screens in classes) or even USB.

You can get a discount on a Mac (used to be able?) once you have an academic email. maybe even a letter of acceptance.
Might not be much but worth it.
Biomed. What subject are you studying?

I have a MacBook Pro 14 (2021).

The basic rule for a Mac: get whatever you can afford. A MacBook Air is good enough for most subjects, and the previous (2020) Pro models use Apples silicon chips so are still extremely good.

Obviously Apple products are more expensive, but you can usually find good deals. And I do a lot of design and stuff in my free time, so a Mac is perfect for me.

physics so a lot of practice questions hence I felt like an iPad would be very necessary for my mechanics modules. Do you think a MacBook Air (2020) will be good enough?
Yeah it should be fine.

iPads also have the mathematics input btw. Which is handy.

physics so a lot of practice questions hence I felt like an iPad would be very necessary for my mechanics modules. Do you think a MacBook Air (2020) will be good enough?
Would you recommend an iPad or a MacBook for pharmacy?
Original post by Tajahm123
Would you recommend an iPad or a MacBook for pharmacy?

MacBook for sure.

Having an additional iPad will be an added bonus.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some good advice on getting or not getting an iPad for University.
I'm going to UCL and doing a stem subject and know the amount of puka pads once can go through is ridiculous so wanted to go paperless
Was wondering if doing that would mean that I could for a cheaper alternative for my laptop was planning to buy a MacBook air or lower model of MacBook pro
Any tips will hundred percent appreciated
Ik this is late however I always think and iPad is better. Think of it as a 2 in 1. You can buy a case with a keyboard and mouse boom it’s a laptop then you can also use the pen and use it as an iPad. Much better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending