The Student Room Group

can I work two jobs while doing a joint honours degree?

I've got a major predicament on my hands here. First of all, my parents refused to let me work until exams were over. Because I've never had a job before and I live in an area with little to no work oppourtunities it took me the whole summer to find a job. (I applied for upwards of thirty jobs and found nothing.) I've now got casual work at a hotel near Edinburgh but I only found this at the start of August. I've got next to no cash in my bank account and my student loan isn't going to cover all of my accommodation/textbooks etc... I plan on coming home for my weekend work shift (and because my strict parents don't want me in Glasgow over weekends) and so that'll be more cash in train fares. I need to pick up a second job during the week while I'm in Glasgow but I'm doing a joint honours degree in politics/French. I can't afford to slack in my uni work as I overcame so much to get there and I need to get high scores otherwise my parents will cut off the limited finances I have. How much time will I have to keep on top of uni assignments and studying if I'm working two jobs? I know I don't have to worry about tuition fees as university education is free for me but halls and train fares as well as stuff like textbooks and a new laptop (my current one is literally falling apart) all add up and my family just can't afford it. I don't care about going out partying tbh. I'm at uni to study and I need to do as well as I can out of this. If anyone has advice about time management or recommended hours I should aim to be working please let me know as I am getting desperate.

Tl;dr version: I am strapped for cash and will need to work two jobs: one at the weekend at my home town and one in Glasgow where I'm going to university. How can I worl two jobs while effectively studying for a joint honours degree?
Option 1: Maybe defer Uni for a year? Get a job/stay at your job for a year then go to Uni? And you could also volunteer at places where it could help get into the career you want??

Option 2:

-Sell items on Depop, Ebay, Etsy
-Go 'round to your neighbourhood and aks if they need their Dogs walking/clean their garden
-Bake Cakes/Make cards/Design your own clothes/Knit Scarves and gloves for the winter season and sell them
-Take up photography or Graphic Design and use that for Freelancing work?
-Make Youtube Videos
-Become an online shopper/reviewer (you'll have to google it and see how it work, i'm not too sure about it.)
-Do Paper/Catalogue rounds?
-Wash Cars or Windows
-Design your own lip sticks/coloured lip balms (vaseline/cocoa butter on a spoon, get an eyeshadow and melt. put it into a small plastic tub and wait for it to harden up. ) and sell them??
-Go fishing and sell fishes? (Not sure if that's allowed, but again, google is your bff)
-Design tote bags/shirts online and sell them

I honestly cannot think of anything else, sorry. Hope that helped. Good luck!! :smile:
Well I had a weekend job when i started uni, then after freshers I ran into serious money problems so I got another job doing night shifts in a warehouse during the week. Basically I was working about 60 hours a week and attending (nearly) all of my studies.

Needless to say I had zero free time and very little time to sleep, it was just an hour or 2 nap a couple of times a day,

I kept this up for like 2 weeks before I had a breakdown, after that I decided to lose the weekend job so I'd have some time to recuperate. After that it was still unpleasant because i was doing 40 to 48 hours a week at the warehouse, which was still too much for a reasonable student life.

In all honesty, it doesn't depend on how many jobs you have but how many hours in total? If the two jobs combined ask for 32 hours/week or less then you can just about pull that off while studying but any more than that would be pushing it, and you'll feel the pressure after 1 week.

Also: know your tax code and make sure your employer knows it so you don't get put in the crazy tax bracket that often results from having 2 jobs.
If you put your will to it, you can do it.
Reply 4
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Well I had a weekend job when i started uni, then after freshers I ran into serious money problems so I got another job doing night shifts in a warehouse during the week. Basically I was working about 60 hours a week and attending (nearly) all of my studies.

Needless to say I had zero free time and very little time to sleep, it was just an hour or 2 nap a couple of times a day,

I kept this up for like 2 weeks before I had a breakdown, after that I decided to lose the weekend job so I'd have some time to recuperate. After that it was still unpleasant because i was doing 40 to 48 hours a week at the warehouse, which was still too much for a reasonable student life.

In all honesty, it doesn't depend on how many jobs you have but how many hours in total? If the two jobs combined ask for 32 hours/week or less then you can just about pull that off while studying but any more than that would be pushing it, and you'll feel the pressure after 1 week.

Also: know your tax code and make sure your employer knows it so you don't get put in the crazy tax bracket that often results from having 2 jobs.

As someone who regualrly ran on four to five hours of sleep or less while at school and who did actually have a breakdown at one point your story put the whole idea into perspective for me. My weekend job is a maximum of fifteen hours over the two days so there's no real danger of me overworking myself with that considering how little sleep I can run on and the fact that it's not exactly hard manual labour. A week day job of fifteen hours on top of my weekend shifts (meaning thirty hours of work each week) shouldn't be too hard to handle I suppose.
Reply 5
Original post by LibertyMan
If you put your will to it, you can do it.

I won't lie, That's basically my life quote.
I've been working two jobs plus volunteering in an additional position for the past 2 years. I'm on track for a first in my joint honours degree. It's doable :smile:. Btw it's not up to your parents where you spend your weekends, you're an adult and if you're at uni in Glasgow then it's completely ridiculous to expect you to never spend a weekend there. Why don't they want you there at weekends?
Hi TinyPhasma,

I tutor many students who do just this, so it isn't possible but it often boils down to 2 things. What type of student you are and how demanding your course is. Some courses demand more time outside of lectures than others.

Some OU students, for example, hold full time jobs whilst studying. I don't want to go into too much detail here, but if you find my website you can see my professional background before I moved into tutoring. I did all my studying whilst working. I am currently tutoring someone through their MA who is head of loss protection for a High Street brand and he works full time. Most of the undergrads I work with have jobs and I think this enhances their CV and gives them a more grounded perspective. There were some horror stories too, another of my students had to work 30 hours per week just to survive. The pressure got too much for her and she ended up leaving, but will be coming back in September.

I think if you are very well organised with your time and be strict and realistic with yourself, you could have a good guess as to whether it will work for you.

Good luck.
I'd say no more than 15 hours during the week to give you time to study outside lectures. Probably best to give week end job as reason for going home each weekend. Go out 1/2 evenings in the week even if it's only to bar in SU. What have your parents got against you being in Glasgow at the weekend? Most nightclubs have student night during the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending