The Student Room Group

Which apple device is better for aerospace engineering student

Hi guys , I am a student who just meet the conditional offer in uni of Bristol doing aerospace engineering. I am looking for an apple device to use in uni. I have no idea which one is better and I am sooo confused. I have already got a laptop called Lenovo idealpad and it is weak . So I am thinking of buying either a MacBook or iPad Pro . If you would suggest a Mac, could you please advise me whether a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro is better .thank you 🙏🏻
Original post by lalalalaawee
Hi guys , I am a student who just meet the conditional offer in uni of Bristol doing aerospace engineering. I am looking for an apple device to use in uni. I have no idea which one is better and I am sooo confused. I have already got a laptop called Lenovo idealpad and it is weak . So I am thinking of buying either a MacBook or iPad Pro . If you would suggest a Mac, could you please advise me whether a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro is better .thank you 🙏🏻

An iPad Pro is great. I’ve used it with the apple pencil and GoodNotes to make notes for first year. I already had the iPad but bought the pencil on eBay 2nd hand and it’s worked perfectly all year and has been one of my best purchases. I used pen and paper for about the first week and when 90% of the class had iPad and apple pencil i switched to that and it was so much easier. You can split the screen in 2 and have lecture notes on one side and still write notes on the other. Or write on the iPad and have a laptop in front of you.

Doing aero you’ll probably have programming modules which require u to run MATLAB or python, so a fairly powerful laptop would be needed. I got a good laptop given by my uni for using MATLAB so was lucky with that, and now i just use this laptop. I was using a MacBook Air before but found this HP a lot better.

For most of the work, like lecture notes I’d definitely recommend the iPad, but you may need a laptop for programming so think about that.
Original post by fortified_shi
An iPad Pro is great. I’ve used it with the apple pencil and GoodNotes to make notes for first year. I already had the iPad but bought the pencil on eBay 2nd hand and it’s worked perfectly all year and has been one of my best purchases. I used pen and paper for about the first week and when 90% of the class had iPad and apple pencil i switched to that and it was so much easier. You can split the screen in 2 and have lecture notes on one side and still write notes on the other. Or write on the iPad and have a laptop in front of you.

Doing aero you’ll probably have programming modules which require u to run MATLAB or python, so a fairly powerful laptop would be needed. I got a good laptop given by my uni for using MATLAB so was lucky with that, and now i just use this laptop. I was using a MacBook Air before but found this HP a lot better.

For most of the work, like lecture notes I’d definitely recommend the iPad, but you may need a laptop for programming so think about that.

Just to note matlab is not very computationally expensive, and shouldn’t be an issue on even not particularly powerful machines. The benefit to computational PCs is if you operate CAD (this is very heavy on graphics) & CAE which is very very computationally expensive (depending exactly what you are modelling).
-
If you go with a mac definitely go for a MBP or air mac, an ipad is not a suitable main device for an engineering degree (only if a secondary device). Using mac will limit your ability to use professional engineering software as almost all programs are windows based. This isn’t necessarily an issue as your university should have PCs with the cad & cae tools you need for coursework it’s just not as convenient as on a personal machine.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest